Life is a victory march; the gone priest

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Defense Light Fables
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Life is a victory march; the gone priest

Post by Defense Light Fables » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:15 am

Vance has been a MILESTONE in Arelithian stories everywhere, and in most character's overarching plot lines, too.

The effect that Vance has had for the nigh-eternity he has been alive (even past an MoD) has been astonishing and inspiring to me as a growing player in this community. You and your character's development over the years is the pinnacle of what I should think a roleplayer and a character should be.

Well planned,
Well maintained,
Well disciplined,
Orderly, and most of all!

THE BEST FRIEND TO EVERYONE ON THE SERVER.

(unless ur mean then u get nothing from archon which is fine)

Looking forward to your next character with very warm thoughts.

-FortyFive

KT28
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by KT28 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:53 pm

Vance was a legend. Looking forward to whatever you bring to the server next!

AskRyze

Post by AskRyze » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:31 am

God it was fun playing red team against you. Cheers for being a good sport about it.
Flower Power wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:53 pm

You say this, but being MILDLY MEAN to people is treated like a war crime on Arelith.

Interium
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Interium » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:29 am

What a character and what a story!

The final meet between our toons got a bit bitter but they had an interesting relationship for sure. An initial meeting that had a massive impact on my character's story, was my first real and proper introduction to some of Underdark's roleplayers too, and I must say you made it a ton of fun for me, since there's been many great meetings, and I've enjoyed every encounter with Vance, truly.

It's impossible not to with such a well written character, who affected Arelith and the people there in so many ways. So big kudos to you.

While it's sad to see him go I can't help but look forward to whatever you plan on playing next!

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:01 pm

cool character, cool player
Intelligence is too important

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:02 pm

Vance was an absolutely amazing character, I am honoured to have been part of Vance's story as much as I've been. When I started the server, I never would have thought my character would end up redeeming one of the server's most notorious villains. And when I decided to make my character gay, it was to evade female characters trying to cling onto him. I never expected my character would end up in such a meaningful relationship. The entire story has been a wild ride, with a lot of very intense and heart-felt moments.

Vance had a significant impact on my character. For the vast portion of Garrett's existence, it has been working with Vance. Now that Vance is gone, for the first time in ages Garrett will act purely on his own behalf. I'm not sure where Garrett will go from here, he has some traits that he held back on for Vance's sake that are now going to emerge. But the lessons Vance left behind will not be forgotten. I hope that I will get to RP with Archon's next characters. As much as I'll miss Vance, I'm glad Archon will finally be free to have a new main character who won't be hounded by speedies every 5 minutes.

I went through and found a bunch of screenshots:

This is when my character first interviewed Vance. They met because my character was filled with spite. My character was told by the Arcane Tower to pretend the Cyricists never attacked, and insulted my character when he asked for details. So my character set out to write about the Cyricists so nobody would ever forget. This kicked off the whole thing, my character interviewing an Andunorian warlord.

The desert house was owned by Duvain back then, it saw a lot of use. It was the best decorated house I had seen on the server, I was amazed at all of the custom descriptions of everything, all of the artwork.

Vance showing up at an exile hearing. As soon as he entered it disrupted everything, it was great.

There were a few times my character was legitimately afraid of Vance, when the evil really came out.

(find Garrett in the picture.)

Vance's friends played weird and dangerous games

One of the big things with Vance was, even as a Cyricist, he hated hypocrisy and championed truth. Eventually that dissonance became too large, and he converted to Oghma. When that happened he gave my character his pet tree to take care of.

Vance took Garrett on many adventures.

Vance cast raise dead on the tiny cow:

Being on Arborea inspired Garrett to stop living a double life, to stop honouring the Black Sun by lying about who he was. His disguise outfit had a brown coat. He later dyed it blue when he merged his disguise life into his real life. It followed him through the whole Vance journey.

It was an uncertain time for both our characters. Vance was slowly revealing to people he converted to Oghma, and Garrett was going to the people in his life and revealing he was engaged to Vance. Vance was present for some of those meetings!

Vance consecrating Garrett's altar.

Vance showing Garrett Andunor.

More of the desert home. It was used for various things, such as holding an Arcanum lecture.

Or trying to divine the location of something.

But Vance as a character was gradually changing. He tried to spend more time on the surface.

Vance was the only thing that could calm Garrett down when a DM event messed with his mind.

Eventually Vance moved to the surface, in the finest decorated cave.

But this was short lived, Archon went on a large break, ending that chapter. When Vance returned began a new chapter, where Vance focused wholly on the surface.
His first day back.

Vance had helped Myon in the past, and continued to do so.

Eventually Myon was the first settlement to accept Vance's presence.

And he became an upstanding, naturalized citizen.

Vance remained distant from settlements, eventually working out of the Sibayad fortress. But even from the fringes of society he actively worked to better the world.

Healing Anakhsun after the Velsharrans experimented on her:

Dealing with trying to free slaves, and other slaves undermining that effort:

From the Lovewood event. An act of love was needed to open the portal.

From Lora's funeral:

Garrett wanted to do nice things for Vance. Knowing his favourite thing were the Limbo tiny cows, Garrett summoned one for Vance.

A lot of other random screenshots:

From a language lesson:

I often get the bug where heads disappear from people. The statement without a head was funny to me:

From when Vance's son Matthew left the island:

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:21 pm

For some reason, mostly timezone based, I never got to interact with Vance very much, but I do have one memory where my paladin meet with him and the Bone Witch on the shadow plane for creepy tea.

Best of luck on the new character
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:18 pm

I see where Vance got his tea drinking style from.

Vance was an awesome character and as always with Archon's characters an undeniable presence. Just so gosh darn interesting to rp with.

I'd be sad to see Vance go, but I know whatever Archon comes up with next is going to be awesome.

Veresi

Post by Veresi » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:18 pm

Hey Vance,

your character has been great, i appreciated playing with him, on all the characters he has been different but so similar. Thank you for that lot of Rp you have generated. I am looking forward to see you again ingame somehow somewhere! :)

Thank you for the enforcers.
Thank you for a wonderful counterpart in Sibayad.

monkeywithstick
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by monkeywithstick » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:31 am

Been contemplating what to say on this for a while.
Izzy and Vance interacted only infrequently, but from my side each encounter was incredibly memorable and meaningful.
Drinks in Sibayad, a terse exchange on the isle of dragons, the more recent encounters which are perhaps a bit more FOIP.

Much love. It's been a delight.
Characters: Izzy, short for Isabel. Shaena Ash.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:08 am

While I never got close enough to RP with him in depth, I am not ashamed to say he was a PC I loved to hate.

Papi J

Post by Papi J » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:07 am

Wow, what a ride it has been. In the grand scope of things they did not actually interact for each other for long, but he had a major impact on John and he will be sorely missed.

<3
Red_Wharf wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:19 am
satan wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:16 pm
Lose. The word you are looking fore is lose.

Loose is the opposite of tight.
For. The word you are looking for is "for.”

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Aniel » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:51 am

I've been thinking it over the past few days and decided to write on here. I had no idea how to handle the news - I was simply stunned when I first heard that Vance rolled. I made what might've been a mistake of looking through Party's photos as it actually got me to tear up. I didn't think a character rolling on Arelith would ever get this much of an emotional response from me, but here we are.

Lora Gallenson had a lot of cool interactions with Vance. While there were a few lows over my time of playing her, she went through so many things and the last big story arc with Vance was spectacular. In many ways, it was so very perfect. The final confrontation was so tense, and the last back and forth between Lora and Vance was golden. Every single defense, excuse, everything she tried to pull to escape the consequences, Vance perfectly shut it down. I was very impressed with how much was remembered about her, a few things Vance mentioned there things that were said a long time ago prior and only once or twice. Even with it being my own character it was immensely satisfying seeing every lie they had told be dismantled in front of them, and to face the consequences for all of their foul deeds.

If not for Vance, I probably would've suddenly rolled Lora one day on no meaningful note. Vance was so integral to all of that.

But, what I remember Vance the most for, still, is the conversations between him and Isandra. The first time they met in the Hub was also the very moment that she ceased to be a Xyvil'kor. While they never particularly had long conversations on anything that wasn't business - the principles of Vance always really stood out. He was one of the most eye opening people.

While I'm very sad that he's gone, the finale to it sounds like it was fantastic. And, all good stories have to have an end.

Really looking forward to what comes next.

Azensor

Post by Azensor » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:11 am

doubt you remember the goblin much, but uzbeg really did want to shank vance..atleast once :lol: but, things happened and things moved onwards, peace to vance o7

Complex
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Complex » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:04 pm

<3

Chaoshawk

Post by Chaoshawk » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:00 pm

I mostly only got the Underdark Vance and was happy I got to see the end, look forward to RPing with you again.

Fallout

Post by Fallout » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:07 am

At least 4 of my characters were interacting with Vance, each in his different character mode as toon evolved and i loved them all, so glad i seen his end but still i most like his begining in Sharp with Ezra, or teaming up with Wheua (who i really miss).

...i liked those interactions i had with you as duergar Hilda, always seeing him as a "Pretty Face" of Adunor, likely only character that she was always positive with.

Btw, that was a great end, while no one really icly care much due to Vances background what makes it even more epic. :)

Hope you make a duergar, its about time! ;)

Great ride m8, KUDOS!

Lexx

Post by Lexx » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:12 pm

Kudos after the multitude of characters I've encountered Vance on over the years. May your next characters be equally as rewarding!

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:47 pm

I make a habit of not really bothering with kudos threads in general, but I'm breaking that habit to chime in here with a very belated:

Vance was a p. cool duderino.
what would fred rogers do?

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:51 am

The Man. The Myth. The Legend.

Aellowyn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aellowyn » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:23 pm

I think I saw Vance, once, in my time of playing, but his name came up quite a bit. His popularity has to be some sort of feat. ;)

<redacted> Main
<redacted> Drow Alt
<redacted> Slave Alt
<redacted> Elf Alt
<rolled> Barbaric Elf Alt
<redacted> Alts of alts alt

Rasha

Post by Rasha » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:54 am

It was interesting to see both sides of Gravelle, across multiple toons. My brief encounters with him never felt like enough, in Andunor as my enemy, the surface as my enemy, and finally as an ally of my allies. Always I wish I had the opportunity for more.

Still, he was much admired from afar. Definitely top five, quality RPers the server has had.

I hope you find joy, in whatever comes next. Peace, also with you.
-=- Somebody that You used to Know -=-

Sindaglin

Post by Sindaglin » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:25 pm

I can Remember the first time Arak and Vance met in the Hub along with Matthew ...there was only a slight nod given but it was known mutually of Respect . I can only hope Arak ascends to a level close to Vance and the RP you created !

Thank You for all the brief conversations and some longer always great speaking to you
“ Brothers , what we do in life echoes in eternity “
Sindaglin Cu'thalion Sentinel of Myon - deceased
Arak War Chieftan of the Deep Legion -ActiveMain

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:00 pm

Vance was one of the main OOC inspirations that drove me as Karstaag to become the next big bad villain for the Arelith with my RP.
Hope I can still reach same lvl as he did someday with the ogre.
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)