Mythic Characters

OOC General Discussion
great balls of fire

Mythic Characters

Post by great balls of fire » Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:06 pm

Hello everyone;

In a short list, who would you say are some Legendary Figures in Arelith History? Characters that made a lasting impact, are enshrined in In Character legacy of books, paintings, lasting laws, statues, their policies/practices are still implemented today, OR, you just really remember the character and their impact on you.

My own example:
Katerin Bersk is one that comes to mind for me, as even her Lodestar Network is still implemented in Cordor's areas, for example, and I think her tenure as Councilor was one of the biggest shake ups.

Edit: some people have asked for further clarification of 'mythic'
Can they still be alive? Yes.
Do they HAVE to have some footprint in a material object IC? No. it can be someone who is still vehemently talked about and remembered. Who is still being name dropped?
Do they have to have done something really cool/memorable? If they haven't, I'm really interested to hear why they're still being remembered/talked about so, shoot.

FURTHER EDIT:
If you don't agree with my definition of 'Mythic', add your own!

Spoilers:
I'm gathering this information to study what kinds of PCs are remembered either by the public conscious of the community or by the in character setting by some kind of lasting presence in items, module, policies, ethics, procedures, etc etc. This is spoilered because I don't want it to effect who you put forth!

Autumn Wind

Re: Mythic Characters

Post by Autumn Wind » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:10 pm

Dread-Matron Chenizra Xel'vraxa

The most "drow" Matron I have ever played with. The Don of the Devils Table.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:29 pm

Daedin still gets referenced regularly by non-historians.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Cthuletta

Post by Cthuletta » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:30 pm

Theodor Helbrecht. One of the biggest, well done, and talked about villians, even long after he died!

Juniper Oakley - A Little Bitey

Ny'aza 'Peggy' Philor'tyl - Travelling
Tiffa Took Hss'tafi - Happy in Sigil

Ellisaria

Post by Ellisaria » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:43 am

Vance Gravelle!

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:27 am

Amadeo Pnumea
Ayin Mesmer
Nelehein
Katar Black
Vippin
Jel
Sandrahir
Ghestiet
Scar Bloodletter
Nautilus
Palas

(Note I've absolutly gone for characters that no longer exist as a concious choice. I actually think a few of our current pcs are/may be mythic too? But I'm choosing not to list those because they're still active and it doesn't seem quite... fair? So like - we do have plenty of potentially 'mythic' pcs now, IMO)

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:57 am

It's difficult to talk about such things, because the majority of names that will come up are names from the past of Arelith when things were done differently and the server was smaller.

Comparing folks from the age of slower levelling and more DM events, and now, is like comparing theatre actors in the time of Shakespeare, and youtubers.

Not saying that there aren't valid folk in both eras, but that what quantifies one as mythical from one era, will by necessity be different from someone in a different era.

Old Lies Die Harder

Post by Old Lies Die Harder » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:20 am

Va'sarra Xunviir.
Thomas Miller.
Giogi and Alia Silveroak.
Moira Krauss.

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:38 am

Ayin Mesmer and Vivian LeChance are two that have consistently stuck with me. Their legacies keep on popping up here and there in subtle ways that are usually more tied to items and vibe than to direct memory of the character.

LeChance's strife tree creeps into memory now and then. As do Mesmer coils.

I interacted with LeChance maybe once, and Mesmer never, but they're both very cool nonetheless.

Aradin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aradin » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:29 pm

Most of the legendary folk who have made an impact on me personally and my characters' stories are still alive! Seeing how this thread is probably best reserved for the rolled...Vance Gravelle, Katernin Bersk, Amadeo Pneuma, and the ogre chief Karstaag come to mind.

My nostalgic Vance Gravelle tidbit: I met him once and only once on my first character Revyn, a golemancer. Revyn worked at the Tungsten Turret, around AR 150ish if I recall correctly. One day I was in there sorting through project archives when in strolled a man, soaked through from the rain. He very politely asked if he could use the printing press and we had a twenty-minute chat about nothing in particular while he did so. All the while there was a peculiar sense of gravitas about him, something compelling I couldn't place. When his copies were printed we wished each other well and he walked back out.

I never saw him again. It was only much later I learned who he actually was, and later - when he made it - of his sacrifice. I still remember that moment at the Turret, though. Characters like him are always mobbed by people, wreathed in friends and enemies both. As a first-time player, those characters were intimidating and felt impossible to approach. Everyone wants to be "in" with the cool kids, of course. Or at least I did. And suddenly, for a moment, I got to speak with an Arelithian legend one on one...and I didn't even realize it!

Who knows, perhaps he liked not being recognized for once.

Was Lloyd Grimm, Sai Aung-K'yi, Stink Spellworped, Ikarus, and Revyn the White.

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:31 pm

Rei_Jin wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:57 am

Comparing folks from the age of slower levelling and more DM events, and now, is like comparing theatre actors in the time of Shakespeare, and youtubers.

I'm interested, is it an established/known thing that there were more DM events back in the old times when most of the characters on Grumpy's list were around?

I remember playing back then and a DM event was still vanishingly rare.

Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:55 pm

I don't think any of these characters became mythic just of DM events. It was for their own merits, and how they swept up anyone in their vicinity. Not because they were specifically trying to become mythic; there are several I would explicitly not mention because their striving for fame felt a lot like they were deliberately trying to emulate other well-known characters instead of doing it for the story.

I'd of course chime in on Amadeo and Vance. Perhaps Rhaeg. Sydney Harrow. Katernin Bersk. Vippin, absolutely. Ilphaeryl Xun'viir. And I wasn't around for Ayin Mesmer, but my characters still hear about him.

Last edited by Eira on Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:12 pm

I'm a bit biased because I had a character who spent a lot of time around Ayin and was heavily shaped by his RP, but I feel like he's probably a strong shout for the mythic character of Arelith.

Like if you had to pick one from all of them, it has to be Ayin right?

Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:22 pm

Cataclysm of Iron wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:31 pm
Rei_Jin wrote:

I'm interested, is it an established/known thing that there were more DM events back in the old times when most of the characters on Grumpy's list were around?

Oh good lord no, that's not it at all!

Ok so be clear? The list above is very much a uh . Me The Person List, as much - if not more, from a player perspective than a DM perspective (Heck I probably should have answered on my player account, but NM)

I'm not sure of much? But I'm pretty much 100% sure that all the above weren't remembered for DM events - or at least not purely for, but they're epic in my mind for the general roleplay they gave!

Hells, you think DM events are rare now? You should play around Ayin mesmers time when, as I recall (I invite please someone to correct me here, I could be wrong) DM events were activly discouraged by the admin.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Malloney

Post by Malloney » Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:01 pm

Whether you love him or hate him, you have to put Karathas Morathil on this list. I almost feel like it doesn't even need to be explained either.

Very few characters maintained the notoriety, the fame or infamy (depending on your outlook), and led a Settlement for as long as he did.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:18 pm

Vance Gravelle, Sydney Harrow, and May'riina. They represented an era in the Erudite Arcanum that was really cool, and all went and did their own stories and did wild things. They're all characters I delighted in meeting because excellent conversation was going to follow. I wish I got to RP with Harrow and May'riina more.

Angela Amana. I know a lot of people are going to disagree with this, but she's someone I've always found reliable if I ever want to do mage RP or need to know something esoteric. She's a living library. And I know some people hate her for it, but I really like that she offers some form of stability and reference.

Red Ropes characters. He would go and shake things and had a tremendous amount of energy for it and would breathe life into areas. I especially miss Tyros and Aurlyn, they both breathed a lot of life into their respective areas. Qasi was really cool too, I wish the character was around longer but I get why he rolled. I'd love to see more high energy Waukeeners.

Kuma characters. Whatever Kuma plays, he will go and leave a mark on the server that people will be talking about for years to come. I have no idea when he played Ayin, but everyone talks about Ayin. There's some great Ayin books out there. Dimitrios was highly involved in the Cordor scry orbs, along with Katernin. The writing surrounding Dimitrios was exceptional. Uri made a museum in the Erudite Arcanum and gave me a tour once, it was so cool. And I've not RPed with his latest character much, but I'm looking forward to seeing what his foodie focus will lead him to do.

Charon characters. Ilphaeryl is a legendary drow that is so influential I know about her as a surface player. I met her a few times and had fantastic interactions with her. It was always terrifying seeing her and figuring out how much trouble I was in. Similarly, Ayiesha is an amazing character, and I'm glad to have been able to do so much RP with her. Probably less well known than Ilphaeryl, but was always up to a lot of things.

Elindros and Mariangel. They led a really inclusive sailing faction and focused on trying to get people into sailing, it was my first introduction to sailing. If all you wanted to do was fish, they'd bring you on board and let you do your thing, which is nice. Sometimes as a fisher it's hard to get out to do ocean fishing.

There's probably more people but I'll have to stop and think about it.

MarkRed

Post by MarkRed » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:48 pm

Everyone on this list has brought me to tears for one reason or another through RP, and I suppose that would be my personal qualification for a "Mythic" PC, I truly felt and still feel like it was more than just pixels on a screen, and I would not at all see Arelith in the same way or even still be playing it now if it weren't for our time together.

I wish I could go on for hours listing the reasons that they have touched my experience on here, but this is already a large list and some of these PCs are still active, but I entirely stand behind every name I have listed.

Brogendenstein: Honestly all of Brog during 2021-2022
Malek Dorn-Sternheart | Valdrin |Taggert Redbeard | Oak Vintergard | Maev...something? She was a Swash Elf who always hung around Brog in Late 2021 to early 2022

Guldorand:
Mariangel Del Tortilla | Ayeisha | Zemys |Pentunia Weatherby | Grymmriin | Hermes | Galanodel (The Selunite) | Rarade

Cordor:
Estelle Misthollow | Merialeth | Luc

Myon:
Azariah & the Aelorothi | Levius Tristimdorion (Silver-Wind)

Radiant Heart:
Slag Ironvein | Devon Marshal

Underdark:
"Nightmare" | Ambros | Vielyn(?)| Quillian | Faeris Orthae(?) | Saslae Xun'viir | Stink

Bendir:
Artemis Baatori | Sarah E. Rosewind | Clark TRIBE

Table&Chair Brick Wall | RedKnight Quartermaster | World's friendliest Tormite | Average Book Enjoyer Luskan | Stutter Elf Archer | Pie Goddess' #1 Fan | Best Slave Luskan | Deadpanned Luskan |

Communication, the only thing that matters.

Curve

Post by Curve » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:16 pm

Ran (where is the button)
Brenda Almsson (stole the words right out of my heart)
Ranuari (yma elf slave looking for love in cordor's red light district)
Vippin (self destruct button)
Joron (also im a werewolf)
Vonevar (then i ate my parents)
Volgbrot (papers please)
Huemacoatl (the way to the heart is throug the chest)
Gabriel Lace (angry garble)
Daniria De Sarr (dangerous pirate mommy)
Amadeo (be my father)
Nhymax (my actual father)
Erik Silverarms (wake up swinging)
Morgan Gracehold (play dress up and beat up the literal world)
Lucia (duh)
SAMIEL (the undefeated)

MegaJeff

Post by MegaJeff » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:53 pm

gaderel anjou

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:56 pm

I'd say the half-orc Horun was pretty myth worthy.

TatteredFates

Post by TatteredFates » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:01 am

johnny twin fang

gorehound

oturo

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:07 am

Heumacoatl

Anything that Archon plays (Khayal, Vance, Karathas . . I mean c'mon)

Mudagog

Va'sarra and Taly

Vivian LeChance and Heinrich

Tyros and company

Sydney Harrow

Anyone that shakes up the status quo gets remembered.

Captain_Siix
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Captain_Siix » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:42 am

Lilith
Gorehound
Jhaamdath and his brother whos name escapes me currently

Current PCs:
Vadion
Van

Past NPCs:
Horrik Hellbelch
Cassandra

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:38 am

It's a fascinating subject!

People tend to privilege the present or the distant past when they talk about this.

Character legacy, who is and is not remembered, can be very incidental and unfair. There are a lot of characters who did great things but played during or shortly before unfortunate times. There are times and places that feel more subject to canonisation than others. Some characters brute force their way into "mythicness" by refusing to ever go away, by possessing a settlement or faction for continuous stretches of time.

Cataclysm of Iron wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:31 pm
Rei_Jin wrote:

Yeah they were definitely much rarer. Months, almost years, could go by without any significant DM activity. I don't think being mythic has anything to do with DM events anyway. A truly mythic character is upstream of DM events, causes them, they don't merely attend them.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

solar separation
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Location: Space Station 3 (Have you seen Carmen Miranda's ghost?)

Post by solar separation » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:14 am

that salasker fellow is really the only character i can think of - as someone that's more of a recent arrival to the community.