Life is a victory march; the gone priest

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Archon

Life is a victory march; the gone priest

Post by Archon » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:41 am

I am not excellent in kudos delivery or receiving, and I avoid naming names - in part because the story panned across such a long stretch of time. There would be too many to count, and I am grateful for each one of you.

The story of Vance Gravelle was a wild ride, and greatest part of it stemmed from input of everyone he interacted with, impacted, or was impacted by. A big hand to DMs as well who helped me along the way to pull a great many things off and for patience. I did not plan to closure last night but it just happened, and it was a timing I could not let slip by (character's fate was sealed by a coin flip; how fitting).

Thank you for enduring him as a villain and haunted hero, as a friend, a lover, a teacher, a personality. He was a handful.

"Whatever it takes, some men will do".

Peace.

Yma23

Re: Life is a victory march; the gone priest

Post by Yma23 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:09 pm

Interacted with Vance over a number of characters, in a number of interesting ways and - with each time, they were subtly different and - ultimatly - wonderful.
Huge kudos to you for making such a memorable and wonderful character. My sadness is only counterbalenced with an excitement to see what you'll do next!

BaRKyy

Post by BaRKyy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:24 pm

One of the best characters to ever grace Arelith.
Jacetuhn Nerelith
Locksryn Vista
Banjo Morgan
Che Firenze
Sly Laenarys
James Hightower

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:24 pm

I don't think I can truly come close to expressing how much of an impact Vance has been on my characters, and you as a writer, through him, to me.

When I was just a wee beginner on Arelith, the name of Vance was one of the first I heard in stories, and being able to meet him over several characters has always held just a little bit of giddiness each time. I am thankful for every story we have been able to share in, whether in misery, joy, anger, or teaching (and a /lot/ of learning).

Of course, it doesn't mean this is an end of playing with you, at least I hope not >.<, but I do feel sad thinking about an Arelith with Vance only in our histories and memories, which does go to show how riveting and alive you have made him feel.

Thank you, and I can't wait to see who you adventure with next!

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

cptcuddlepants

Post by cptcuddlepants » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:30 pm

Vance was one of the most memorable characters I’ve ever interacted with. I was just telling a friend of mine about him the other day. I think I jinxed something... :(
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

CrystalRL

Post by CrystalRL » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:40 pm

I loved hating him on Ace </3

Chosen Son

Post by Chosen Son » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:06 pm

It saws alot about Vance as a character, and Archon as a player that I was able to interact with Vance, on 4 characters of my own, sometimes as an close ally, sometimes as an archenemy, and there was a consistency of feel, and quality in Archons portrayal of the character throughout. Certainly the character grew, but Vance always felt like Vance, and that kind of IC consistency, is a hallmark of a great roleplayer. That coupled with Archon going out of his way to interact with, and involve others with Vance, either as enemies or allies, led to Vance being a positive constant for the server for as long as he existed. Hell of a job Archon, many of my fondest nwn memories were spent interacting with the character, and my only regret was not being able to be there at the end to see how things played out. Look forward to seeing your next character.

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Great character, amazing roleplayer.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:22 pm

So Vance goes out as a celebrated hero after saving the island from necromancers...
What a twist! I love it! :lol:

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:49 pm

I am bad at kudos too. Vance was a great character. Enjoyed my interactions with him. I'm glad to hear he got a great send off!

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

sarithia

Post by sarithia » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:50 pm

Vance was a super inspirational impact on anyone and everyone he met, and my character was no different. I may have been chopping a few onions of course. Anyway, I will miss him even if we only interacted briefly. Kudos in its entirety.

Greivern Elisbrinn [Active]
Yaen Oakenshade [We'll see]
Anakhsun Emeratu [Shelved]
Jihael [Dead]
Nhil [Inactive]

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:24 pm

Whenever one of my many characters stumbled into Vance, I was super happy because of the great RP awaiting me. Very sad to see him go, but also happy you found a thematic conclusion for his arc.

Looking forward to your next character!

Glowing Mushroom
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:20 pm

I only got to interact with Vance a few times, but it was always an absolute pleasure. I hope the garden Burin built him is still enjoyed! Thank you for all of the immersive RP!
Burin the Earthly.

good man of god
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by good man of god » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:44 pm

Thank you for all of the fun with Vance across my two characters who crossed his path mainly - it was a blast!

I'll need to come and poke you to hear about what happened!

Previous:
Tornius Daressin
Matthew Daressin-Gravelle
Asvusha (Blake Lynk)
Sebastian Webster

Current:
Inkwell Thornwhisper

I will never sleep

Post by I will never sleep » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:25 pm

Vance was one of the best characters on the entire server. The last conversation my character ever had with him will linger in her memory forever. He was one of the few people she could confide just about anything in, and now he's gone. He was wonderfully RPed and part of me is genuinely sad to see him go .

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Bunnysmack » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:30 pm

Vance was a freakin' rock star of Arelith. My first character joined the knight of Darrowdeep (around the era that Vance ruled the Sharps with an iron gauntlet), he was infamous. When I made my drow schemer, he was infamous. You could make a character on the surface, in the underdark, on sencliff, it didn't matter: Vance was a legend. One of dread to some people, one of salvation to others.

Hell, one of the first screenshots I ever got shown for Arelith was of an event log from a combat between darrowdeep and the Sharps where Vance nuked our battle commander for over 400 damage. It came with the caption "OW!"

One thing he impressed me by from the get-go was playing the exact kind of villain that fosters the most RP: The relatable villain. Even when he was a mover and shaker in the underdark, he always had goals that people could relate to. If he was trying to smash one group, it was often in the defense of another one. The same seemed to largely hold true for his crusades on the surface when he sought redemption.

There were two mentors that helped shape my longest running Arelith character to date, and Vance was very much one of them. As a player, I will very much miss Vance. I truly hope to RP with Archon on other PCs in the future, however.
"You're insufferable..."
"That's not true! I can totally be suffered!"

Arcbled
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Arcbled » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:46 pm

I broke down a bit (a lot) during those final moments.

Tilly first read about Vance, and realised quickly that he would be an absolutely ideal subject for her interviews. When she mentioned this to people, she was told not to - because he was simply too dangerous. She was offered protection to meet with him. People said that she should at least meet him somewhere public.

When she finally bumped into him in Sibayad, she was shocked at how polite he was. Soon after that she managed to sit down for her interview with him - and she managed to ask only one question, before being derailed entirely and instead asking about him, his life and his worldview.

A worldview she found poignant and beautiful; not in spite of the life he had lead, but because of it.

After their last discussion, she was fully in the belief that Vance would always be around - like a kindhearted uncle, doing what he had to do to keep his (often rambunctious) kids safe.

To quote Tilly's tear-stained letter on the matter, "Out of love for a world that despised him for his past, he gave us a future."

GGWP.
"All we've actually got is each other. You decide what that means."

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:27 pm

You pulled a Daedin on me.

I really don't have the words.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:59 pm

"This man took so much from you. This man has slain your family. Your friends."

"This man has brought horrors to your world. Unspeakable things."

"He is a man of murder. Of sin. Of tearing down all you believe in."

"And you want to meet him?"

Vance was a wild ride. From arch villain of irredeemable quality to vague associate, to something nearing an ally. The talks had were interesting, out in the sands and to be lost to time likely. He's had an amazing story that I got to see from near start to finish.

As I do with all of your characters, I can't wait until the next.

Airport Proximity Jesus

Post by Airport Proximity Jesus » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:52 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed every single last character interaction we had. From being one of the people who helped me figure out what the hell I'm supposed to be doing on arelith to counseling my character on how redemption is even possible, it was a wonderful ride.

I can't wait to see what's next!
8-) Cool kids wear shades during the endless night 8-)

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:53 pm

ezra will always be part of vance

now they're stuck together

love your stuff archon
🤡

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:05 pm

I met Vance once as a villain, and many more times after his reformation. In every encounter he was polite, genteel, and welcoming, even that one time as a villain. Kudos to you for making one of the most memorable characters on the server!

Zaravella
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Zaravella » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:03 pm

It ain't easy to pull-off what you did. I appreciate all of our characters' interactions. And am looking forward to what you make next.

Kudos.

~Elinee Fynn's player
"Power is not revealed by striking hard or striking often; But by striking true."
-Honore de Balzac-

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:52 pm

We only had some brief, but impressive, interactions on an old character of mine - more importantly, it is great to see such a wonder of a character get such a fitting ending (and you accepting the ending). Astrid composed a poem in memory:

~Toss of Redemption~
Hordes of children cursed,
one would hope the worst,
lich arise, for death athirst,
plans wise and rehearsed,
but so crumble and burst,
lich in shield so immersed.

World fate grim and clear,
on faces only faze and fear,
plans of reserve we hear,
drag lich into prison sphere,
but they require that dear,
a life to be sacrificed near.

Two steps forth in stride,
a coin toss to so guide.

Some say one hold blame,
for supplies late to game,
yet when duty called name,
without doubt, forth came.

Another with crimes of old,
to this some frown and scold,
path to atone walked bold,
heart turned iron to gold.

Coin in the air spin,
land on hand’s skin,
Tymora’s face grin,
redemption win.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:51 am

The deluge of replies here in such short order speaks for itself.

I never got to RP with Vance until the recent two years despite both our dated characters having lived a strange parallel existence of near misses in many scenarios.

It must have taken some serious thought and consideration to come to the ultimate conclusion of such a character.

You had better be staying with us!
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.