Soulhaven School

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Soulhaven School

Post by Irongron » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:54 pm

One feature of the new Soulhaven Monastery (and one I took from early medieval European monasteries) is a large school, not only with teaching rooms for player lectures, but also a somewhat ambitious new feature - a referenced library.

A place where one can not only learn about the Forgotten Fealms setting, but also read up on 'real world' knowledge.

Obviously these texts should be equally applicable to the Forgotten Realms, but that still leaves a lot of scope for subjects such as mathematics, zoology, even some philosophical theories (albeit without names).

My intention is to establish an ever increasing body of contributor texts that will not only eventually be a definitive online, in game source of setting lore (similar to Andunor's Map Room), but also a place a player can spend a few hours and come away feeling they have learned something.

Having a location one can visit in game, to follow up on some RP by reading about the Mind Flayers, or the home town of a fellow character who mentioned being from Tethyr, I think could be extremely rewarding.

What differentiates the Soulhaven school texts from those in the other game libraries, or the Arcane Tower, is that I specifically want to create a reference library, NOT place for pieces of creative writing, or character theories about a spell school, or the cultural significance of the Bendirian badger.

I'd like players to help create something special here, so please use this thread to submit texts.

Please give them a broad subject title, plus a secondary, more specific one. For example 'Elven History - The First Flowering' and please do a thorough spell check on submitted texts so I'm not required to do extensive edits over the next 18 months)

I think this is a worthwhile idea, but could really do with community help! (I went slightly insane compiling Andunor's Map Room alone)

Izaich

Re: Soulhaven School

Post by Izaich » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:32 am

Hopefully this is the kind of stuff you're asking for:

Royal Lineages of Impiltur - Mirandor Dynasty

Inrath I - Born -106DR, reigned from -74DR to -47DR. First King of Impiltur; son of Ornath
Inrath II - Born -76DR, reigned from -47DR to -18DR. First son of Inrath I.
Varanth I - Born -52DR, reigned from -18DR to -3DR. First son of Inrath II.
Tamarth "the Tyrant" - Born -26DR, reigned from -3DR to 1DR. Second son of Varanth I; persecuted citizens of Nar stock within kingdom; assassinated; died without issue.
Loaraven "the Poxed" - Born -24DR, reigned from 1DR to 3DR. Third son of Varanth I; killed by plague; died without issue.

((Turns out there's a long list of names tucked away in these old dynasties. Let me know if this is the kind of thing you're after, and I'll finish the list. I'm really just transcribing pages from "The Grand History of the Realms" by Brian R. James and Ed Greenwood.))

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:01 pm

Ensuring canon-veracity will be exceptionally hard given that we're now 2 editions out of date, but this is a very dope idea that I'll likely contribute to!
magistrasa wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:21 am
and i want it to be known that i am stronger than god
Mithreas wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:24 am
"Harlot" is allowable language.

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:10 am

I could contribute some character perspectives on specific deities, so factual IC information, as opposed to the very ooc slanted stuff we get in the existing deity books?

Peachoo

Post by Peachoo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:41 pm

I actually created a library like this in the Arcane Tower. There's 5 bookshelves dedicated to island history. There's only one shelf on arcane stuff. It's in the Hall of Alteration. A lot of the texts in there are transcribed. There's like philosophy and books on nature, medicine etc etc.

It's called the Lost Library. Cause like, I wanted to do a lost library of alexandria thing with Catalina.

Pincushion

Post by Pincushion » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:48 pm

I can imagine forms of Socratic dialogue would fit in pretty well if you're looking for philosophy. You could easily incorporate long-gone characters in said dialogues, something like Plato's 'Symposium' wherein one FR-related concept is discussed and different viewpoints are given. I'd personally love the space that Socrates traditionally fills as the arbitrator of the dialogue to be filled with a character like Amadeo Pneuma, but I think they might still be knocking about. Someone like Ayin Mesmer would also work.