Sketch of the frame of the Arelith Map

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Sketch of the frame of the Arelith Map

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:31 pm

Allright, as requested, I made a fast sketch (not even a draft) of what am I thinking about to make the frame of the Arelith Map (medieval-fantasy style)...

Keep in mind that the ended original map will be in a format A2 (33 x 44 inches)
So this is only a first approximation to let us make an idea what have I in mind.

Also it will contain allusions to Arelith's mysterious places (someone almost can be guessed already) and I have wanted to do honoring to the principal dragoons of the island...

Certainly, the definitive map's forms will be taken care, the finished well drawings and everything all that fits to hope from a map that I wait, almost you all will want to hang in your house or on the screen of your computers.

Enjoy!
Sketch of the Arelith Map.jpg
Sketch of the Arelith Map.jpg (91.4 KiB) Viewed 14795 times
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Faye

Re: Sketch of the frame of the Arelith Map

Post by Faye » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:39 pm

ACE.
Maphias wrote:I've spent‏ like‏ over 200K on women's clothing from various stores around Arelith over the years‏

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:44 pm

Faye wrote:ACE.
:D

I hope I will keep that feeling with the map once completed then!

Thank you!
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Tathkar Eisgrim

Post by Tathkar Eisgrim » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:20 pm

A suggestion: Don't make the frame a complete circle. Suggest a circle but don't make it entirely drawn in. Also, perhaps make the frame a little thinner. The frame is dominating the map, when the map should be the subject.

Madukthedoppelganger

Post by Madukthedoppelganger » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:44 pm

As a nice detail, you could give the dragons accurate heads, since their shapes are one of the primary ways to distinguish different dragons, along with colour and wing-type. Forgotten Realms Wiki has fairly detailed illustrations that show the differences.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:50 pm

Fellows:

First than anything else: thanks for your tips and sugestions, that I know are born from your best wishes... Said this:

A sketch is a sketch, something to make a starting idea about how that will be. (And this one took me about 14 minutes to do it just to give a feeling: Not sizes, not scales, defo distorted as it will be, the inner map is just to show where the map will go hahahah, the format is not at all the one that will be (I drawn this in a A5 while the map will be in A2, I didn't gave detaills to anything cause the dragons are there only sketches...)

The map won't (at all):

1. Won't have a frame as big as showed in the sketch. Be sure the map will dominate the map :P
Perhaps, could be that the frame kept the same size in a format ten times biggest, so imagine the inner island ten times largest than it is shown in this sketch, while the frame could continue as it is, so definitively the map will be the subjet.

I am not spending several hours to just make a frame lol

2. Won't be a circle, but an eliptic. (The Astrolabe above and the Rose of the Winds down, will be circles, yes, nnot as they show now... and detailled, and propperly drawn!

3. Won't forget the propper draggon heads (I have allready and from long time ago all the info about the diferent dragon types)

4. Won't miss detaill on the drawn element, figures and illustrations (including even dragon scales for the dragons)

I guess I won't add anything else untill I finally made the map hahahahaha
I don't want more mistakes or misunderstandings nor confuse the people with things that aren't even a draft.

Cheers!

Thank you

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:42 pm

So full of awesome!
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Rattus_norvegicus99 wrote:So full of awesome!
Thank you.

I think I will attach here a sample about how could be the exactly relation and size between the frame and the map. Keep in mind that will be an aproaching... and that as soon as I started to draw the first draft, I will surely modify it.
Arelith map proportions concept.jpg
Arelith map proportions concept.jpg (53.57 KiB) Viewed 14708 times
Even here the frame could be so fat... I will probably make it more thin.
EDIT: Yes, I made a proof and the frame in a format A3 seems like I will need to make it thiner.

The four corners outside the frame, will have some illustrations aswell, to keep some Loross explanations about Arelith and the own map...

Expect some hiden messages with secrets all around the map, while I love riddles and secrets a lot... hint for the misteries lovers.

Cheers

Thank you

Mofference

Post by Mofference » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:24 pm

I was just checking your old thread on the old forums about coats of arms for cities - Cordor has a few options, but one of them is NOT the silver starburst on a blue field; that's the Cordor Guard's. Lord Vetinari's symbol is a shield sable. That's it. Entirely black. There are flags about Cordor which infer that the city's is a quartered black and white, but a more recently-added, but fairly secret location has a single-headed golden eagle displayed on an azure field clarified as the ancient coat of arms of the founders of Cordor.
matron xun'viir; tear down this wall

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:08 pm

Mofference wrote:I was just checking your old thread on the old forums about coats of arms for cities - Cordor has a few options, but one of them is NOT the silver starburst on a blue field; that's the Cordor Guard's. Lord Vetinari's symbol is a shield sable. That's it. Entirely black. There are flags about Cordor which infer that the city's is a quartered black and white, but a more recently-added, but fairly secret location has a single-headed golden eagle displayed on an azure field clarified as the ancient coat of arms of the founders of Cordor.

The map would be released on 102- 105 AR, so I should use the current coat of arms, not old crests. Since will be every: IC/OOC map, due I RP I am making it with one of my characters, but I will draw it in real meanings... I need to keep caring on the IG side and avoid FOIG that I coudn't realice through my character.

So I guess I will go with what my character could see... So, the current coat of arms and not the old ones.

I wanted to know about the old or former coats for those settlements who didn't replaced them, but forgot to use them. So in absence of a new one, I could use the old one.

Thank you

Mofference

Post by Mofference » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:12 pm

There is no current coat of arms, it's purely based on the fact that there's a couple flags in Cordor with a black and white quartering, with no lore or statements.

Though, er, I intend to address this ICly, actually.
matron xun'viir; tear down this wall

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:07 pm

Mofference wrote:There is no current coat of arms, it's purely based on the fact that there's a couple flags in Cordor with a black and white quartering, with no lore or statements.

Though, er, I intend to address this ICly, actually.
I am not sure to be agreeing... Since, there is not current City Crest, the one the City gets is by absence, the one of his ruler: Lord Vetinari.

So, my bet is that the Cordor crest is a sable (black) field,
with a sable black hole in his centre (joke)
I am tempted anyway to use the quartered flag white and black... as the black quarter represents the vetinari crest and the white could be the city itself, or a symbol of the Council...

A black crest could be so sad in the map... so once i face the time to add it, I will decide...

UNLESS: IG a new crest was added and morkhav could notice it. ;)

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:50 am

Okay... I started to draw the map at last!

As I reached a fair epic level on my second character my adiction dropped a bit, so I am getting finally free time to share with the map!

I also decided to make as a diferent work an heraldic tree about the different settlements and most important orders/guilds, since I cannot place all the heraldic I wanted in the main Arelithian map.

Stay attuned

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:50 pm

Update:

As I am getting soem of my rooms painted... (this includes where i have my computer..) I could beak from my addiciton to Arelith yesterday, so continued drawing the map on his last stage.

A portion of the frame is in pencil drawn...

Coastal line draw...

Cordor in draft phase (it takes a good portion compared with the other settlements)

Geographical details in process

Some fashion details in process

Still calculating proportions on the eastern side of the land content.

Overall... a 5% of pencil phase is done :lol: but my GF saw the current work and said wow, so getting energies XD

Note: I post this to encourage myself to continue, as I am terrible LAZY lately :oops:

Thank you

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:43 pm

I love your sketch. I'm more a painter than a sketcher - really wish I had your talent!
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:08 pm

Arelith map in progress (pencil phase).JPG
Current progress (uncompleted pencil phase)
Arelith map in progress (pencil phase).JPG (144.97 KiB) Viewed 14116 times

Thank you

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:51 am

Noice!

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:31 pm

:) good job Moon!
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:58 am

I am happy to announce that I completed the map in pencil! (To me) it looks amazing.

The only thing I am missing, are the riddles I wanted to place, but, perhaps, I may add them in my next projects instead... (Next is a big map of the Arelith Forest currently now in progress).

I am going to start the ink phase this weekend. Once concluded I will post here a photograph and will scan it as soon as posible.

Next: Give it colour in two ways:
1. The original will be coloured in artistic way by hand.
2. The scanned copy may be coloured with photoshop (with the advices of Artos as I never worked with that program).

If all goes as should be, the next week I will release the photo, previously to the colour phase. (At that point, the map will be available for those interested onec scanned)

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:55 pm

Map in progress.jpg
Map in progress.jpg (162.92 KiB) Viewed 13928 times
Inking.jpg
Inking.jpg (127.96 KiB) Viewed 13928 times

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:45 pm

InkiII.jpg
InkiII.jpg (238.08 KiB) Viewed 13921 times

Thank you

Urch

Post by Urch » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:36 am

Looking good man.
For only $1 a day you can sponsor someone with chronic altitis.

Another day, another Doug.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:13 pm

Coming.jpg
Coming.jpg (249.19 KiB) Viewed 13892 times
Soon...

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:59 pm

Arelith Map....jpg
Arelith Map....jpg (11.59 KiB) Viewed 13755 times
IsComing.jpg
IsComing.jpg (245.57 KiB) Viewed 13868 times
In my mind looked better, seems as my hands can't beat my imagination :lol:

This is the last imagen I post here... the next one will be the completed version, to share with the Arelith Community once done.

Cheers.

PD. These are photos, so distort the already distorted work in progress.

Thank you