Malcolm's Final Excursion

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Dubhwulfe
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Malcolm's Final Excursion

Post by Dubhwulfe » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:04 pm

Hey everyone. I’ve been putting this off for a bit, because I wanted to let it really sink in, but I rolled Malcolm Greywind a few days ago. I'll let you all in on a bit of a secret... a message Malcolm left to his beloved friends in the Order of the Open Hand:

Malcolm was always meant to be a character with a “time limit”. His entire story was meant to that of a man who was searching for the perfect death, to reunite him with his lost family. His wife and unborn child were taken from him before his arrival in Arelith, and his only goal was to secure an afterlife alongside them in Selune’s domain. I didn’t know what to expect with him, and couldn’t think of a good concept, so I ran with a very “empty” build idea I had that was the 3.5 equivalent of a Paladin/Celestial Warlock. He was really just my “Play to learn the game” character...

But along the way somewhere, he found purpose with the Order of the Open Hand and the Radiant Heart. A way to prove to himself that there was more to him than just a blade and extension of his (new) goddess’s will. He made friends and enemies. He made mistakes and pulled off the occasional miracle. He became a part of the world like I had never expected.

Though I enjoyed playing him, reaching the highest level, and locking in his paladinhood was really what my endgoal always was. With Selune and the support of his friends in his heart, he returned to the Wood of Sharp Teeth to face his family’s killers… and either find vindication or peace at last.

I’d like to shout out just SOME of the folks who have helped bring Malcolm’s story to life for me… and this is by no means a full and complete list, I’m sure I forgot a few of you and I’m truly sorry. You all rock. This is not in any particular order, I actually randomized it after I wrote everyone’s names.

===

Isabella Isherwood - The priestess of Selune who was always welcoming to a guy who had no idea what his place was in the Moonmaiden’s plan. Isabella was responsible for anointing Malcolm and giving him the Moonshard that he took into the Wood with him on his final outing. The opening of the Selunite temple was a moment of RP that allowed everyone gathered to see into Malcolm’s heart for a brief moment and understand what made him tick.

Tristan Elur’on - One of Malcolm’s best friends, and the closest thing he had to a brother. Tristan brought Malcolm into the Open Hand, and gave him a “Paladin Role Model” that he could strive for. Tristan became Malcolm’s moral compass of sorts, helping him understand what it means to be a holy warrior, a proper knight, and protector of those in need.

Saoirse Weneson - Saoirse is one of the kindest, most joy-filled people in Arelith. Always smiling, always calm and happy. She was such an interesting contrast to my “sad guy” Paladin. She tried (albeit unsuccessfully through no fault of her own) to cheer Malcolm up all the time, try to make him realize that his single-minded fury towards cleaning up the evil of Arelith needed to be tempered by good times and memories… and he always appreciated that she tried.

Hector Hightower - Malcolm’s “brother from another mother.” Malcolm and Hector came to Arelith around the same time, they both joined the Radiant Heart around the same time. They ended up on different sides of the fence, but remained friends. If Tristan was Malcolm’s “Paladin Role Model”, Hector was Malcolm’s “Paladin Drinking Buddy”.

Rance al’Kiel - The humble nobleman, and the Open Hand’s mobile artillery unit. Rance helped Malcolm learn how to utilize his magic in a better way, as they both had magical power coursing through their veins. He helped Malcolm learn strategy, he was always quick to come to Malcolm’s aid when needed, and was one of the few folks that he truly trusted.

Bjorn - I can’t say enough good things about Bjorn. He and Saoirse were Malcolm’s window to the “happiness” that people in Arelith could find when they didn’t have something missing in their hearts… (or if they did, they hid it very well!) Bjorn was kind, thoughtful, and “Friend Malcolm” always looked forward to their interactions together.

Sabre Lalannathwyn - Malcolm’s “protector” of sorts. She may like to think of herself as a “den mother” but she was like a big-little sister to Malcolm, and he always enjoyed joking around with her and chatting about what was “right” or “wrong” for a Paladin to do. Another source of information (along with Hector) for what a Paladin COULD be, Sabre also kept him safe and sound while he was swingin’ that big sword of his around, so points for that as well.

Itzal - One of the first people that Malcolm met on the Island on his arrival, Itzal also knew about Malcolm’s past before anyone else. Always fun to talk to, only got to see him in battle once or twice, but Itzal was the elf you can depend on when the game is on the line. Hard to get hold of, but there whenever you truly need him, Itzal and his shadow always had Malcolm’s back.

Aoth and Viclamin - The Oathguardians and Malcolm’s fellow blades of the Open Hand. Aoth and Vic were always a blast to RP with, and were both incredibly reliable. Malcolm knew if he needed an extra sword or shield at his back, his brothers in arms were right there and ready to help.

Lief and Bael - Lief and Bael were always a joy to travel with. Lief was the guy who was always willing to do what it takes to protect his friends, and his relationship with Bael led to so much discussion and drama among the ranks of the Open Hand, but when the chips were down these two were some of the first people who Malcolm would rely on. (Bael was even the first to offer her help protecting the Church of Selune during Malcolm’s anointing!) They may have had their differences, but Malcolm always respected Lief’s decision to stand by his love regardless of the consequence.

Atamar, Ivy, and Marley - Malcolm’s fellow Oathwatchers. These three were always to travel with. Atamar, concerned with justice and destruction of all evil, always willing to make the difficult decisions that were needed. Ivy, the incredibly stealthy archer and one half of the “al’Kiel Death Blossom” attack strategy... trips to the Orclands will never be forgotten. Marley, the naive and good-hearted girl with a terrifying amount of strength and skill with a falchion and ability to find herself in the craziest situations. One of the things I’ll miss the most are the training sessions with the three of them.

As I mentioned, I’m sure I missed a lot of you, and I’m truly sorry… but thank you to everyone who played with me and helped make Malcolm’s story one worth remembering.

Mia Thomas

Re: Malcolm's Final Excursion

Post by Mia Thomas » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:18 am

Awww thank you Malcom that's so sweet sad to see you go,but you'll go on to make awesome characters!
Cinnamon Roll

woodbreeze
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by woodbreeze » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:24 am

Awwwwwww, it makes me sad to hear that Malcolm's gone. I was planning to chase him around and shower him with more friendship! This convo (1,2) broke my kokoro, but that final conversation that followed it was a really good one, and Malcolm actually helped Saoirse develop and realize something when it came to their shared heartbreaks, intentional or not.

He was a wonderful character, and I always looked forward to bumping into you. It brightened my day when I did. Thanks for playing with me.

R0GUE
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by R0GUE » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:43 am

I will miss my favorite darts champion! I hope if you make a new character you will stop by the Nomad often!