To all that uses Temp shops and stays around them

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Silent Handshake

To all that uses Temp shops and stays around them

Post by Silent Handshake » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:37 am

Hello merchants of arelith or what ever you like to call yourselves :D
I am interested in hearing from you if you are one of the few people that uses temp shops while standing near it.

I have seen a few people do it and do it well, so i thought to myself to reach out to you and see if you were interested in sending a pm to me to talk more about it. OR and this is for all!

What is your experience with the temp shops?

What would you like to see done with those?

Do you ever see them being used?

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: To all that uses Temp shops and stays around them

Post by Durvayas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:39 pm

Temp shops are good for only a few things.

-If you're having a fire sale.
-If you're selling something very cheap and you don't care if someone buys the shop outright.
-if you're in a /very/ high traffic area.

They aren't used too often, because you have to stand around them or risk losing your inventory if you don't come back to them frequently.

Additionally, the cost of renting them usually precludes selling certain kinds of goods. A long time ago I tried to use one as a food stall, selling rations, player made wine, prepared meals, fruit, etc. And the 100 gold cost made it impossible to turn a profit. Anything actually worth selling would be better put in a permanent shop as a consignment.

TLDR: Too much time and effort to run a temp stall as a regular business. Too much cost to make them effective for entrepenurial lowbies in my opinion. Not quite enough foot traffic in most places to make them worthwhile.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Silent Handshake

Post by Silent Handshake » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:21 am

I dont completely agree that the shops are mostly useful when you have a "fire sale" or selling something cheap, its true its what people usually do with them from what i have seen but in my oppinion they are great if only people wanted to stay near them when they had wares in them.

the reason i got curious of what others thought is that i have used them myself and would like to meet others that would like to make a trade guild with me of some sort. I have already been doing this on a gnome some might know, where i only used temp shops around but mostly wharftown since that temp shop is just too cool but being alone often as you know suck :D

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:34 am

My now dead character often used temp shops, mostly in Andunor however. He had few very expensive goods for sale but he made most coin/infulence by fortune telling. You can get creative how to use the temp shop.

Few useful things when running a temp shop:

If you play during the non busy hours, prepare to be alone for a while.
I admit I have two screens I could do stuff while waiting, keeping an eye on the game. However a familiar is a good thing to have. You can send the familiar to go look for customers.

Once you get your customer and you manage to keep it there for a while, other customers tend to flock in there out of curiosity.