For the company people out there

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Yellena

For the company people out there

Post by Yellena » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi there.
Currently one of my jobs is at an average size drugstore (many sattelite stores in the main and surrounding cities). It's not very well structured, and the bosses makes decisions based solely on raw ego and oppinion rather than research and logic/strategy.
As a person who is a pain in the.... aways questioning (without the fear of being fired :P) why XXX is made like that and why not do YYY instead, I somehow menaged to be invited to be one of the head organizers on the implementation of IT and informatization in the company.
The thing is... I never had any lessons on this area. I am a simple pharmacist and all I have is master degree in a COMPLETELY different area (at least that did teach me how to research and be a self learner), I feel bad about accepting something I do not feel I am competent with.

I would like to collect oppinions on any of you guys who may work on administration or human resources of small/medium/big companies.
Why would they invite someone without competence in the area rather hire a new person inside the area?
I would be down to make a tech school in IT to aid with it, but thats... well... two years long.
However, it seems exciting. As some people know, I love planning, detecting flaws and optimizating things (aka, builds hahahha).

I will have a meeting to talk about this in two days, so I have that time to make up my mind. Any comments, life histories and oppinions would be very welcome, as I have few people to discuss about this in my city.

I do appreciate in advance the time any of you may take to post here!
:D

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: For the company people out there

Post by Cihparg » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:03 pm

My only experience with companies is that I was recommended to a pentesting position, which I turned down because I have no experience in the field.

I could've taken it and studied it as I worked, depending on what the task at hand would've been.
SQL is fairly easy to pentest, but that's more or less all I know to break- hence my denial.

Surely enough someone's ought to have better information for you.

Beep boop.

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:02 pm

Do not discredit yourself. Others may see potential, intelligence, compatibility, cooperation and a good investment in you. It makes no sense to give such opportunities to an employee who looks like a dead end. That said, I would say, from what you've told me, that your employers see you as worth while to invest time and resources in.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

TotesTotem
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by TotesTotem » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:31 pm

Hey, hey, they chose you! Obviously there is a good reason behind it. Keep in mind that most job skills are taught on the job and that in terms of background knowledge, they already think that you're in a suitable spot to take on the job. I suspect that you will be helping create the information system in a consultative manner based on the fact that you'd be the type of person who uses it in pharmacies.

Here's a few reasons I would hire you in an internal manner as they have:
- You're displaying initiative in questioning what is best for the company, even at potential cost to yourself.
- You're familiar with how the company works from the level of an individual pharmacy, so your input is going to be very helpful in the construction of something which should be working to help the people in your current position.
- It costs them less to hire internally.
- It boosts morale to hire internally, not only your own, but the people around you who might see it and think 'I can do that!'. Those people might also try harder.
- They already know what sort of person you are and have seen a track record of your performance, so hiring you rather than someone external reduces uncertainty in character.

You should go for it! Good luck!

P.S. I'm a pharmaceutical salesman and have a product that will completely change the way you look at diabetes treatment, PM me if you're interested in finding out a little more.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:04 pm

Remember, they chose you for a reason. I'm sure they know your lack of experience in that area, Prehapse they want you to ensure the accuracy of something pharasidical or something.
I suppose the important thing to do during this upcoming meeting is be honest about your lack of knowledge in the area. You don't want to get hired into an IT position then get fired two months later because you can't do your job.

Most importantly, make sure to do what YOU want to do. Do you WANT a job in IT? If offered, would you be willing to get educated in that area? Never lose sight of what you want for yourself.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Waigoogin

Post by Waigoogin » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:17 am

consider that your openness to criticize/change/correct the way things are make them perceive you as someone with leadership potential. it may be as simple as that, regardless if you believe it, or actually have it. I can't say for sure, because I've not met you, but simply give it a go and take what opportunities you want from then, see how it goes. They may well be right. Or they may be as clueless as you initially indicate ^^ People in management are often of a very different breed from the rest of the company. I'm sure you've noted the headaches techies have in dealing with the demands of higher ups? It's for reasons like this, yet it still always occurs because those viewed as 'leaders' are not necessarily qualified in every way, but possess something intangible (whatever that means haha)

i've little faith in corporate politics and structure, ans you may guess. just as I said, go with the flow and see what happens, given i know nothing of your actual place of work, I wish you the best in it. go in with a confident, can do, attitude, and do it.

just for lolz, and those of you who've seen Office spece, I know a guy who actively wanted to get fired from a job who was promoted twice because he had a critical attitude towards the company at all times. no joke. this stuff really does happen, haha.

Yellena

Post by Yellena » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:18 am

Waigoogin wrote: just for lolz, and those of you who've seen Office spece, I know a guy who actively wanted to get fired from a job who was promoted twice because he had a critical attitude towards the company at all times. no joke. this stuff really does happen, haha.
Three months ago I asked to be demoted from pharmacist to auxiliar because of low quality of life regarding the procedures they wanted me to do (and not giving the tools/resources to achieve them). :lol:

Waigoogin

Post by Waigoogin » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:46 am

see? with that in mind, keep digging your own grave whilst reaching for the stars! they're bound to hand them to you if you dig deep enough :)

keep up the attitude you're giving them, it's working. refuse to be intimidated.

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:21 am

I have a spouse who is a VP in one of the top American shipping companies, and this is what she pretty much said as well:
TotesTotem wrote: - You're displaying initiative in questioning what is best for the company, even at potential cost to yourself.
- You're familiar with how the company works from the level of an individual pharmacy, so your input is going to be very helpful in the construction of something which should be working to help the people in your current position.
- It costs them less to hire internally.
- It boosts morale to hire internally, not only your own, but the people around you who might see it and think 'I can do that!'. Those people might also try harder.
- They already know what sort of person you are and have seen a track record of your performance, so hiring you rather than someone external reduces uncertainty in character.
She would also add that most of what you learn is on the job, and that all that money you wasted in college is just to prove that you can learn. You don't normally use a lot of it.

Of course the only reason I am sharing this is so you get the SHADOW DANCER SUMMONS UPDATE DONE! :D :D :D

So, maybe I should give bad advice so you have more time to work on that....hmm.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Not a Harper

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:29 am

Hell, meet with them and see what they say before you get yourself all worried!

Whatever they saw, they liked! Run with it!
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Yellena

Post by Yellena » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:00 pm

Thank you for the imput guys. I really appreciate it. I am possibly more concerned than I should.