♬~Everyone's a little bit racist~♫

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Tathkar Eisgrim

Re: ♬~Everyone's a little bit racist~♫

Post by Tathkar Eisgrim » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:24 pm

I have a strong preference for playing Humans / Dwarves. One day I might play a Halfling / Elf.

I don't think I could force myself to play a race where the costume options are limited. I like playing dress-up too much.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:58 am

Human. I like boring characters.

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:04 am

I've played 4 humans, one half elf, two goblins and one orog to epics.
So by the count humans are my favorite, but I rather think humans are easiest to get caught on as I only manage to stick to that one in a dozen characters.

Rispek

Post by Rispek » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:40 pm

I pretty much always play Halflings.

I play halflings as English folk from an earlier century (J.R.R Tolkien's era). Their outward appearance is very polite, and proper, with simple desires and ambitions. They love a pipe filled with good tobacco, good drink, and comfortable evenings talking with friends.

However, anyone who thinks that is all they are, would be sorely mistaken. They are also quite aware of peoples mistaken idea's about them and are wont to take advantage of that at any opportunity. Never under estimate a halfling (or Englishman) as that is likely to be your undoing, and possibly the last thing you ever do.

Swirling Stars

Post by Swirling Stars » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:09 am

Humans because they're so versatile.
I can't play elves. I just can't. I /hate/ shift-click walking. It just ruins it for me, specially when I'm trying to rp and walk at the same time. That is the worst.

Halfings are pretty fun, will probably play one here soon.
"he gotted his scimater ready to do the smite. he stood up and praysed to worm to make strong and torm say 'okay Hal Whitestriker now you are stronger :^)'" - Heavy Breathing
10/10

Rispek

Post by Rispek » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:34 am

Swirling Stars wrote:Halfings are pretty fun, will probably play one here soon.
Yesss come to the darkside.... errr.. shortside. We have much more fun!

You also are not required to play a Halfling thief. Just thought I should get that out of the way :lol:

Halflings are very misunderstood, and thats how we like it, let the tall folk be all serious and hero like while we actually get things done, and have fun doing it.

Ramen

Post by Ramen » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:56 am

Hin... almost exclusively. Though I also tend toward the Tolkienian end of the spectrum.

Unfortunately, I think I always play Hin for the worst possible reason; laziness. Sincerity, and unwavering faithfulness is so much simpler to RP than (for example) Detached aloofness(Dorfs), unbridled rage(Half-orcs), paranoid xenophobia(Drow/UDers), unrestrained ambition(Hoomans), or whatever passes for a cultural shortcoming up in Myon.

Though, I have been debating dusting off my Gobbo, because typing like jar jar binks and RPing having no shame, social graces, or the slightest clue that you are a miserable little monster, and probably the most despised thing in any room you occupy, is comic bliss.
There's no room left for 'freedom from the tyranny of government'. Your right to live where you want, with companions of your choosing, under laws to which you agree, died in the 18th century. -William Burroughs

Rispek

Post by Rispek » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:52 pm

Ramen wrote:Hin... almost exclusively. Though I also tend toward the Tolkienian end of the spectrum.

Unfortunately, I think I always play Hin for the worst possible reason; laziness. Sincerity, and unwavering faithfulness is so much simpler to RP than (for example) Detached aloofness(Dorfs), unbridled rage(Half-orcs), paranoid xenophobia(Drow/UDers), unrestrained ambition(Hoomans), or whatever passes for a cultural shortcoming up in Myon.
Possibly I am playing my Hin wrong;

My Hin is based more on the Sacksville Baggins than your Hero Bilbo, Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin style. Not unwaveringly faithful, or sincere (unless of course he see's something to gain from appearing so).

Yes, He is polite and proper for the most part (as any good englishman), barring towards city guards (which he particularly dislikes). Generally though, he is all about appearances, and exhibits many of the negative traits you ascribed to other races.

He is also, and this is the most fun to play, a complete braggart "accidentally" dropping hints or straight up telling people about his real skills and than begging them to keep silent about it. Naturally he is looking to gain a reputation in a under handed manner.

I have never been good at playing too stereotypes, and boy is it fun to play a character with loads of flaws.

Thake

Post by Thake » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:54 pm

Human

Humans get 1 extra feat at 1st level, 4 extra skill points at 1st level, plus 1 additional skill point at each following level, favored class for less MC penalties.. .. can be anything.
Mithreas wrote:PC deaths give my life meaning, people.

Arther Goodmane

Post by Arther Goodmane » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:33 pm

Thake wrote:Human

Humans get 1 extra feat at 1st level, 4 extra skill points at 1st level, plus 1 additional skill point at each following level, favored class for less MC penalties.. .. can be anything.
I suspect that's maybe because every facet of a fantasy based story or environment, is merely an extrapolation, manifestation or personalization of a Human trait. Halflings are the playful, innocent side of us. Elves are the socially graceful, Dwarves represent our greed and desire for industry, etcetra.

Humans can be anything simply because...everything else is just a reflection of what Humans already are.

Sorry if I got philosophical :P.
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:09 pm

I'm coming out of the darkness to comment on this one. Because reasons.

I absolutely, thoroughly, explicitly and wholeheartedly can't play 'standard' races. Human, elves, gnomes, d0rfs. I just can't stand playing a sociably acceptable character, or something that at the mere glance you can understand instantly what 'it' is, though don't ask me to explain it.
And in the other hand, I dislike playing a race, for monstrous it may be, by the book - the exception to this rule are dragons, which I'll gladly go full paragon. You could say that I do lean toward anything draconic, specially kobolds, though I wouldn't play the yip-yapping LE kobold.
Alternatively, just gimme something with two sides of blood, and I'll make something wonderful out of it. WHAT D'YOU SAY? Giant praying mantis half brass dragon? Done.
Lizardman shark totem? Piece of cake.
Spellscale? I don't even have to RP for that one.
Kobold tiefling? Pending in my list.

There. I said it.

*HIPSes back into the code of the forum*
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

dirza

Post by dirza » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:21 pm

Humans are boring. I play fantasy to play a human? Who is everywhere around me? Whos majority on the server? Not likely for me. But yes i do like medieval themed houses and knights, was a city based on feudal society i would consider it. Or something like Templar order where you get social layers like brothers-knights, novices, ment-at-arms...but you know those mage-knights and similar do not fit my idea (to each own his liking though), i am heavily towards mundane stuff.

I do love old gobbos and kobolds. The way how people act with them, in weird and different way but it was awsome. Spets, Bugga, Kya (and those playing around her in these times), set an ideal for me those races and i am missing it badly. I could not ever play it any long though.

I like elves and drow, but i do like to play archetypes, they are so rare, so fun to play or walk around with. I am no fan of all those non llothites and alike, simple its not interesting for me enough.

Edit: playing eilistraeen was interesting, and fun, but i cannot play two at time and from both opposite sides of factions, so i shelved them.

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:14 pm

Human master race, if I'm going non-monstrous.

Easy to build for, easy to RP to, and you can get a lot of diversity out of the race without breaking it or throwing subrace/odd templates on. To be a Chultan, a northerner, or a Mulhorand is just that bit more fun than "Evermeet or raised in a hole in the woods?"

Heck, they're even highly virile genetically. Never worry about someone nagging you for 'branching out' with relationships or having an odd ancestor in the family (Lyons characters've been devilblood for a while!). It's no big, lore-shattering trouble.

As for monstrous, it's Kobolds.

It is. It just is, and I'll fight you over this unless you've a spare 5%.

Then it's Dragons. That is, if you do it right.

Iceborn wrote:shark totem
Kash, get out. you retired.
Last edited by DestroyerOTN on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:58 am

I wholeheartedly embrace my belief in human racial superiority.

I have a soft spot for half orcs though.

roy rutan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by roy rutan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:55 pm

for me it depends on the character I am trying to play.

if I want a character that has a rich story line built for a long haul I say elf or dwarf.
if I want more of a default barbarian / fighter I say human or half orc
if I want a sneak I would say hin

Thake

Post by Thake » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:03 pm

Arther Goodmane wrote:

[Wall of Text]

Screw you Arther. You took away the fancyness of humans... now I can't enjoy them anymore. *Single tear*
Mithreas wrote:PC deaths give my life meaning, people.

Shalvenay

Post by Shalvenay » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:01 pm

I don't do the (surface) human thing either -- I find them boring and bland; nor do I play dwarves as the stink of alcohol on the breath of FR dwarves puts me off badly, or gnomes because I'd push the tinker concept too far as someone who's a STEM type IRL. However, I do like hins -- being the little guy nobody notices can be quite fun, even if you're going in very different directions from the archetypal hin rogue.

That said, I tend to favor (half-)elves for some of their mysterious aspects, the long lifespan, and the facility with the fabric of the world around them. Draconic races also have a soft spot in my heart (and I have a draconic character in mind actually), although you won't see me playing a Kobold or a Chromatic on this server as going monstrous is something I'm not likely to do here -- my worldview doesn't play kindly with the stock FR notion of monstrous races. (If I ever went for a full-bore evil UD char, it'd either be a UD human or a Drow, likely the former as everyone expects the Drow.)

Last but not least, half-orcs have a soft spot in my heart as well for being misunderstood so much, especially when you throw in a nonconventional build for the race. (Rogue? Why not. Cleric? Go for it! Sorceror? Give it to me!)

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:30 am

Dwarves.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Ramen

Post by Ramen » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:31 am

Rispek wrote:I have never been good at playing too stereotypes, and boy is it fun to play a character with loads of flaws.
You've done me a great service Rispek. I was due for a reminder that without flaws your character will have a hard time being much more than a cardboard cutout.

Also, I'm glad you stand with me on the ALL Hin are English argument.
There's no room left for 'freedom from the tyranny of government'. Your right to live where you want, with companions of your choosing, under laws to which you agree, died in the 18th century. -William Burroughs

Swirling Stars

Post by Swirling Stars » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:52 am

Rispek wrote:
Swirling Stars wrote:Halfings are pretty fun, will probably play one here soon.
Yesss come to the darkside.... errr.. shortside. We have much more fun!

You also are not required to play a Halfling thief. Just thought I should get that out of the way :lol:

Halflings are very misunderstood, and thats how we like it, let the tall folk be all serious and hero like while we actually get things done, and have fun doing it.
Hehehe I shalt not comment on the build, but thieving sounds fun~

*shifty eyes*
"he gotted his scimater ready to do the smite. he stood up and praysed to worm to make strong and torm say 'okay Hal Whitestriker now you are stronger :^)'" - Heavy Breathing
10/10

Swirling Stars

Post by Swirling Stars » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:59 am

Iceborn wrote: shark totem?
I have the urge to use a 5% to ask for this now.
10/10

Rispek

Post by Rispek » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:19 am

Ramen wrote:
Rispek wrote:I have never been good at playing too stereotypes, and boy is it fun to play a character with loads of flaws.
You've done me a great service Rispek. I was due for a reminder that without flaws your character will have a hard time being much more than a cardboard cutout.

Also, I'm glad you stand with me on the ALL Hin are English argument.
It's a natural fit! Also what better way to find flaws for your character than to do a bit of research into the English. :lol: I couldn't resist... I just really couldn't resist, I am weak oh so weak.
Swirling Stars wrote: Hehehe I shalt not comment on the build, but thieving sounds fun~

*shifty eyes*
I only said you don't have to be a thief... Never said anything about avoiding thieving.

Arther Goodmane

Post by Arther Goodmane » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:24 am

Thake wrote:
Arther Goodmane wrote:

[Wall of Text]

Screw you Arther. You took away the fancyness of humans... now I can't enjoy them anymore. *Single tear*
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut