Added Immersion

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Manabi

Added Immersion

Post by Manabi » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:50 am

I've heard of a few people who play the game this way and I've been giving it a try lately. Some major problems I've had is that there are no footsteps to be heard if someone is behind you. Dungeons? Absolutely infuriating and +10 to challenge.

I'm sort of new to this - but does any long-time first person view players have any experiences they would like to share?
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.

Manabi

Re: Added Immersion

Post by Manabi » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:51 am

Whoa, what did I do to my image and how can I fix it?

Anyway - more things. First, the Cons so we can get that out of the way.

-There is no footstep sound as far as I know, so someone could be standing "right" behind you with big clonking metal boots and you would have no idea.
-There is no way to look up. So, if you're playing a Hin, when you RP with someone your screen will be facing their crotch.
-The character knows things before you do when it comes to combat.
-Combat is insanely hard and probably my biggest complaint. A character could be dying and you would have no idea - you will often lose party members, summons, familiars, and have no idea. I guess this is part of a "real" experience?
-The turn speed in which you can move your camera left to right is insanely slow - like having the sensitivity on 3 on any first person game.
- Interior cells lack a roof so it looks like you are in a 400 ft. tall building. (not complaining about it, though)

Pros
- You're able to experience the world from a new angle. I just strolled around Bendir for about 20 minutes and noticed dozens of things I wouldn't have noted otherwise.
- More immersion and connection with your character - why else would anybody give themselves a disadvantage?
- It feels like a completely different game - back to my above post - you notice a lot of things you never would have put together. You notice the flaura, random mushrooms laid about, little tinkers and bits lying around caves. It is actually really really awesome if you are exploring a somewhat-safe area.

Overall, I'd use it in towns but never in a dungeon again. Bad experience earlier.
Last edited by Manabi on Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:57 am

My thoughts: It makes clicking targets, examining the battle field and attacking/defending clunky, the dated graphics of NWN1 also aren't that immersive for FP, since you'll be staring at a lot of literal blockheads who repeat the same 2-3 animations in combat.
:)

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:02 am

Oh yeah, combat is QUITE lame in this mode.

Kalimere

Post by Kalimere » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:13 pm

There's a mod you can get that "unlocks" the camera so you can zoom in and out a lot further as well as turn the camera to all different angles, up and down, which creates a more realistic "First-Person" mode by actually zooming the camera in until its inside your character models head. You'll have to forgive me however, for I do not remember what this override is called.
"I'm not grim."
~Andrej Cooper

".....Mostly."
~Also Andrej Cooper

Arther Goodmane

Post by Arther Goodmane » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:17 pm

Just to share some experience I once had. I was a co-moderator for a RP only Minecraft server, a few years ago. I tried my hands at role playing as I would any character in Arelith...but it was weird as heck. I suppose the biggest hurdle for most veterans of Arelith, is the fact that we have become accustomed to distancing ourselves from our characters...literally in fact. Role playing in first person view is kinda like Larping...and we all know how not-weird that is. :P
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:39 pm

For immersion I would prefer removing the compass and map and the dialogs completely. Playing in "first person", does not work too well in NWN. It hurts my eyes too much.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:40 pm

ActionReplay wrote:For immersion I would prefer removing the compass and map and the dialogs completely. Playing in "first person", does not work too well in NWN. It hurts my eyes too much.
Itd be neat if maps and compasses could be player crafted in game by people with a specific background.

Ramen

Post by Ramen » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:07 am

Kalimere wrote:There's a mod you can get that "unlocks" the camera so you can zoom in and out a lot further as well as turn the camera to all different angles, up and down, which creates a more realistic "First-Person" mode by actually zooming the camera in until its inside your character models head. You'll have to forgive me however, for I do not remember what this override is called.

Here's the download link for the camera hak.
There's no room left for 'freedom from the tyranny of government'. Your right to live where you want, with companions of your choosing, under laws to which you agree, died in the 18th century. -William Burroughs