Pen and paper

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Serendipitous

Pen and paper

Post by Serendipitous » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:42 am

So, for those who may have noticed I'm not as available as i was a week ago, here's my excuse

Ive begun hosting and DMing a small p&p group still in the early stages and im looking for dm resource material for 3.5 set in the forgotten realms. Timeline is not set in stone as im just starting putting dungeon #1 together

I would not like to buy more books, i have the basics, dm guide players, handbooks, and monster manual, so if someone could link me to a site(s) where i can find various lore friendly regions of Toril and background information i would greatly appreciate it

Later i may ask individual players for use of some of the very interesting characters i have had the pleasure of meeting in arelith (through pms, and i will do my best to represent these characters as best i can) to add inspiration and flavor in the antagonists, protagonists, and supporting characters

And finally, I am doing this with the intention of writing a story which may actually include arelith and some of these characters assuming i can get permission from the players that own the characters, and the dev/dm team for use of the island. A rough draft will be posted for review from the entire playerbase if i go this route. The reason for this is not for monetary gain (though it would be nice and a good chunk would be donated to the cause if allowed) but rather to make an honest attempt to add arelith to canonical FR lore as most canon lore is derived from published works.

I am open to ideas, help, criticism, and random comments and memes
Praise the sun!

Urch

Re: Pen and paper

Post by Urch » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:09 am

Sounds like a cool plan. Candlekeep is always a good source for material on toril. Click Tethtoril's bookshelf for links.
For only $1 a day you can sponsor someone with chronic altitis.

Another day, another Doug.

Serendipitous

Post by Serendipitous » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:15 am

This appears to be exactly what im looking for! Thanks a million Urch
Praise the sun!

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:10 pm

You probably already have this, but an online .pdf of the Forgotten Realm's Player's Guide from 2008 is available online:

http://www.goddessfantasy.net/Upload/dn ... 0Guide.pdf

Even though this is a 4th edition sourcebook, it still might offer some tidbits for extra flavor or lore.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:20 am

If you're playing with new players, "The Caves of Chaos" is a great first adventure, is very easy to DM for, and gives both the players and the DM quite a bit of room to do what you want to do. It was the first campaign I played and I'm currently DMing for a group (their first time as well) with that campaign.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Serendipitous

Post by Serendipitous » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:27 am

will definitely look into it, though I prefer when possible to come up with original dungeons, thus the reason for taking so long to get started. prefabbed adventures might help speed things along though,
Praise the sun!

Ramen

Post by Ramen » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:50 am

I'm not sure if legal grey areas are your thing, but I have it on uhhh.... good authority, that if one were so inclined, one might download pdf's of pretty much every sourcebook, copy of Dragon magazine, or half baked musing ever penned concerning Forgotten Realms by downloading and installing this .

SOURCE: I wasn't here, we never met. *quietly slips back into the dark alley from which he appeared*
There's no room left for 'freedom from the tyranny of government'. Your right to live where you want, with companions of your choosing, under laws to which you agree, died in the 18th century. -William Burroughs

The Kriv

Post by The Kriv » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:07 am

The published mod "The Red Hand of Doom" is very good. It can pretty easily be adapted to Forgotten Realms. In fact here's a link to a good DM Handbook for the RHoD, and it has an adaptation written specifically for Forgotten Realms adaptation.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... -WIP-PEACH!

The Red Hand of Doom is one of the better published book adventures out there and really enjoyable adventure.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Serendipitous

Post by Serendipitous » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:59 pm

will have to keep that one bookmarked for one of the later dungeons, currently only running a party of two both at level one

RHOD recommends at least 4 players at level 5, which soon enough I plan to have available as I have more players joining up later on

as far as legal grey areas, I'm intending to write a book based on this, will try to avoid them as much as possible just to avoid future headaches
Praise the sun!

Silverrock

Post by Silverrock » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:13 pm

If Caves of Chaos is the same as The Keep on The Borderlands, I heartily second it. You can find a pretty good NWN adaptation of it on the Vault here: http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn ... orderlands
"If you're (finding excuses to kill people) I will find you and destroy you..." -DM Watchtower