Sword Coast Legends

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Feral One

Sword Coast Legends

Post by Feral One » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:52 pm

So...anyone getting the game? My family just bought a pack and figured I'd check and see if any of the Arelith peeps are going to be playing it too!
Jack Oat wrote: come on out of the closet and i can show you just what i can do with my single-chambered pistol bb ;)
<3
WhereButterfliesGoToDie wrote:Not gonna lie, this is probably the most constructive turn I've seen an Arelith discussion thread take in awhile.

Rispek

Re: Sword Coast Legends

Post by Rispek » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:06 pm

Considering it, I am not sure if Sword Coast Legends is a step forward or a step backwards though.

Better graphics sure, but will it stack up to NWN in ability to make custom content?

Also is it based on 5th Edition rules? Haven't been impressed on what I have seen of 5th edition.

Too many questions at this point hehe

*Update*

Watched an early access video.... Its Diablo.... They actually have barrels that you attack *facepalm*.

Was a big fan of Diablo 1 and 2, but why in the Abyss did they choose that style for a D&D game.

I think its clear that they have decided to nerf D&D, a true shame, I really wanted to like that game.

Grunf

Post by Grunf » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:24 am

I wil try it for sure, than decide to buy it or not. :-)

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:01 pm

I will try it, I mean it has to be better then NWN2.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:28 pm

Sword Coast Legends isn't a traditional RPG.

While I think it has a main campaign, the true strength of the game is multiplayer. Where DMs can create their own campaign and 'oversee' as the player play through it in real time. It's more akin to a pen and paper adventure (and creating tool) than NWN persistent worlds and campaigns.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:51 pm

Likely I won't try it until it goes on sale if ever. There are too many other games coming out that I'd like to play first. Not to mention finishing up the ones I already own.

Rispek

Post by Rispek » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:33 am

I know my previous post seems pretty negative, I feel I should explain my negativity in this case.

D&D has always been about creating a backdrop to help and inspire other peoples creativity. Just watch this video by Ed Greenwood the real life wizard behind Forgotten Realms; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuokgB09ByI

I must give the developers of Sword Coast Legends some credit for doing right by the spirit of D&D.

1) Dungeon Master mode is pretty cool, although not much of an improvement from NWN's (if any).
2) The Map of the sword coast where you can mark your locations anywhere is brilliant.
3) Allowing players to keep their characters between playing any campaign is excellent.
4) Pretty detailed campaign creation features.
5) Randomly generated dungeons.

Now the negative.

1) No modding support.
Clearly the developers do not understand who their customers are. Fans of D&D, and D&D CRPG's are (if not modders themselves) very involved in the modding community. This should have been #1 on their list of features for this game. In fact they should have an employee, if not an entire department, focused on helping modders do what they do best.

2) Graphics while decent looking, are closer to the Diablo series of style than what one would expect for a Dungeons & Dragons game. I would have been happier if they had basic looking area's where you could add in tons of placeables. As it is, everything tends to look the same after a few minutes.

3) You cannot zoom in on your character, outside of character creation. This seems like a no-brainer for a D&D style game. I know I am not alone when I say a good portion of my time in NWN is spent zoomed in on my character enjoying the detail.

4) Carts, Mounted characters, etc.
It is 2015, a D&D game should have mounted characters, NPC's sitting on carts being driven by oxen, horses, etc. I want to be able to slow travel between randomly generated surface area's on my mount with my party being attacked by randomly generated incounters. Or be protecting a caravan, etc.

5) Rope Climbing, Climbing, etc.
A modern game engine should be able to include this no problem.

6) Detailed living cities, with randomly generated building interiors (for non-major buildings), that a thief can have a lot of fun in. This may actually turn out to be a feature as they have yet to show cities to the public.

7) Support for Persistent worlds (actually this should have been number one on my list).
Again, this shows complete lack of understanding of their customer base.

Essentially, what they have succeeded in creating is Diablo 2 under the D&D 5th edition rules. I suspect it will be incredibly popular, and a game lots of people will love. However, I think they have failed in creating a great D&D game that will stand the test of time (like Neverwinter Nights has)

Waigoogin

Post by Waigoogin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:05 am

I hope to be getting this simply for the 4 player DM campaigns. with 3 other rpers and a DM who's interested in making a fun story the gameplay mechanics will take a back seat to the real experience if done well by the players themselves. it'll mostly be dungeon crawls and side questy type stuff but i'm sure there will be ways to keep your characters and those friends you keep contact with to maintain some sort of interesting relations a la neverwinter, though not to the degree of persistent worlds.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:01 am

A method for four people to run a campaign over the internet. Add a VoIP program, and you have tabletop convenience without leaving home- and VoIP also covers the RP interactions outside of dungeon crawls.

The question isn't if I will buy it, but whether or not I will bother to pre-order or wait for it to go on sale later. The pre-order package looks kind of neat.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002