Is it possible to make NWN 2 not suck?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Ramen

Is it possible to make NWN 2 not suck?

Post by Ramen » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:55 pm

I mean, it's really easy on the eyes and all but, it's game play is so.... I have no words, only deep simmering rage.

Is there some overhaul I'm unaware of? Perhaps a server that figured out how to make it work?

I've only ever given the single player about 3-4 hours of my time, and about the same amount to a few PW's. So, I'll admit I'm not to well versed in the finer points of how terrible it is.

This can also serve as a NW2 rage thread if need be.
There's no room left for 'freedom from the tyranny of government'. Your right to live where you want, with companions of your choosing, under laws to which you agree, died in the 18th century. -William Burroughs

Cortex

Re: Is it possible to make NWN 2 not suck?

Post by Cortex » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:25 pm

To be honest, I find the face models creepy... they're like dolls, manequins, something. And I'm not even afraid of manequinis usually, they're just that creepy.
:)

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:27 pm

Ramen wrote:I mean, it's really easy on the eyes and all but, it's game play is so.... I have no words, only deep simmering rage.

Is there some overhaul I'm unaware of? Perhaps a server that figured out how to make it work?

I've only ever given the single player about 3-4 hours of my time, and about the same amount to a few PW's. So, I'll admit I'm not to well versed in the finer points of how terrible it is.

This can also serve as a NW2 rage thread if need be.
My understanding is there's a Baldur's gate server that's supposed to work well.
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:37 pm

There was a server called The Frontier or some such... it was set on an island not too far away from where Arelith is in the uncharted moonseas, but it was set in an expanded 3.5 universe where Bane succeeded and overran the entire mainland with undead hordes, dominating (known) continental Faerun.

It was pretty interesting- but then I moved, and didn't take my tower or my copy of NWN2, and everyone else I knew was still playing NWN1, annnd... well... here I am?

The toolset for NWN2 is vastly more capable, it's just less user-friendly. It can be made to do amazing things very well- it's just much harder.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Urch

Post by Urch » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:07 am

The game itself is cool. Controlling the ui, controls, and camera is like trying to get a Tasmanian Devil to bake cupcakes.
For only $1 a day you can sponsor someone with chronic altitis.

Another day, another Doug.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:49 am

I originally disliked the UI because right clicks and left clicks were functionally reversed from NWN1... but once I got used to it I actually found the UI to be more efficient, to be completely honest.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:59 am

Baldur's Gate Server was fun, when I tried it. I suggest playing through the campaigns and investing in the expansion packs; by time you finish the OC and companion adventure's you'll have the interface down. Took me a while to get used too as you expect it to play and feel like NWN1.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:32 am

I found that only one of the camera angles was usable, but it's been so long I can't remember which one :)

Yes, the controls take a bit of adjustment, but you do get used to them. Now, you should have seen them during beta testing, it was horrible. The final version is actually a notable improvement, some of the really clunky stuff was fixed.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:18 am

I recall being enraged by the loot bags. For some reason, I had a terrible time clicking on them without using pause.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:45 am

Someone completely remade the original Baldurs Gate campaign in the toolset and uploaded it as a nwn2 module. Which is no small feat, given how horrifically unfriendly the toolset is. Or so i've heard.

I didn't like nwn2 much either; the graphics were cool, the new skills/feats were cool, but holy hell, was it obvious the OC was rushed and corners were cut.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:51 am

The toolset isn't unfriendly, it just lets you control everything. And I mean everything. So making areas that look great takes a long, long time.

They are absolutely gorgeous when you do, though. I wonder if I still have any of the old stuff I worked on...
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:18 am

NWN2 was really just a beta program for Dragon Age. Now, if only Dragon Age hadn't stripped the multiplayer component from the engine, I would have totally played on a DA1 server.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:11 am

I can't tell if you're being serious, but in case you are, those two products were made my two different companies.

@Mithreas, you should upload screenshots. NWN2's toolset made my head explode when I poked around in it, couldn't even figure out how to texture terrain.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:23 am

It looks like my NWN stuff may have been lost with the hard disk on my old gaming rig in the UK. But I did find these.
anthill1.gif
anthill1.gif (257.79 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
anthill2.gif
anthill2.gif (258.74 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
anthill3.gif
anthill3.gif (256.63 KiB) Viewed 5187 times

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:30 am

Mithreas wrote:It looks like my NWN stuff may have been lost with the hard disk on my old gaming rig in the UK. But I did find these.
Made me lol so hard I nearly fell out of my seat. The "level up" at the end is really the icing on the cake.

Plz add this somewhere in arelith.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:35 am

:D

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:57 am

It's inspired by Image from Munchkin.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:02 am

So, I released a number of my areas from the beta (and other people's who contributed) in a module called GePoW (Generic Persistent World).

Even Google can't find it now, though, and I don't seem to have a copy in my personal backups. I did lose a hard disk on my main NWN2 machine about 6 years ago, and I think I may have lost it then. However, I have a couple of old computers here in Australia that I haven't been able to turn on for 5 years (US/UK voltage difference) so there's a chance I might still have NWN2 stuff on one of them.

I get access to them in a week or so, on current plans. So if there's NWN2 stuff on there, I'll post it.

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:11 am

Mithreas wrote:It looks like my NWN stuff may have been lost with the hard disk on my old gaming rig in the UK. But I did find these.
anthill1.gif
anthill2.gif
anthill3.gif
Wot.

>:OOOO

WE HAVEN'T INCORPORATED THIS ON THE SERVER YET?!?
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:18 am

We don't just give out levels on Arelith!

Though I could do the floaty text and play the level up sound without actually giving a level :)

mf_hansen

Post by mf_hansen » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:01 pm

Baldur's Gate Sword Coast Chronicles is THE decent roleplay PW server to be on for NWN2, with a few runners-up at lower population. After you've worked out the controls and UI to resemble NWN1 or World of Warcraft as much as possible. Top Down camera is still the only usable camera mode for my tastes, and Skywing's Extended Client is a must for better performance and a few crash/bugfixes. Still, something keeps dragging me back here :)

I still hope someone will make a fixed-lowlevel NWN2 roleplay server at some point, but the toolset is indeed cumbersome to work with; experienced quality mapmakers for NWN2 are hard to come by, so cherish them if you have them and don't ever let them go!
Send PM or find mf_hansen on IRC or Discord between 18:00-23:00 CET/CEST.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:40 pm

Mithreas wrote:We don't just give out levels on Arelith!
Idea: It could be an alternative to the speedy quest.
Mithreas wrote:Though I could do the floaty text and play the level up sound without actually giving a level :)
For the love of god, yes!
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:10 pm

"Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-ant dead-ant dead-ant dead-ant dead-ant"... Pink panther, right? :lol:

It would be so amazing if this was actually on Arelith somewhere!

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:12 am

JediMindTrix wrote:I can't tell if you're being serious, but in case you are, those two products were made my two different companies.
No. They weren't.

Dragon Age was developed and done by the Bioware. The same studio that did the Baldur's Gate series, NWN1 and NWN2. It's not even far fetched knowledge. The Eclipse engine, that powered DA, was a direct derivative of the Odyssey engine that powered NWN2 and KOTOR, which was a direct derivative of the Infinity engine, which powered NWN1 and Witcher.

But don't take my word for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:13 am

Obsidian Entertainment developed and wrote Neverwinter Nights 2.

But don't take my word for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights_2

Also: NWN2 uses a massively updated version of the Aurora engine that powered NWN and Witcher 1, called the Electron engine. Odyssey powered KOTOR 1 and 2, and possibly Jade Empire. EDIT: Infinity powered Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc; I think you've it confused with Aurora which powered the NWN and Witcher 1.

Here's a quote from the link that you provided:
Obsidian Entertainment (successor to Black Isle Studios) used an updated version of BioWare's Aurora, titled "Electron Engine", to produce Neverwinter Nights 2 (2006) and its three expansion packs (2007–2009). Like the original, the Electron toolset was released with the game.