Tattoo Request [Art competition!]

KeldonDonovan

Tattoo Request [Art competition!]

Post by KeldonDonovan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:43 am

Howdy all. I suck at art. But I see you guys don't. I'm itching for a new tattoo. I have several nerdy tattoos as is, all that have meaning to me. The one nerdy aspect of my life I've been unable to find a fitting tattoo for is NWN, or more specifically, Arelith.

So I'm asking for input from you guys. What I am looking for:

Something that symbolizes Arelith/NWN.
No Shading/complex artistic stuff that I don't understand and is difficult to replicate
Strong lines.

Winner gets stamped somewhere on my body forever :-p

[Edit] updated title to reflect desire for pictures, not descriptions.
Last edited by KeldonDonovan on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Syrima

Re: Tattoo Request

Post by Syrima » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:42 am

I don't know about you but I find the eye logo pretty tattoo worthy

KeldonDonovan

Post by KeldonDonovan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:01 am

I considered that, but there is nothing inherently Arelithian about it. My Nerd Tattoos all mean something to me in one way or another, and while Arelith is a NWN server, it is Arelith that has introduced me to friends, and helped shaped me into who I am today, ten years later.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:04 am

"I <3 Donny"

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:23 am

Tatoo the Artos map (or wait for the age when I may complete mine)
Arelith Map....jpg
Arelith Map....jpg (11.59 KiB) Viewed 12058 times
This may allow you to always keep Arelith in your skin :) and as extra bonus... if you get lost, you can always find your way back by checking it.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Stath

Post by Stath » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:15 am

A giant Tattoo of Mithreas on your back, giving a double thumbs up.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

KeldonDonovan

Post by KeldonDonovan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:36 pm

I would consider a map, but I have seen the lay of the land change a few too many times to make a permanent rendering :-p

As for a giant tattoo of Mithreas on my back, I apologize, but my back is already tattooed with Vivi from FFIX.

And no to the I <3 Donny tattoo. lol. :-p

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:41 pm

sword with d20 instead of a gem in the handle/crossguard that reads ARELITH in some fancy script along the blade on your shoulder

KeldonDonovan

Post by KeldonDonovan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:16 pm

I already have a d20 on my shoulder. I'm liking the eye, so far, I'm just trying to figure out how to Arelith it up a bit.

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:12 pm

Entirely new proposals, to which no contest should emerge:

A tatoo of Ayin Mesmer, upon a regal throne with boot atop the matron Dra'kaa, being fawned over by excessively scant women at either side. In his hands is held a decadent chalice of his foes' blood and tears, and at the front of the throne-arms? Preserved and flaming human skulls. Not to forget for spikes to jut out the side impractically, to complete the ensemble.

Although, if you're going for mediocrity; could just have the eye, tatooed in word art format; formed of a repetitive coalition of Arelith and its various analogous names (settlements, the server itself, dragons, bosses, etc.)
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

KeldonDonovan

Post by KeldonDonovan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:47 pm

DestroyerOTN wrote: Although, if you're going for mediocrity; could just have the eye, tatooed in word art format; formed of a repetitive coalition of Arelith and its various analogous names (settlements, the server itself, dragons, bosses, etc.)
Not sure what you mean by this, but to be on the safe side, I'll point out that I have little to no artistic talent, my skill is in tracing, not creating. So I was looking moreso for pictures, not descriptions. Especially since if it's a picture, I know what you mean. Reading the above, my Englishing fails me and I find myself at a loss.

Mulled

Re: Tattoo Request [Art competition!]

Post by Mulled » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:07 pm

The stylised 'A' of the Arelith forum header?

KeldonDonovan

Post by KeldonDonovan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:47 am

I've been trying to figure out how to do that, and incorporate the NWN eye as well, but again, I suck at arting. Thus, this "Competition".

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:42 am

An open book with a blank pages, a quill and an inkwell, with the NWN eye on the inkwell. (you could also have the word Arelith written on one of the pages, like a chapter title*)

Arelith is about creating and telling a story through NWN, so it seems pretty symbolic to have the NWN symbol on the ink, while keeping it as a support to the true story.

Something similar to this, with the inkwell.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 225fad.jpg

* If you did this, you get things to look fitting by having the tip of the quill be where the first sentence in the chapter would be. This would keep the "book in progress" look, rather than a "is it done, is that the title of the book or...?"

I might be over thinking this a bit. XD How complex of a design are you after?

KeldonDonovan

Post by KeldonDonovan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:55 am

Not terribly complex, as I don't know how to shade with a tattoo gun. That is a beautiful book though, and the idea is terrific. If I had buckets of money I'd get a real tattoo artist to do it. As is, I might wait until I'm better and do that tattoo in addition to whatever more easily replicated tattoo I get for starters. Baby steps :)

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:01 pm

DestroyerOTN wrote:A tatoo of Ayin Mesmer, upon a regal throne with boot atop the matron Dra'kaa, being fawned over by excessively scant women at either side. In his hands is held a decadent chalice of his foes' blood and tears, and at the front of the throne-arms? Preserved and flaming human skulls. Not to forget for spikes to jut out the side impractically, to complete the ensemble.
i

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:12 am

KeldonDonovan wrote:Not terribly complex, as I don't know how to shade with a tattoo gun. That is a beautiful book though, and the idea is terrific. If I had buckets of money I'd get a real tattoo artist to do it. As is, I might wait until I'm better and do that tattoo in addition to whatever more easily replicated tattoo I get for starters. Baby steps :)

are you tattooing yourself???? that's hardcore.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

KeldonDonovan

Post by KeldonDonovan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:54 pm

Marsi wrote:are you tattooing yourself???? that's hardcore.
Yes I am. I've done several before. My main issue is that I can trace lines very well, but I can't draw. So if I have a good piece of art to copy with defined lines, then I can replicate it on skin. If I don't have a good piece of art, all I can do is start a forum post and hope it doesn't get overrun with requests such as "A tattoo of Ayin Mesmer" but instead is loaded with a variety of artwork (as opposed to ideas, because again, I suck at drawing) with which to immortalize.

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:23 pm

Syrima wrote:I don't know about you but I find the eye logo pretty tattoo worthy
Smack dab in the middle of your forehead. Do it.
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

Syrima

Post by Syrima » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:38 am

High Primate wrote:
Syrima wrote:I don't know about you but I find the eye logo pretty tattoo worthy

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:57 am

High Primate wrote:
Or shave your head, then put it directly in the back.

"I've got my eye on you"
*turns around and walks away*
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

KeldonDonovan

Post by KeldonDonovan » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:04 pm

I can't tell if you guys are seriously suggesting these or not. If you are, no thank you, my tattoos are easily concealed in business attire so that professionalism does not suffer, which rules out head tattoos.

If you aren't serious, then... Well, thanks for nothing.

Urch

Post by Urch » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:27 am

The problem with Arelith is it has no defined logo. unless you'd want a simplistic sketched face of Aribeth featured on the front page or the big A symbol.

What would you say your favourite memory of this place is? Maybe that could influence a good starting point for a tattoo.
Likewise, when you think of Arelith, what exactly do you think of?
If my landlord's scanner works properly, then I might be able to upload some sketches.
Then again this is a printer/scanner that refuses to print in black and white because there isn't any cyan ink left.
For only $1 a day you can sponsor someone with chronic altitis.

Another day, another Doug.

KeldonDonovan

Post by KeldonDonovan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:54 am

When I think of Arelith, I think of Drow society, Banites, Shairin Dria'fiend, Mebrith, Meglith, 4SaKN, and level 9. I was considering the eye with a red nine in the background, but I still don't know. I'll take any realistic suggestions I can get, while still being able to get a job. (ie. no forehead tattoo)

Syrima

Post by Syrima » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:14 am

Well you could take the A at the start of the logo and do something with it like have it be the iris for the nwn eye.