Nostalgia - in the Before Time, the Long Long ago...

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Thera

Nostalgia - in the Before Time, the Long Long ago...

Post by Thera » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:25 pm

Thought I'd start a thread for us Arelith zombies out there to reminisce about the things that have stuck with you from years back. People, places, things - just those little things that made big impressions that you still haven't shaken.

To get the ball rolling:
Mathilda or Matilda? The druid with the old woman skin? I was never sure if it was a DM or an actual player. Must have been 2007 or 2008.

Timmy - is the rat in the ranger's hut named after him? The super sneaky forest hin in Arelith Forest.

The April Fools Zombie invasion. T'was a very fun day.
"Arelith isn't about fun - It's about math, and WINNING"

Ben Garrison

Re: Nostalgia - in the Before Time, the Long Long ago...

Post by Ben Garrison » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:53 pm

Naetheread Kilzynge (sp?): Great character, great player. One of the old guard (literally) of Udos Dro'Xun circa 2004-2005. Back when male drow really had a hard time gaining power, he ran a group of male temple guards who answered only to the temple itself. The player was last seen taking time off to play in his band in New York, I think.

The Great Portal Debacle of 2007: When portals were changed to no longer allow two-way transportation to and from each and every one, and also to no longer allow corpses to be carried through them. Many tears were cried, to the point that Jj pulled the server offline for like 2 weeks to let everyone calm down. Keks abound.

William and "the Taint": William was a spooky necromancer with a flair for comic book villainy and all-around fun. He used to own a house in upper Guldorand (no longer habitable player homes) and later the Fox's Den. The character was sadly BTFO by the Abyssal Forces (then run by Storm Cross) and the player was last seen taking time off to play hockey and squat while wearing a golf hat somewhere in Russia.

Azur: Anyone who had the pleasure of RPing with him tends to list him in the top 3 favorite villains of all Arelith-time. He took the "comic book villainy" of William and cranked it up hard. I ran into him with a level 7 (or so) character, and despite his epic levels he "lost" the encounter by allowing my character to escape. I have no idea if the player is still around or not.

Ayin Mesmer, Duran Sane and Enserric in Wharftown: Before they were forcefully removed by Herial Ghalen and his posse, these three had many thrills in Wharftown, putting the fishing town on the map economically and generating lots of RP with the trickle-down effect. At least one of these players is still around, but on a secret squirrel alt I don't know.

Sarog Pethanos, Uhrma Gutheral and the Covenant: They were basically the opposite of William and Azur (victory and success being taken a lot more seriously), but still created a ton of RP and did actually manage to control almost every faction, Rothschild style. At their best, every moment was like a mystery/ horror novel. I don't think these two play here anymore.
Artos13 wrote:Just let me know when the hardcover, 200 page Arelith Player's Handbook comes out so I've got something to read on the toilet.
Hunter548 wrote:What flavor of evil depends on exactly What sort of baby-munching they do. Do they munch babies for the greater good?

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:06 pm

Ben Garrison wrote:Ayin Mesmer, Duran Sane and Enserric in Wharftown: Before they were forcefully removed by Herial Ghalen and his posse, these three had many thrills in Wharftown, putting the fishing town on the map economically and generating lots of RP with the trickle-down effect. At least one of these players is still around, but on a secret squirrel alt I don't know.
TWO OF US ARE FAM

RIP Enserric, though.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:21 am

The tiamatian crew that ruled stone hold before the banites took over, and the silent hand.
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:32 am

krad

:^)
:)

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:06 pm

A few that spring to mind:

The April Fool's gender bender on every single pc that was on that day. I had fun rp my char's personality change eery time he change sex.

The Hinvasion

Mystica

The Event that lead to the permanent creation of the Astrolabe

Thera

Post by Thera » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:25 pm

Black Wendigo wrote: The April Fool's gender bender on every single pc that was on that day. I had fun rp my char's personality change eery time he change sex.
Was that the one where they linked it to the emote *nods*? Or was that another one?

It was brilliant meta-joke on all the players.
"Arelith isn't about fun - It's about math, and WINNING"

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:46 pm

Anyone remember the Amia Divorce?
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:43 am

I don't think it was linked to anything. It appeared that players would have thier chars start changing sex shortly after logging in.

Pinkmyst

Post by Pinkmyst » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:12 pm

Sariah Popkins hug the Benchomancer signs/ The time Grendal took Amy in Sariah's place and River turned all dragony.

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:26 pm

High Primate wrote:Anyone remember the Amia Divorce?
Yep.

In fact, I'll take it even further back. I remember when Arelith was an Action server, and Jjjerm and I talked about building an Underdark and going RP Server to attract drow players because they were such great RPers. The first UD ever made was just a circle of about 8-9 very boring areas made just after the release of HoTU. We were one of the first servers to update to HoTU, and that was the launching point of a stable foundation of players.

We did the same thing with the 1.69 patch. While other servers spent a few weeks incorporating the new content into their modules before releasing it publicly, we updated the same day it came out. People were happy enough to have cloaks and bowstrings. If you remember, if you updated your client, you would be unable to play on PWs that didn't yet update, and they'd be "greyed out" on the server list.

I still think these two things, way back in the day, were key to having the solid player base we enjoy to this day.

Ben Garrison

Post by Ben Garrison » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:41 pm

Cortex wrote:krad

:^)
Hell yeah, Krad was a trip. It's very characteristic of Arelith that at one point, even the best thief was a Cleric.
KumagoroNugget wrote:wibble
I had a feeling Bato was lurking around somewhere. Show yourself, you fiend
Artos13 wrote:Just let me know when the hardcover, 200 page Arelith Player's Handbook comes out so I've got something to read on the toilet.
Hunter548 wrote:What flavor of evil depends on exactly What sort of baby-munching they do. Do they munch babies for the greater good?

Whitewood

Post by Whitewood » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:45 pm

Skeflock - The Svirf Tyrant King of Grond. Quite an awesome fellow, glad to have played and served under him.

Godo Moss - The most loyal, and vicious gobbo the drow had in their employ.

The Original Fuma'Vhids - encouraged me to make my very first drow, may they R.I.P

House Al'trussia - good fun with them, quite the house.

House Baen'und (correct me if im wrong)

House Zar'Rocc (Not Nives' Reign) Also a pretty fun house.

There are others i cannot quite recollect.

Kooshy

Post by Kooshy » Sun May 01, 2016 10:57 pm

Chancellor. Ulrich. Maines. ..The most grandfatherly supervillain ever. o.o

Hypnagogic Phosphene

Post by Hypnagogic Phosphene » Wed May 04, 2016 11:31 pm

.. KOOSHY

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:37 am

Yeah! Didn't Kooshy play Chaina Heartfire? If so, we had some adventures. :)

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Thu May 05, 2016 6:15 pm

Yeah, you remember correctly.

Kooshy

Post by Kooshy » Fri May 06, 2016 2:23 am

..Huh. If my presence hijacks the thread, do I count?

Also- we totally did. ^^ ..And perhaps shall again. I don't know how much I'm going to be around in the ~near future, but I want to get involved again.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Fri May 06, 2016 5:50 am

I started playing on this server because I had always played Drow before coming here, but the server I had played on was generally good aligned so I was a loner. Udos Dro'xun and the original Drow players are a bug reason why I'm still here to this day. Heck, I still have the first character I ever made on the server in my vault.

Also, RIP Udos. Also learning the basics of the Drow language to speak with the other players before the introduction of Xanalress, and then seeing those same words seamlessly integrated into the language.

LLOTH KYORL DOS!

Hypnagogic Phosphene

Post by Hypnagogic Phosphene » Fri May 06, 2016 8:27 am

Kooshy wrote:..Huh. If my presence hijacks the thread, do I count?

Also- we totally did. ^^ ..And perhaps shall again. I don't know how much I'm going to be around in the ~near future, but I want to get involved again.
We would love to have you back with us again!

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Fri May 06, 2016 8:47 am

Hypnagogic Phosphene wrote:
Kooshy wrote:..Huh. If my presence hijacks the thread, do I count?

We would love to have you back with us again!
THIS

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

iria_huntress
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning.

Post by iria_huntress » Fri May 06, 2016 7:38 pm

Events I wish I could have made it to...The gender bender event! OH! I also miss the old nobility wars in Cordor...Good times.

DeamonHeart

Post by DeamonHeart » Sat May 07, 2016 4:51 am

1)Zombie day

2)..... (*poof you're a Chicken*)

3)The Move of the arcane tower (from within Bramble woods to where it sits NOW) -(Back in my newb days of playing Mages... I Usually play Half orcs.. Smash Smash Destroy... Drink drink drink.[Before booze gave a boost to str].....)

4)Krad, and his Crew of Rogues

5)Sasha Silverscales running Bendir -PRIOR to becoming a NPC

Ahhhh Good times... THere is MUCH MUCH more but I'm Not digging up those old Journals to pull through them

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sat May 07, 2016 9:11 am

Artos13 wrote: In fact, I'll take it even further back. I remember when Arelith was an Action server, and Jjjerm and I talked about building an Underdark and going RP Server to attract drow players because they were such great RPers. The first UD ever made was just a circle of about 8-9 very boring areas made just after the release of HoTU.
I was pulled in by one of the original drow crews back when I'd just finished high school. I remember the old drow houses: Baenre had one, Elg'Carin owned the other one. Exiting the house you'd get jumped by renegade drow and I was blasted to bits by a horrid wilting as a lvl 7 or 8 or some such. Back then I had no idea how spells or saves worked, heh.

The days of portal rods *nod nod*.

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Sat May 07, 2016 11:12 pm

Sasha Silverscales and the Earthkin Alliance.

The old Brog when the Braidstones and Scar ran the show.

Godo Moss - best goblin ever.

The Stratas and old Benwick.

Godfrey the awesome pally.

Thax - my favorite half orc of all time and best Tormite!

Good times were had by many!
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat