JediMindTrix Bilge Repository (Projects Home)

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

JediMindTrix

JediMindTrix Bilge Repository (Projects Home)

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:22 pm

Repository for various projects, scripts, and override tweaking I've completed. First up: Updated Dynamic Kobolds override. Download link below.

Most people know how to do this nowadays, but just in case:
Iceborn wrote: Installation:

1) Unzip.
2) Place Koboz.hak in your NWN/Patch folder (if you don't have one, create it)
3) Place nwnpatch.ini in your NWN root folder; overwrite is generally safe unless you have other custom patches installed.
4) If you have an appearances.2da file in your override folder, read the readme for further instructions.
Done!

Uninstallation:
1) Delete NWNPatch.ini, or alternatively, remove the reference to koboz.hak from NWNPatch.ini
2) Delete koboz.hak from your patch folder.
Warning!
This override override's all 4 player kobold options. This means a lot of Kobold's will come out with a plain fleshy pigment that may be jarring. Any player not using this is likely to look similarly jarring. I'm also unsure how it will interact with the color mirror's in the Character Customization Area, but since the colors you choose in the character creation screen will transfer over to the Kobold, it theoretically should work.

I would be much obliged if the first to try this is successful in changing their skin color using the mirror.

Also, I did not test every possible armor combination. Let me know of any encountered bugs and I'll see what I can do.

Download Link - Updated 7/30/2015!
Kobold1 Description: This one will give your male and female kobolds a scaled appearance, but as a consequence, all humanoids will appear to be heavily scarred.
Koboz2 Description: This one will your male and female kobolds a kobold appearance with human skin. I recommend this one because it will allow you to see armor on your kobolds, while preventing every Human and Drow you encounter from looking like Sion.

Noted bugs:
Misaligned pelvis and thighs. -Mayonaise
Crashes when -polymorphing have been reported -Iceborn (Nothing I can do about this one)
Robe 1 and 2 did not appear to be models that were converted to the Kobold, so these likely won't show up.

Update
Updated the appearance.2da's to 1.69 standards. I recommend re-downloading if you are using these.
Last edited by JediMindTrix on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:30 am, edited 18 times in total.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Re: JediMindTrix Bilge Repository (Projects Home)

Post by Iceborn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:57 pm

I'll be trying this in a while, and tell you what I can figure.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:59 pm

Note that a DM can take you to the character modification area, and you should be able to change skin colour on the mirrors there. I think.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:07 pm

Iceborn wrote:I'll be trying this in a while, and tell you what I can figure.
I foolishly never tested this as an override, only as a patch. So I'll be reuploading a different version with better instructions here shortly. Trying it as just an override will result in human skin tones and a kobold head. Freaky and hilarious, but not what we want.
Mithreas wrote:Note that a DM can take you to the character modification area, and you should be able to change skin colour on the mirrors there. I think.
I hope it works, but it also might not because the server isn't using the override. The models that this override changes do not normally have a .plt to change skin colors on, and I think it might break the scripts functionality.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:23 pm

Should work.

Models have a line in appearance.2da. There are several types - L and S for most creatures (Large and Simple). However, part based creatures have P. The client takes this letter and knows what models to look for in the local resource set to render the creatures. So your override will be changing appearance.2da to make kobolds P type models, and adding all the necessary local graphics to render P type models for them.

So far so good. The only bit I don't know is how colours are transmitted from server to client. Colours all have an index number, so the key question is whether the server will send colour information for models it thinks are L or S, as well as P type models. I suspect it will, because that's the simpler way to code things, which will mean everything works as intended. If not, it might be possible to change the 2da on the server to P to make colours work without breaking people not using the override. Something we can look into if you can't make it work with just the override.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:24 pm

Mithreas wrote:Should work.

Models have a line in appearance.2da. There are several types - L and S for most creatures (Large and Simple). However, part based creatures have P. The client takes this letter and knows what models to look for in the local resource set to render the creatures. So your override will be changing appearance.2da to make kobolds P type models, and adding all the necessary local graphics to render P type models for them.

So far so good. The only bit I don't know is how colours are transmitted from server to client. Colours all have an index number, so the key question is whether the server will send colour information for models it thinks are L or S, as well as P type models. I suspect it will, because that's the simpler way to code things, which will mean everything works as intended. If not, it might be possible to change the 2da on the server to P to make colours work without breaking people not using the override. Something we can look into if you can't make it work with just the override.
That's good to hear you'll try and support this :) Guess now we just wait for someone to try out the mirror!

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:25 pm

Or make a new kobold with real colours to test :)

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:32 pm

Mithreas wrote:Or make a new kobold with real colours to test :)
Tested, the chosen skin color transferred! Theoretically, the mirror should work too.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:44 pm

Good stuff.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:53 pm

Too many files, patches, links, instructions.
Alright. I can't make it work, and I'm not entirely sure what's the issue exactly, so let's see how we troubleshoot this.

As far as I think I understand it, we need the base dynamic kobold HAKs, which are two respective haks by themselves with their own instructions and installations.

And on top of those two, there's the path/override that we are using here.
Which I sort of installed. Installed meaning that I ended up making several copies of the files and slapping them all over the place hoping that they'd stick.
They didn't stick.

EDIT: For a lil more transparency, let me backtrack a little.
THIS LINK OVER HERE
Is installed easily. No problem with that. Patch to main folder, HAK to patch folder.

THAT ONE OVER THERE
I installed following the instructions of its own readme, which involved a matching game mostly.

THEN I SAW
And I assumed it was tagged as required for a reason, therefore I proceed to try to install that one too.

At none of the steps was there any change in the game between each time I closed and logged again. I was half-expecting to see my lizard thumbified, but that didn't happen. What am I screwing here?
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:13 am

You only need the one I provided. I completely ignored the Required Project when setting this up; that seems to be a link to the original, rather than an actual requirement.

I placed the wrong nwnpatch.ini inside of the archive, sorry that was my bad. I haven't had my coffee heh. You need to change "origheads" to "koboz" and make sure it saves. That should solve your problems. Also get rid of any other haks related to this, and make sure you copy/paste the appearance.2da lines provided in the readme to any appearance.2da's in your override folder.

EDIT: I updated the uploaded. Sorry folks :D

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:30 am

ALRIGHT!
And you are right. It's hilarious.

What if I don't have an Appearance.2da file? Just skip the step?
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Mayonnaise

Post by Mayonnaise » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:33 am

The only thing I've noticed is that space between the thighs top and pelvis. Good work!

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:48 am

Someday I want to learn how to texture/model, when that happens these will be the first things I come to, to fix the errors and alignments and see if it's possible to give the kobolds and gnolls more accurate textures for their equipment.
Iceborn wrote: What if I don't have an Appearance.2da file? Just skip the step?
Yup!

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:16 am

I did notice one game-crashing bug thus far.
If I polymorph, the camera just disconnects with the character and it crashed when I poly back.
OTHERWISE, except the problems I'm having to make it work on Flameborn's game (it keeps crashing), it seems to be working fine.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Flameborn

Post by Flameborn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:18 am

Tried everywhich way, game refuses to load.
"Never underestimate the enmity of those for which outrage is a sport."

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:34 am

What exactly happens, Iceborn, when you polymorph? Can you test to see if another Kobold polymorphing other than you causes this crash? Does polymorphing with a regular polymorph spell cause the same effect? I'm not sure what could cause that, maybe Mithreas knows more
Flameborn wrote:Tried everywhich way, game refuses to load.
How old of a computer are you running? Do you use any other overrides? How clean is your install?

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:40 am

It's not the computer. I think I figured the issue with Flame's crashing.
Dynamic monster model does not get along with female PCs.
I've always wondered why in other servers you couldn't be mechanically female and have the dynamic model - now I know why. It just doesn't work.

In my computer, the female model refuses to render entirely, but my own (male) character works perfectly. Except for the issue below.

And I'll elaborate more about the polymorphing in a while.
Last edited by Iceborn on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Flameborn

Post by Flameborn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:43 am

Yep, doesnt work on female kobolds. Made a test male, works fine.

Fix?
"Never underestimate the enmity of those for which outrage is a sport."

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:51 am

Now - about the polymorph. I haven't tried with the standard polymorph, but the druidic polymorph causes... this.

Model disappears. Camera freezes in the spot, and refuses to follow the character - but I still can control the character, curiously. And the game crashes as soon as I try to go out of polymorph, or if I try to transition, it never loads.
I have yet to test it with other kobolds.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:55 am

Female Kobolds are not loading correctly because there are no female models for the game to load. This is causing the crash; Iceborn, have you happened across any other female kobolds characters? Do they cause you to crash?

I'm going to have to figure out a solution for this; I've one in mind, luckily, but it'll be time consuming.

As for the polymorph issue, I've no idea how the command works. Hopefully Mith will have an idea, if he reads this.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:59 am

Did see a female. The model does not render at all - it's just a floating name, but otherwise it does not affect me.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:07 am

For testing purposes and anybody interested, I'll simplify the installing and uninstalling instructions. (Jedi, be a deary and slap these words up there)

The ONLY required download.
Installation:

1) Unzip.
2) Place Koboz.hak in your NWN/Patch folder (if you don't have one, create it) - it should look like this, though you may have other files.
3) Place nwnpatch.ini in your NWN root folder (You may have to overwrite it. If your NWN uses special instructions, just add the lines by hand) - It should look like this.
4) If you have an appearances.2da file in your override folder, read the readme for further instructions.
Done!

Uninstallation:
1) Open nwnpatch.ini, and replace "koboz" with "origheads". Alternatively, just delete the file.
2) Optionally, you can delete Koboz.hak that should be in the patch folder.
Done! I think? i'm not sure how it would affect appearances.2da if it was modified.

There.
Last edited by Iceborn on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:12 am

Added/fixed a few things. The correct .ini is now in the downloaded archive. I'll start the process tonight and hopefully have figured out how to enable female Kobolds. They will look exactly like male one's, for now. When I learn how to 3DSMax I'll give a custom female Kobold head a go.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:15 am

There. That should spare us some chaos. Now Imma go ingame for a while and play a Cyricist.
Because Irony.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide