Haks

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Stath

Haks

Post by Stath » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:26 pm

I vaguely remember someone on the Dev team posting about the alternate combat animations pack. I was just wondering with Mithreas' stepping down if Arelith's policy on them had changed- IE, will Arelith always remain completely Hak free or is there the possibility one day they'll be considered?

Would players even like to see them? Pros: customization out the flippidy zoob woobity, cons: zooped and flooped downloading haks.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Forging The World

Re: Haks

Post by Forging The World » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:29 pm

Irongron posted that Arelith would remain Hak-free, last time I saw. It doesn't make much sense to be proud of the fact that we're a hak-free server and then introduce them...

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:42 pm

Arelith will always remain hak-free. Forever and ever and ever.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:20 pm

That ain't a very progressive mindset, friendo.

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:08 pm

Alas that my poor characters shall never know the joys and pleasures of the Victorian jacket that haks allow. :( Those always make for a truly respectable sort of character.

There are a few other things I would love to see haks included for on the server too, but small aesthetic changes are the majority.

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:14 pm

susitsu wrote:That ain't a very progressive mindset, friendo.
On the contrary the devs have done some amazing things without haks
Plays as the monster in your closet

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:21 pm

Having more fiendish monster options where the skins match the title would be nice.
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:37 pm

Personally, I do believe that refraining from using HAKs truly limits the potential of the game, for a price that is nill.
However, I was given reasons that I can't argue for the continual HAKless policy.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:44 pm

I believe specifically an optional override was mentioned.
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

Convention of Blades

Post by Convention of Blades » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:49 pm

In all honesty, I avoid servers that are loaded with hakpaks, it's simply impractical. Long live hak-free Arelith.
Bashagain wrote: "Daltanius is not a virgin!" Screeched the lying pillar of skulls - now with one less skull. The celibate knight sighed, silently lamenting the truth that he was still a twenty-eight-year-old virgin under a vow of chastity.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:49 am

Convention of Blades wrote:In all honesty, I avoid servers that are loaded with hakpaks, it's simply impractical. Long live hak-free Arelith.
what servers? there are no servers. Arelith isn't getting any younger. You're saying none of yall would DL a small file to play here?

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:02 am

Ork wrote:
Convention of Blades wrote:In all honesty, I avoid servers that are loaded with hakpaks, it's simply impractical. Long live hak-free Arelith.
what servers? there are no servers. Arelith isn't getting any younger. You're saying none of yall would DL a small file to play here?
Adding haks would make it younger?

In any case yes if they were added i would probably take the effort to figure out how to make them work, it is a headache for those of us who are irrevocably computer illiterate,

Also adding haks is a good way to further discourage new players from trying it out, so yes i am biased, and yes I am against the idea

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:03 am

I think people can figure out how to DL a hak and place it in a folder called "hak".

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:05 am

And yet, I've yet to manage to make one work enough to actually let me play on a server with them. Go figure

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:19 am

I. Don't... want... to call anybody dumb, but yes.
That's sadly the reason.

I was baffled as you are, Ork, but it's true.
There seems to be a large number of players in Arelith who have trouble with these things.

EDIT: What I mean to say is; to me, and a lot of other people, computer magic is second nature.
But to that, there's the polar opposite.
Last edited by Iceborn on Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:29 am

Iceborn wrote:I. Don't... want... to call anybody dumb, but yes.
That's sadly the reason.

I was baffled as you are, Ork, but it's true.
There seems to be a large number of players in Arelith who have trouble with these things.
It's just annoying. Part of the draw for a lot of people, is the 'no install' thing. You can just connect and play, without downloading haks or anything extra. While, yeah, most of us would say 'ok' and download them, think about when you started. Would you've taken the time to download them at first? .. of course, your mileage may vary with that answer, but I'd be willing to bet a lot of people came here above other places simply because it's easier (if only a little) to get into.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:11 am

I believe another consideration is that, with haks, that means that the server might be releasing new haks every now and again, similar to updates. And then we'd have to keep on reinstalling them or we can't login. God forbid there's a glitch in one of the haks, and then the devs have the headache of a mass-recall of what hak everyone is using.

Then there's the risk that either one of the dev's isn't trustworthy (not to say they aren't, but if I were a new player I'd be wary of downloading something from a complete stranger) or, even worse, the forums get hacked (again) and the perpetrator leads the community to download a bad link.

There's also an allure that 95% of the nwn wikia is true to arelith. We don't need to completely rewrite how nwn works, and it makes it really easy to build characters.

TL;DR: While I agree that there are a lot of fun goodies that haks could provide, I respect the dev's decisions to keep them far away from arelith.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:09 am

I mean, all I had to do for another server was...download a client and run it. There was a command I had to enter in-game, deal with one crash (all apart of the process, happens to everyone,) and boom. Was interesting. But Arelith's setting is a lot more interesting to me.
caldura firebourne wrote:
susitsu wrote:That ain't a very progressive mindset, friendo.
On the contrary the devs have done some amazing things without haks
That, however, is not the point. To be willing to try risky things and new things, such as haks, is what I consider more progressive. The devs hav worked their asses off to make Arelith the amazing sever that holds my attention every day over any other server out there.

Arelith is an amazing server that, while having its own flaws, I think does not require haks at all.

I just think the devs could do even more incredible things with them. They're good at what they do and damn devoted.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:26 am

DestroyerOTN wrote:I believe specifically an optional override was mentioned.
Overrides only change and replace monster skins not add new additional ones that don't pre-exist.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:29 am

Dalenger wrote:I believe another consideration is that, with haks, that means that the server might be releasing new haks every now and again, similar to updates. And then we'd have to keep on reinstalling them or we can't login. God forbid there's a glitch in one of the haks, and then the devs have the headache of a mass-recall of what hak everyone is using.

Then there's the risk that either one of the dev's isn't trustworthy (not to say they aren't, but if I were a new player I'd be wary of downloading something from a complete stranger) or, even worse, the forums get hacked (again) and the perpetrator leads the community to download a bad link.

There's also an allure that 95% of the nwn wikia is true to arelith. We don't need to completely rewrite how nwn works, and it makes it really easy to build characters.

TL;DR: While I agree that there are a lot of fun goodies that haks could provide, I respect the dev's decisions to keep them far away from arelith.
Not true I played on a server where the up date the nwncx plugin instead of the haks, the haks are only used to add other new features such as new monster choices. The plugin even does most of the work for new armour and head choices if I recall correctly.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:37 am

What's even so good in haks that needs to be added to Arelith?

Most haks I've seen add additional content via asthetics; what's more important is gameplay. And I fail to see how we need something beyond the ingenious of the developers.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Trunx

Post by Trunx » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:54 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:What's even so good in haks that needs to be added to Arelith?

Most haks I've seen add additional content via asthetics; what's more important is gameplay. And I fail to see how we need something beyond the ingenious of the developers.
More variety in PC appearances is the biggest thing for most.

Whether gameplay is more important than aesthetics isn't relevant, and it looks like you're offering a false dichotomy.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:07 am

I mean...on a roleplay server...isn't variety of looks what is really important for more immersive and relative definition of a character mechanically, especially helping those who don't have as easy of a time making colorful descriptions for their characters?

Naiphe

Post by Naiphe » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:26 am

I wish bioware would make a neverwinter nights 3. Just...just saying :cry:

I love nwn, but imagine Arelith on an updated game engine. Battlefield 4 graphics anyone? :D

Convention of Blades

Post by Convention of Blades » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:55 am

Ork wrote:I think people can figure out how to DL a hak and place it in a folder called "hak".
I do, but I choose not to. The servers I'm talking about are Amia, Ravenloft and that server that shall not be named. I'm a big vanilla fan, haks just make the game drift away from what it really is.
Bashagain wrote: "Daltanius is not a virgin!" Screeched the lying pillar of skulls - now with one less skull. The celibate knight sighed, silently lamenting the truth that he was still a twenty-eight-year-old virgin under a vow of chastity.