Spyre

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Spyre

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:50 pm

The sheer amount of time, effort and skill Spyre put into Arelith is, frankly, staggering. I remember him mentioning he had done a 12 hour shift, then came home to do one or two hours working on rebuilds. That says so much for his dedication to the player base, it really does. He's always been a voice of kindness and reason in the community.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:58 pm

Yeah. iam somewhat stunned about Spyre's work rutine too. 12 hour shifts.. and then Arelith work afterward. No wonder you burn out , i sure would had if i was you. Hence a lot of respect from my side, given how long you kept the mantle on. best wishes in life, Sir Sean! your helpfulness and friendliness didn't go unnoticed. :)

Artenides

Post by Artenides » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:01 pm

I completely understand your reasons, your role is not an easy one. Being able to look behind the curtain I know that you worked a lot for the players and for the community as a whole. I am personally grateful for all the discussions we had in the past, you have always encouraged us, codemonkeys. :D
I think other players/DMs already summarized everything else I think about you, so all I need to say: Thank you and wish you all the best!
--
Plays as: [No active char atm]
"I am a software developer and a DnD nerd. That means I am equally qualified to deal with bugs and bugbears!"

Vranohr

Post by Vranohr » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:05 pm

I never had much interaction with you, be it in game or out of it. At the beginning of my time on Arelith you answered to few of my basic questions, and that's it, but I knew you worked hard, I saw your working based on things in forums, based what other players said, the rebuilds (!).

Nothing other than thank you for providing us with ability to rp!

Wish you good luck on road ahead!

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:46 pm

Im shocked to see the level of hostility and bullying you had to put up with in your role as a volunteer. I commend your staying power and commitment to this huge world and community.

I really hope you get the time to focus on yourself and I admire the strength it has taken for you to make this choice.

Take care of yourself.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:48 pm

going to miss Spyre having a answers to all the oddball questions

anyone who has such a caustic attitude to anyone on our teams, should really reevaluate their own selves rather than others.

Gonna miss you Sean, but you have to do whats best for you

Good Luck Bud!!
Yes I can sign

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:03 pm

When I first started playing here a few years back I thought you were a new DM because of how helpful you were. Generally my experience on NwN servers is that the new guys tend to be less jaded and far more helpful because lets face it the administrative side of this game tends to beat everyone down eventually. Clearly however that was not the case, and you were just that kind of person based on what I am reading here.

It really is unfortunate that certain people will take a disagreement to such an extreme that it brings the arelith community to this point. I get having passion for the game, and obviously people in administrative positions can make mistakes no matter how well intentioned they are and community feedback is the check on that. But to treat people like an enemy just because they have a different perspective then you is taking it way to far. I realize that's the thing everywhere now, and its likely the biggest contribution the internet has made to the human condition despite all of its potential. But people have to realize that when you are standing up for what you feel is right there is a real person across from you that ultimately has the same goal as you do, to make whatever you are arguing about (arelith, politics, whatever) the best it can possibly be.

In other words, we are all on the same side here. Don't be a Dick.

HoneyMead

Post by HoneyMead » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:10 pm

<3
“It was sad music. But it waved its sadness like a battle flag. It said the universe had done all it could, but you were still alive.” ― Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

Talvenlapsi

Post by Talvenlapsi » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:14 pm

All power to you, Sean. Take care of yourself.
You need the Dark in order to show the Light.
- Left the Isle: Sabre Brightburst, Liberty, Lila Havenfall, Lillaniarin Dragonsbane, Avidelra Aza'Athreen, Hexflaerin Amav'fer, Eclipse Silverbane

Beard Master Flex

Post by Beard Master Flex » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:48 pm

Thank you so much for volunteering your time for this hobby. Take care!

Nevrus

Post by Nevrus » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:55 pm

Here's hoping you find a job that doesn't require you to work 12 hour shifts!
Ganus- Riding the Isle (Active)
Aura Bigstep - Got Out Ahead (Retired)
Egos Ironhide - Shelved
Consult a medical professional before believing anything Nevrus says.

KT28
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by KT28 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:30 pm

You were the most dedicated, friendly, and selfless admin I have had the pleasure of knowing on Arelith. I'm deeply saddened to see you go under these circumstances. Best wishes to you and stay in touch!

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:20 pm

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

For real, though- thank you for your many efforts and contributions over the years. Take your break, take care of your life. We'll probably still be here later. Hopefully we see you again.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:30 pm

Sadly I feel we have some in this community that simply don't get it, they didn't with Mithreas, neither with Artos, Liareth or Dunshine.

Doing an administrators job on our server is really very hard indeed, especially when taking alongside full-time work, or a family or relationship. Coming home after a long day and having to often do 2-6 hours work nearly EVERY DAY would be hard enough, but when it is coupled with actual rudeness and complaints.

By any measure Spyre has really gone above and beyond these last years, making himself available to the players 24/7, dealing with their questions, requests, appeals and complaints here, on Discord, and via email. Not only this but he picked up so much slack elsewhere - helping out with development issues that were long overdue, and often spending hours helping players through whatever technical issues they were having.

When we spoke about it earlier in the week I advised him to consider being honest with the community about the reasons for his stepping back, because I personally have seen it way too often happen to our staff, who find themselves targetted, often by the very same players, who decide that they are not fit for purpose, and feel entirely comfortable in sharing that opinion as widely as possible.

As with almost all those other admins I mentioned above, what saddens me most is that after doing so much for this community they can find themselves leaving under a cloud - that they depart not in a sense of accomplishment to pursue other ambitions, but largely because of the constant drip of negatitivity their work has been met with. For those that do not know, devoting years of your life to something, only to have to quit due to it taking an increasingly harmful toll on one's psyche is one of the most depressing things anyone can go through, be it a profession, a relationship, or working for a community like Arelith. Kudos to Spyre for having the courage recognise when that time had come, his candour in expresssing it, and for all the work he has done for us, and also a kudos to all those taking their time to show appreciation for his work here.

As some of you may have seen in announcements, I had already lined up his replacement, but please do not think it will be business as usual. In the respect to the workload Spyre took on, and the endless patience and professional tone he took with players (and I've had cause to read a lot of it lately), we won't find another like him for some time. Sitting for 6-8 hour shifts remaking characters is not something I ask of any of our staff, and with his departure we all must learn to adjust our expectations.

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:50 am

I don't know about you guys, but I often think about the virtual graveyards of thousands of incredible empty worlds built that just die and fade into non-existence. There is so much content, amazing areas, incredible storytelling that ceased to exist because people stopped playing.
And not only in NWN but because this is a 17 years old game, in a non-profit server, it takes a lot more effort to keep it alive and thriving with a competent developing team.
That's why Arelith is so special. Somehow we made it, all the amazing storytelling drove us forward and we are not another dead world without any virtual players.

Do you all remember the amount of time and effort Spyre took when we migrated to EE and there were TONS of problems with CD-Keys and he always stepped up and helped every single one of us individually. All of that at a huge toll in his personal and playing/fun time. So when we lose someone like Spyre I feel that we lose someone who is able to build and maintain the community that distances itself from all the graveyard worlds.

DM Eyeball

Post by DM Eyeball » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:18 pm

When I grow up, I wanna be like Spyre!

vaclavc

Post by vaclavc » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:38 pm

Spyre, you have always been awesome, good luck and I hope to see you in game!
-V-
Retired characters: Thazmudin; Cyrianthir; Zalastrien; Nebuzirah; Qaenuhir; Toruvilen Sivolun; Vaeluzir.

Revelations

Post by Revelations » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:13 pm

So sad to see someone so dedicated to making things better for the community leave due to that kind of bs.

Gratitude and lots of love to you, I hope you don't carry that disappointment for too long.
Be faithful in the face of death
And I will give you the crown of life

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:25 pm

Thanks for all the help over the years Spyre, all the best!
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:22 am

Spyre you are awesome, im so thankful you have been a part of this community and this game.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:00 am

Kudos to you Spyre for doing an awesome job.

Sad to hear some losers trash-talk and give you a hard time without any sort of remorse or thought behind their provocations. Damned idiots incapable of anything but their constant whining.

Interium
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Interium » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:32 am

Arleith's losing a top DM and I really hope everyone will take a moment to consider the amount of work it takes to help keep this community running smoothly.

All the best to you and thank you for making Arelith a fun and eventful place!