A Toad at A Dive Bar.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

DSM-IV

A Toad at A Dive Bar.

Post by DSM-IV » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:24 pm

"We don't serve children in here!"

Shouts the old broken barkeep, bare belly hanging over burlap pants, sweat pouring down his bald head from constant suffocating humidity. His name doesn't really matter because he just one of so many of his kind. Got the gig from his father, who got the bar from his father, and so on and so on. Another typical lout who wipes mugs clean with a dirty rag, feet and back filled with arthritis from years of standing all night, and ends every morning by going upstairs to sleep on a torn up couch. Typical bar keep, typical dive bar. The one bum passed out in the corner, the two has been thugs now too old and grumpy at their table are he only company. Typical, quiet dive bar on the corner of some no name street nobody walks down, and that is exactly what the Hin wanted when he walked in.

"Did yah hear me? We don't serve kids here. Now scat yah dirty beggar!"

The hin was a dirty beggar. Small for even his races size, skin a pale sickly yellow from horrible malnutrition, dirt and street grim covering the skin that was exposed. Rags for clothes, big hairy hin feet, puppy dog blue eyes, and hair so crusty and matted you couldn't tell original color, length, nor have any hope to clean it. He wore a torn up trench coat looted off a decapitated human, the poor souls blood stained the back collar. The trench coat was his only real possession that mattered, and with so many patches and holes it was barely hanging on. He sauntered up to the bar, ignoring the barkeeps orders, hopped up onto a stool, and with his chin barely clearing the counter slapped a handful of coins upon it.

"I ant ah kid yah Slaad licka, I's a feckin Hin. An I got pletty of Jink. So pour me sumtin stiff an shat up an listen. I like talkin, and I like talkin a lot and me Jink gives me yah time alrigh?"

The hin spoke with a tongue so foreign and heavy the barkeep barely understood him. He had never heard any speak this way, and immediately knew this hin was very far from home. So, he didn't make a fuss and poured the hin a drink. He also didn't ask how a beggar looking like this could even be carrying around such loot, but as his father told him, and his father's father told him, you don't ask questions you just pour.

The Hin started talking and didn't stop, not for drink, not to piss, barely even to breath. The kid had a silver tongue for sure, a gift for gab, there was little doubt in that.

"I's a born a Hivah, and I know yah donna know wah tha hells tha is, but let me tell yah anyway. I come fram Tha Cage, Sigil: City of Doors. The center of the Multiverse, home to every kind of bein from every prime an plane yah evah heard of an many yah haven't. Demons, devils, beholdahs...feckin, Drow, teifers....it donna mattah, all of them. They walk tha streets goin abou thar lives just as yah and me. I an't gonna explain how tha peace is kept, but wah I am gonna say is this: Sigil is the centar of tha Multiverse, and Tha Hive is its shittah. Yah canna find nah vile shite stained place bar'in tha Abysse of course. I lived thar....I survived. I kept me head down, learned tah be funny, ah Tanar'ri much less likely tah rip yah arms off if yah can make'm laugh first.

Who knows how long I survived, cause time is screwy in Tha Cage, but I nevah got intah troubal or in anyone's way. I's damn proud of tha."

The Barkeep didn't understand a word of what the hin was saying, but just nodded anyway. Nodded, spit into a ale and wiped it out rag.

"I come har...tah this place. Its....paradise. Ah sky, tha air clean, rain tha donna burn. Hells, yah can drink watah outtah wells, far free, and its clean! An tha Nobs?!...huh...they dyin tah give yah thar fortunes. I make ah killin har...an I am. But, an thar always a but, nah? Thars always sumtin tha bites yah in tha Snuggybear just when thangs are startin tah look mighty fine.

I's a hin...a beggar...an I enjoy me life. I enjoy tha freedom. I just wanna be a hin, live life tah tha fullest. Sleep undah a sky I nevah seen befar, spend me jink on fine ladies when they will have me. Look, I undahstand yah gottah pay yah dues. Every city gottah boss, an I ant talkin abou no Nob mayor...or...king...or wahevah tha feck Nob pretend tah rule tha roost. Nah..nah..I talkin abou tha hard cuttahs on tha streets. The one who control tha street rats, and tha dead face killahs. Them bosses, they always take a cut, tha part of tha game. I's fine wit tha.

I's a beggah, yah can call me a rat, ah drain, lazy, I donna rellah give a shite, I's happy. Yeah, I admit...I con Nobs. I takes tha rich man's jink. But I donna hurt real peopal. I donna kill...I donna steal fram tha poor man, or crew, them tha rules. I's loyal as a mutt, an will make anyone laugh. Tha me....Toad."

The Barkeep finely spoke up, "Toad?" He was going to add something about Berk not being his name, but he got the feeling that it meant something other. Don't ask, just pour.

"Yah Berk, Toad. Me handle, me name, naugh shat up an let me finish. I been har 9 days, I think, I canna tell time too well. Nine feckin days, in them nine days, I's made more jink I evah seen. An I now in mare troubal then I evah been. I got so many fellahs tryin tah buy me to rat, I canna keep them straight. And the worse....the god damns straight tah Baator worse thang? I got a gal involved. Naugh in purpose mind yah, complete accident. She gonna get hurt, real bad hurt, if I donna play tha game righ."

Toad sighed deep, which led to a fit of coughing. The deep lung cough that pains just to watch. The Barkeep had seen this before. Cave lung his father use to call it. Miners got it from too many years digging in the earth. How this hin got it he had no idea. Toad pulls out a stained hanky and spit some black goo inside.

"I just wanna beg, make othas laugh, and poke gals. Now, I gottah pretend tah be some hard cuttah tha knows wah tha feck he's doin. How am I suppose tah make sure nobody dies cause of me, or worse loose thar soul?"
Not a Harper

DSM-IV

Re: A Toad at A Dive Bar.

Post by DSM-IV » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:28 pm

The Toad hopped up upon the stool.

"Same thing as yesterday there Mr. Toad, sir?" The barkeep poured the best whisky he had. The only whisky he had, and this was the only customer who ever ordered it.

"Yah," The little hin slapped his hand upon the counter. The kind of hand slap that only came from a man bearing good tidings. Depressed louts never slap the bar, they just slithered up to it and waved.

"I'll tell yah what thar berk, hellova city yah got har, hellova city." Continued Toad.

"Why do you say that sir? You seem in good spirits today."

"Well, I'll tells yah, farst of all: I met ah gal. A fine gal she be! In fact I might as say she be me if I was witou ah poker...and I boobs. Anyway, a fine fine girl. A girl a guy like me could fall in love with. Maybe, I donna know rellah. Nevah been in love. I mean donna get me wrong, I poked alottah chicks in my days. Mostly whores, an tha occasional scraps tha bar gots at closing time. BUT! Still...tha counts."

The barkeep cringed ever so slightly at the thought of that. Don't ask questions just pour.

"Well, this gal is fine. Best lookin gal I nevah had tah pay far. Sure she small like me, but tha alrigh. I's a leg man meself, but beggahs canna be choosars righ?! HAHA!" The hin slapped the counter again and took a tiny sip of whiskey. That is all he ever took, tiny sips. The barkeep knew if the hin drank any more he passed out quicker then a nun mistakenly showing up at an orgy.

"Well sir, you are in much better spirits then last week." Stated the barkeep.

"Ah! Ah I is, an I tell yah way thar Berk. Cause it time tah make ah play. I been spendin ah might lottah time gatherin friends. Yah see, a strong crew always got alottah enemies. It comes wit getting strong. Yah gottah bust yah way intah it, to get tha strang cuttah image. And them feckars yah bested, if still alive, be pissed as hell. So, wah do I do? I find ou who them fellahs are, and I make friends. Donnah get me wrong, I make friends wit everyone. I's a happy guy an enjoy meetin folks donna mattah wah or war yah from. Yah know I was good friends wit Beholda once. Good guy, was tha bouncar at Tha Butchars Block back in Tha Hive. Tha was tha local fightin pit. He let me in far free tah see them fights. Anyway, yah got no idea wah I talkin abou..."

In fact, he was right the barkeep didn't have any idea what he was talking about, but that wasn't new he never did.

"So, tah shortin thangs up, I gots enough powah backin me tah make me move. Hopefully it turn ou an nobody gets hurt, especially me, an especially me gal. But, especially me. Donna get me wrang, dyin donna scare me. I's been killed 4 or 6 times...issa me soul getting taken tha mattah. Tha is wah I scared of, cause yah soul can always be put back intah yah body. Tha is of course unless some feckar gets a hold of it an sends it tah tha Hells, or uses it assa toy. That...my friend is wah I scared of. But, yah gottah take chances every now an again. An...donna farget thar Berk. I's got ah tongue of diamond. It's gotten me outtah warse situations then this, let me tell yah."

The hin took another sip. A tiny amount of liquid passed over his tongue and down the beggars throat.

"Mmm! an I almast fargot! I's rubbin elbows wit tha Nobs I is!" Toad let out quite the girly giggle that made the barkeep raise an eyebrow, "Heavy shite. Wars, some berks named Banites, political backstabbins, oh its hilarious fun. I means I ant involved directly but me gal is, an I lovin every moment of it. Them Nobs play some con game I tell yah. Yah know, I am thinkin if I evah get tired of beggin an connin, I might just retire an move up tah runnin far some office. I think I fit in thar nicely wit me skills."

This brought a chuckle to the barkeep, "Aye sir, I think you would fit nicely," and he meant it.
Not a Harper

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:15 pm

The Toad sits quietly at the bar. His finger lazily running along the shadow of his whiskey tumbler. The dirty little beggar's finger slowly parting dust following the curvature of the shadow. The bar is completely silence, no glasses clinking, no wino's snoring, no old men mumbling, complete and total silence. All that matters in this instance of time as Toad's finger slowly, carefully, almost caresses the edge of the glasses shadow. When the finger is finishes, Toad pauses almost as if he doesn't want to pull it away, that he wishes there's more shadow to trace. With much reluctance and a touch of sadness he pulls his finger away, and the shadow of the glass is pulled with it, like a child's finger which has been stuck into mother's pancake batter. It tugs upon the finger then drips away but leaves enough to be tasted, and somehow, mother always knows when her child has had a taste.

"Much on your mind My Toad," The voice of the barkeep is clear and all around Toad. He listens and speaks while toying with mother's pancake batter.

"I am in love. There is no doubt in my mind. I want to care and keep her safe. But, I don't want to break her. Her spirit is strong and beautiful. She is bright and dangerous. I want to keep that alive an well. It is exciting. We are working together on many things. Plots, and schemes, teetering on the edge of danger. We have not done anything that would anger anyone, as of yet. But, that might change. A misstep, a betrayal, sheer dumb bad luck, and things could unravel quickly and deadly. But that is what makes it fun, exciting, and we do it together. I am not ready to settle down or become a father. I am not ready to grow old. I am young and alive and enjoying every minute of it, and I am enjoying it with her."

"Young love is a beautiful thing. It encompasses your entire body. Your soul, your every thought, your entire being filled with joy. It is much like the shadow you toy with at this moment. If you jump in you will see. It can encompass you, warm you, show you the love that your Sally gives you right now." The barkeeps voice slowly changes with each word, more seductive, more sexual, more exotic and tempting.

"It is odd, how I still feel in this land. Things so obvious to me are after thoughts to most. Where I am from, in Sigil, there are no good or bad. It is all chaos, one big jumbled mess, but even still, there is some resemblance of order. A neutral ground, where large atrocities are kept in check. We have murders, corruption, and nothing of morals, and horrors few understand but you know things will always be that way. No worse no better, we don't have genocides on a grand scale. Don't get me wrong, the Blood War has broken out in Sigil once, but one instance since the beginning of time is a pretty good track record. You could possibly count the poor in The Hive, but it is not the same. We have those who steal souls to sell them to others, but the shear numbers don't compare. Here you have hunting parties of people who supposedly serve noble gods go on raids to 'purify' races. Goblins, Giants, Lizardmen, Drow, cutting them down like wheat fields. They tell me they need to be hunted or they will get out of control. You mean the ones in control are doing any better? They justify their genocides as if they are performing a health service.

No, here there is false safety, a mirage, keeping the so called higher races a false sense of comfort. When in fact the very ground beneath them swells with rage ready to burst. The more I learn, no more I realize this place is no safer then Sigil. It is a paradise at face value, but just as dirty beneath."

All this time Toads finger has been toying with the glasses shadow, mother's pancake batter. He pauses, curious about what has been said. A realization. This is how he thinks, not how he sounds.

The Barkeeps voice interrupts, a voice full, perfectly neutral in tone, beautiful in its simplicity and lack of any gender cues, "You know My Toad. You are correct. This land is not safe. But, their is a place that is away from all the turmoil. A quiet place that is yours and yours alone. You have visited me already, and a piece of me returned with you. You have used me before without even realizing. Now, use me to protect yourself, to protect your loved ones. Use me my Toad."

Immediately as the barkeep's voice stops the shadow of the glass swallows Toad's finger, devouring it with a mouth that looks like it is behind black silk. Sucking his finger then his hand, then up to forearm and elbow. Toad sits and watches, not afraid, not jerking back. Something just feels right and he jumps in. His body sucked into the shadow of a mere tumbler glass.

Toad's eyes flick open to a street lamp buzzed by moths above, and cold cobblestone beneath him.

"I gottah stap eatin them damn animal onna stick specials!"
Not a Harper

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:50 pm

"Hello, My Toad. Back for another round are we?"

Only a tumbler glass upon a counter, void of any color, shades of grey, liquid darkness emits from the bottom till the tumbler is half full. Not just a dark liquid, but as if a small sliver of the void of space itself was let in.

"I am dreaming again," says Toad, "I know this, but feels real. I don't know who you are, or what this place is-"

"But you feel at home." The voice states.

"But I feel at home," Toad repeats, "Are you a Demon, Devil? Something different? I brought you back with me when I entered the Shadow Plane."

"Does it matter?" The voice answers, and the void inside the glass vibrates slightly, as if one shook the counter beneath. "You brought nothing with you my Toad, it was always here, it is everywhere. You merely, enlightened it to your possibilities. You...arrived. It has become curious."

"Sounds like something a fiend would say. Pfft...I made it curious. But this is a dream, right? I am just talking to myself-"

The voice interrupts, "No My Toad, you are not talking to yourself." A soft glow of red emits from the rim of the tumbler, "You have been very busy. Please, speak. Tell it your thoughts."

"Why? So you can use them against me? Probably doesn't matter. Alright, I will take the bait. Things are on edge. I am not really worried, it isn't in my nature. Just wondering what will happen. I am enjoying every minute of it, so close to falling, having everything fall to pieces. Like a completed puzzle at the edge of a table. You might error an push the puzzle off destroying many hours of work, but the unraveling and breaking in itself is beautiful."

"But will it My Toad? You are building quite the base, a foothold, a family, and you have done this in plain view yet no one seems to see. You are hiding in plain sight, and this is fascinating. You have the ability to use the shadows yet you do not. You choose to use...oddly...your tongue."

The hin lets out a short girly giggle, and absently raises the red rimmed tumbler to his lips. A slight tilt and the void blackness inside slides to his awaiting lips and into his mouth. Just a sip, followed by a swallow, and then a satisfying sigh.

"Ahh...nope. I can't work doing that too many are better. I can only use what I am blessed with a diamond tongue. I don't know what is going to happen, but I am not worried. I am a Hiver and will survive like I always have. But I think you might be right, the base, the foundation is coming along nicely."

"My Toad it enjoys these conversations. It awaits your return, but till then drink and relax. You have earned it."

"Nah...I thank you but that is enough. I am not sure who or even what this is, but yeah it is nice. I'd like to continue."

We see the small hin slide off a single bar stool at a bar counter no bigger then the width of his arms. The set up is alone in a massive hall. He stands walking away. His bare feet against cold marble floor. Only the counter is lit from some unseen light above, but you can feel the vastness of the room around it, like a priceless painting alone in the center chamber of a great museum. The hin walks into the darkness, and the light is covered in shadow of a figure. A figure with just a hint of red lips that are smiling, and then nothing but the dark void of light.

Toad opens his eyes looking up at the ceiling of a great hall the tops of massive marble support pillars seen in the grey shadows above. Flickering of lit torches just out of view give the only light.

"ello, home." The hin says.
Not a Harper

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:59 pm

Toad sits at the bar slowly swirling the black void inside his tumbler glass. This time he is not alone. He looks to the right the bar counter runs infinitely into the distance. He looks to his left again the counter runs off forever. A figure sits on either side of the hin. Wispy shadows floating on stools, each mimicking the hin's every move. He looks they look. He drinks they drink. He runs his hand through greasy hair, they run their hands through greasy hair. And, just like the counter, the shadows run forever each sitting at their own stool. Everywhere else is dark, light only softly illuminating the counter in front of each wispy apparition.

The voice comes like it always does sexless, toneless. Toad isn't even really sure if his ears hear it or the voice just emanates from inside his own head. It is a dream, right? So it just might be doing that. Just his own voice inside his own head.

"You have returned again My Toad. Again, drinking from the nectar of the void. What is on your mind My Toad?"

Toad pauses, he thinks what this place might actually be. If he truly is dreaming or not. How this could feel so real yet he knows it isn't, "You should already know. Why do you ask? You are just myself."

Toad could feel a snicker or a laugh, but could not actually hear it, "No, my Toad. You know that isn't correct. Perhaps it is time to admit that?"

"Maybe," He rubs his hands down his face, an eye catching all the wispy shadows doing the same, "are you this Mask god everyone is accusing me of following?"

"Is it? Come now My Toad you know better then that. You are...a Hiver...as you call it. You know names only give power. You know how these so called gods work."

"Yes I do, and I know how demons work as well. So maybe you are one of those." Toad's eyes delve deep into the void blackness of his tumbler glass.

"My Toad, it is what you wish for it to be. This is all a dream, right? Why use a name you know is given by foolish mortals that know so little? You know how things really are My Toad."

"They say you're the god of Lies, Thieves, and Conmen."

"All things you do so well My Toad, with that beautiful diamond tongue of yours. What did you tell them? No friends no enemies. The shadow shall protect? Yes?"

"Whatever you are I am being conned right now." Toad shakes his head, every wispy shadow does the same.

"My Toad, My Toad, you speak as if it is against you. That it wishes to use you like so many before. Quite the contrary, you came to it, perhaps mistakenly or not, used it. Now, you grow with it, and it grows with you. You have made quite a place for yourself, and now perhaps it is time to take another step?"

"I could turn my back on you. That's how this works, you feed on those who believe. Without that you are nothing." Toad adjusts slightly as if one who has sit just a little too long. All the shadows do the same in unison and exact.

"Are you not comfortable here? Do you not enjoy the time you spend here?"

"I do, and that is why I know I have been conned." Toad slides off the stool and all shadows do the same. He tosses back the Void liquid in the glass. It goes down smooth, feeling of skin against silk. He turns away and with his infinite army of shadows walks out of view into the darkness.

A mask appears upon the counter where Toad once sat. Its eyes, and moth tinged in red. It is smiling. :twisted:

"My Toad, it is always at your back."
Not a Harper

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:08 pm

The bar is hopping. Shadows fill the tables laughing and shouting in silence, more dancing to a piano being played but not heard. Whispery shadow belonging to unknown beings, or perhaps entities in themselves, shaking and grooving to a beat upon a dance floor that cannot be felt. It is obvious they are gay and jubilant in celebration. Toad sits upon a stool back to the bar watching the gala with a smile upon jet black lips. His face void of color, eyes deep black voids. He taps his bare feet to the unheard beat sipping his tumbler glass of wispy satin void.

"Why are they so happy?" Toad asks already knowing It is listening.

"My Toad has done very well. They are happy for what has been accomplished in little time. They believe a new era is budding."

The smile leaves the hin's face and he looks down into the tumbler. The satin like inkiness swirls and tumbles over its self as so many sailors witness at sea.

He finally speaks, "You have me in your web don't you? I have questions and suddenly people show up with the perfect answers. I wish for direction and A Guide appears. A perfect con."

"Is it conning you My Toad? It does not control you. It does not invade your mind. You are free to come and go from this place, yet you choose to keep returning. Do you wish to speak upon such things during such a fine event. Watch how they gather in glee," At that moment all the shadows float together upon the dance floor. They slither in and around each other in some black orgy found in nightmares of sun's, "you have become smitten? Tell me about this guide in the shadows?"

A half smile appears upon Toad's face, and he takes a large drink from the glass. The void ever so smooth upon his lips and mouth.

"Smitten? I guess, it is more wonderment. Something so powerful, dangerous beyond my understanding that is for sure, yet it shows interest in me. Not a use me for goals...maybe I don't know, perhaps the Guide merely wishes to use me as you might be doing. It could bring all I have done into ruins, yet I am so fascinating I am willing to risk it."

"The Guide would be a powerful alley, My Toad. If that is what The Guide really is for it also might be a serpent in disguise."

Toad turns on his stool, leaving the shadows behind them, "You could just tell me. Make it a hell of a lot easier."

"Is that why It is here, My Toad? What would you learn with easy answers? The Guide told you what you already knew, only needed to hear. Truth is more...poignant...when heard from a respected mouth. Perhaps it is time to face what you already know?"

Toad pauses looking ever more deeper into his glass. Then in perhaps a moment of realization, acceptance, or giving in he drinks fully from the glass. Its entire contents slipping smoothing inside of him.

"You got me. Now what?"

"Now, my Toad, let us see if this bud will bloom." :twisted:
Not a Harper

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:37 pm

The hin sits at the bar, but this time its on a stage. An enormous stage with a crowd filing back beyond the eye can see. This crowd, shadows, all with eerie glowing lips and eyes of red. The crowd is cheering, roaring. All on the edge of their seats pumping fists and screaming silent shouts toward the figure whose back is to Toad. Toad is just a mere spectator at a single barstool and before is a shadow, a shadow of a preacher. He can tell just by the figures gyrations, its mannerisms. Its finger points up in the air, opposite hand upon a blacken book. The Book's cover a Mask face tinged in red. The preaching shadow paces upon the stage, screaming and motioning wildly to emphasis points, again merely motions as all is silence. A show stopping event any evangelical would be proud of. Then everything freezes as if the entire body of shadows became aware of Toad's presence. They stop and each pair of tiny red eyes falls upon the hin at the bar. Their master upon the stage slowly turns to face Toad, the same red tinged mask face upon the book now greets him. The Mask smiles.

"Hello my Toad."

The hin is not afraid, but amused he has chosen to be here after all, "So this some kind of show? You finally conned me into joining the flock?"

"My Toad, this is your dream. This show as you call it is a little...uncharacteristic for my taste. These," The evangelic Mask motions with a wispy shadowed hand to the crowd," are yours. I am merely entertaining them in your world."

"Mine? You have given me these?"

The Mask laughs, a slightly haunting whispering chuckle, "No, no My Toad, these have always been yours. You...just haven't realized how to use them."

"Wait, all of these are mine?" Toad's eyes widen slightly looking to The Mask in disbelief.

"My Toad, your potential to control them has barely been tapped. They are yours, but they merely sit waiting for you. But let us speak of different things. You came to talk, speak My Toad."

The hin chews on his lower lip in thought as unnumbered pairs of tiny red eyes are frozen upon him, "The conning, the games, they grow easy, too easy. I sit and watch amateurs flop around like dying fish. My family has fingers in every pie. I have enough coin to lay on the beach somewhere and never work again. I grow...soft. My edge is dulling. So many years spent in the Hive sharpen like a razor. But now..."

"Now your powers grow and swell. The razor is not needed?" In front of Toad The Mask paces slowly paces across the stage hands behind his back.

"Maybe, I don't know. I just feel I need something more. Something greater now..."

"More fulfilling?" The Mask finishes.

"Yeah, more fulfilling."

"Many things can fulfill as we grow. Ones career, ones knowledge....ones...family?" A hint of a smile upon red lips.

"Yeah, family...maybe that is it. I need more of a family."

"Bringing more to the family can be very fulfilling My Toad." :twisted:
Not a Harper

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:10 am

The Toad sits upon his bar stool. He sips slowly from a glass tumbler filled with his usual, that shadowy void. He sits arms crossed upon not at a bar counter, but a massive dining table. His eyes nothing but pitch black upon a grey face, looking out in silence at a massive map. The map taking up the entire table, while shadows of great generals from countless worlds bicker and argue in silence which each other. Toad just watches with a hint of a smile upon void dark lips, lips that take a moment to let the tumbler touch and pass that soothing shadow liquid pass them.

"You have grown into a powerful man My Toad." That sexless voice again, was it a demon, was it Mask himself, or was it merely Toad's own ambition manifesting in his dream. At this point does it even really matter?

"I also have become a target. Your Priest is dead. The one that opened my eyes to you. Now, my family looks to me for leadership. For direction. Me...some rat Hiver who was starving on the streets not long ago." Toad takes a long drink shaking his head slowly.

"But this is no longer Sigil, you are free of The Cage. And oh how that freedom has made you blossom! You rub elbows with the greatest powers upon this island. The real powers, names only whispered in the shadows you live. Names spoken in respect, reverence, and above all in fear."

The hin's thousand yard stare fixates upon the table as the Shadows point at each other with black fingers, mimicking yelling that will never be heard, "Yeah, some two bit con man being used by Demons, and Devils. Beings who could destroy everything I have worked for with a few words. Sure...dealing with them shows we are useful, protects us from the most deadly. But, only till we screw up, till I screw up. Maybe I am protecting my family...maybe...but at what cost? My soul?"

"My Toad you already know where your soul lies. Why worry? You are one with the Shadow now. Your connection is strong, growing more powerful with each passing day. No god can take you away now. So why do you worry?"

Toad shrugs slowly.

"Do you worry for your family? Do you worry for those innocents whose lives you have destroyed?"

Toad rolls his eyes, "There aren't any innocents here. The people we have destroyed, more then earned it."

"Then My Toad, what do you worry about?"

"I worry it'll end, and I am having too much fun." :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Not a Harper

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Fri May 08, 2015 11:55 pm

"My Toad it is a long time since we spoke."

"Forgive me, I have been too busy with our empire."

"Yet you're not satisfied. Your enemies are broken and reeling, you're are a king. Your family rules from the darkness."

"I sit on my corner watching the pawns I con walk by with no idea the truth. I want to scream at them. Shout that it was me. It was me you fools! I am the man behind the Mask that pulled the strings. Give me credit good or ill! That useless beggar who needs a job. That tiny sickly hin whose a drain. A fool, a goof. Yeah, me! I am the one! I am the one you son's of a bitches! I am the one who brought this city to its knees. Brought it under our rule!"

"You wish for respect from those that will never understand. That is not who we are. The Shadow does not ask for attention from the Sun. The stars in the sky know nothing of the dawn. Those in power know of you. They respect you. They have understood the con you have pulled off. They will be careful to ever cross you. Why must you have the respect of the masses? They are beneath you."

"I have survived my entire life playing the fool. The clown to be laughed at an forgotten. Now...now finally I have found power. I didn't find it...I took it. I took it my way. Without a single drop of blood. I conned my way to the top. But, my enemies flail blindly at innocents in hopes they will connect any kind of blow. They don't fear me, they don't even understand who they are fighting. They still blame others. I want to shout it to their faces. Its me you fools! Its me! And in this game you pikars weapons are useless."

"You are a being of Shadow yet you want to be in the light? A light that will extinguish you? This is not you My Toad. This is not the calculating Shadow. You are being foolish My Toad. You are doing exactly what those you detest do. Scream for attention. The Shadow does not wish for the light My Toad. You must veer from this path. This one will only bring ruin to all you have built. You are not a child. You do not need attention. Enjoy the idea that the truth is yours. You know the secrets. Be content with that knowledge."

"What is the point if you know all yet tell no one? I have respect of the powerful yet they don't tell anyone."

"Your strength is in the confusion My Toad. The confusion that is brought to others when they are in the dark. You understand this, yet forgotten because your mind is overcome with so much. Speak to your allies before you do anything rash My Toad. This is the way."

"Perhaps...or perhaps I just need to take more. Or..."

The Shadowy form with the face of a Mask adorned with blood eyes and lips has a smile across its lips. "Or?"

"Or I pull the con of all cons. Mask all in darkness accepting it as the light. :twisted: "
Not a Harper

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Wed May 13, 2015 7:03 pm

The little beggar sits upon a throne of iron etched with ruins long forgotten. It floats aimlessly in a sea of darkness likened to the bottom of the ocean. He sits there eyes solid void black tiny fists gripped lightly into the arms of the chair. A king in a sea of nothingness.

The Mask speaks, the voice in his mind? The god he now follows? The voice is all around him every part of the sea of darkness.

"Do you not think she is a distraction My Toad? You are a king, pulling strings from the darkness. Yet you keep trying to shine light upon yourself. As you would say, you are getting sloppy. Enemies are learning of your involvement. Much attention is beginning to fall upon you. Your people, your allies, are being butchered one by one. Yet your mind is only filled with her. An empire in its infancy that will die before it truly takes form. Is this what you wish for?"

Toad grinds teeth, chewing nothing. His dark gaze lost in the surrounding fog of black, "I do not need you to tell me what is at stake here. These people who call themselves good, and wholesome. Who follow gods who claim they are just...hypocrites. Petty little children on the school yard. Crowds shouting insults at one who is perceived weak. They toss out their own laws murdering those who do not agree. Murdering others in their own beds like savages. Their lack of professionalism is sickening. An assassin takes pride in their work. They strike only what they need an get out without being seen. What they did was brutal beating and decapitation. What just god agrees to this? They call us dark, they call us monsters, yet they will fall to depths of depravity only seen in the Abyss at a moments notice."

"You hate those who would use the light to justify crimes only seen by those in the dark? Do you forget your own words? The multiverse is a muddy grey? Where you foolish enough to think they would play by their own rules? Do you not see what she is doing to your edge? To your mind? "

"Enough!" Snarls Toad, "If I am a king do I not deserve a queen?"

"Forgive me My Toad, of course you do. But, is she not one of them? Is she not a soaring falcon high above all. Looking down upon the peons and the filth below?" The surrounding darkness takes on a moving living quality to it. It slowly swirls and turns in upon its self.

"She is above all this, yes. But, she does not judge. She questions. She is an angel looking down upon these horrors with confusion. She looks upon me not with hatred and disgust at the mere sight, like those who scream about fairness and charity yet toss it away when it gets difficult. She does not look at me in fear for what I am and can do. Her beautiful eyes are only filled with simple curiosity. Curiosity and...something else...something so foreign and odd to me. Something lacking in every single damn dealing wit any person I have on this island-"

He is interrupted by the voice, "You do not know this My Tick. Do not say it My Toad, please. The con of love is mastered by the woman. You know I speak truth. She could be that Succubus you fear, that rat who covers itself in beauty just to get what it needed from you. Will you fall for the con fallen by so many men before you?"

"Trust! Do you hear me?!" The hin shouts at the darkness, "Those eyes trust me for no reason at all. Something I have never seen nor experienced. She does not naturally withdrawal with hand upon her purse. She does not speak in riddles trying to get me to expose myself. She does not con others to follow me in hopes to catch something I have done. She trust for no other reason then because that is all she knows."

"Does she Toad!? Does she? The Succubus can show you anything they wish. They feast upon your heart with eyes you're lost in. Feast upon your very soul while you beg for more. You cannot know what is behind those eyes My Toad. You will never know. At least with Shenn you knew what you had, before those like your new beauty took her away."

The void darkness in his eyes pours out down his face. It is replaced with deep fire of anger, "Do not speak of Shenn. She was victim of desperate fools. Casualty of war."

"Yet those responsible are the very ones who mock you openly. The ones who have taken away your only love. Who took away....your father."

"Marcello was not my father. He brought me to you that is correct..."

A large face of The Mask with eyes of red and lips the same parts through the inky darkness. The mask twice the size of the tiny Halfling, "He showed you to me. He showed you who you could become, and they took him away from you. Just like they took Shenn away-"

With that Toad motions with a hand. The ocean of darkness and the face of Mask immediately fade away. He sits on the corner of a busy street corner in Cordor. Beat up tin can in hand with two coins inside. A passerby mindlessly tosses another in.

A hidden voice whispers in his ear,"They will take your forest princess away too." :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Not a Harper

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:53 pm

A shadow sits at a table with a tumbler glass filled with void darkness. A face wearing a drama Mask. Red eyes filled with fire aimed across the small cave. There are two forms, a strikingly beautiful druidess with long flowing hair the color of sunsets. Her very aura seemingly bright and lush, a forest after a spring rain. She sleeps soundly, slow breaths whispering through lush lips, arms wrapped around a small hin, Toad. The Halfling curled up tight in a fetal position, dead silent no noticeable breathing. His body slowly drawing the shadows of a the room to him. They creep and crawl about the floor, like insects in the night to a left out sugar cookie, until they join with another. Forming a swirling whirlpool around the hin that is being absorbed directly into his form. Both figures lay in a large bed of pillows and down, but it is clear Kalika's inner light is no match for the shadow being that lays beside her.

A whispery shadow the form of Toad joins the figure sitting at the table. It grabs the tumbler and takes a sip of the void inside. Then the Mask speaks,

"Watch how they are drawn to you My Toad. It is...beyond your control now. They need you My Toad. You pass in between my world and this prime within your dreams now My Toad. Your connection with us is so strong, almost complete. Your power over them even beyond what I had hoped. Yet..."

The Mask pauses its red fire eyes never leaving the sleeping couple. It slowly stands sauntering towards the couple not being heard because it is hard to say this is even real. Toad's shadow, or perhaps its Toad himself or perhaps there is no difference, lazily watches the Mask slumped in his chair.

The Mask continues in that dry sexless voice, "You continually are distracted by this useless child," The Mask reaches the couple and clawed hand lowers to Kalika. A talon, black with neither reflection or true substance, slowly runs up the druid's calf behind her knee and along the outside of her milky thigh. "A child who we could suffocate out of existence this very moment with a motion of your hand. Choke the very light out of her. End her naïve prodding and distractions...or perhaps even extinguish this infernal aura and truly bring her under our hold. Make her a queen truly worthy of a King of Shadows."

Toad, slowly draining the tumbler glass as the words are spoken, finishes and sets the tumbler upon the table, "Our? Or yours? It has been a long time since we spoke, you and I. There is a reason for that."

"Her."

Toad continues slouched at his chair like a teenager at a desk, "Yes."

The claw of The Mask reaches the bottom of Kalika's nighty made of woven leaves with great care. Without hesitation the claw tears through the nighty slicing it completely in half with little effort. It slides off her naked white skin, she moans slightly in her sleep. At that moment the swirling vortex circling the bed takes form of a thick dark blanket, that is pulled by unseen hands over Kalika's exposed body. She stirs a little snuggling herself closer to the sleepy shadow kin next her. The Mask's head whips around as Shadow Toad speaks motion with his tiny fingers controlling the shadows to cover his mate.

"Your...frustration is understood," Shadow Toad begins. While he speaks the Mask turns back and runs a single Talon slowly along Kalika's jaw line causing her to emit a soft fear full moan, "Yes, she has distracted me. My plans, perhaps our plans, for a Shadow Cordor have taken a misstep. My families grip on this prime slipped. War has broken out that if I truly wanted to end quickly I probably could. So many strings in the darkness lay limp because I am distracted by the love I have for this woman."

The Mask continues to run its talon down her jawline, to her neck over a beating pulse running up her neck, "Child, she is a child. Do not forget that. Stumbling about, toying with powers she has little understandings of. She treats you like a child that she is, wiggling her finger like a mother. She is rash and incompetent not thinking before her moves. Placing both herself and you in danger. How many more times must you cover for her incompetence. For her stupidity? Till it costs you your kingdom? Hmm?...Till it costs you your soul?"

The Mask stops its talon directly over the pulsing artery running up the side of Kalika's neck. The tip digging in slightly just enough not to break the skin. It stops there, waiting. A good amount of time passes before the Shadow Toad speaks.

"No..."shaking his head, "No, where you see incompetence I see life. I see a heart filled with hope, and raw emotion. Trying its best to do what she feels is right. Mistakes are made, but I have made so many more. No, you only see what you do because she is not one of us. I see.." The Mask again turns its head looking at Shadow Toad, "a young woman who loves me for what I am. Something you probably have little understanding of. May power with shadows grows every day. I can feel it. My body sleeps yet I spend my nights watching it. There will come a point where my physical form and the very shadow itself will be one and the same. I know this. And, when that does happen, I will still love this woman as I do now."

Shadow Toad waves his hand and the Mask shadow evaporates. The shadows of the room slink back to their proper positions and the glass upon the table disappears into a foggy darkness. The Shadow Toad rises and hovers towards Kalika. He bends and covers both the bodies with a near by down stuffed blanket. Then takes a moment to watch both embraced in sleep. A small smile upon the druidess lips as if the nightmare was now over and she could sleep in peace. Shadow Toad smiles as well, and lays down on the other side of Kalika. The Druidess aura now bright and filled with life. Shadow Toad closes his eyes and lets the light engulf him as he wraps an arm around her waist. The light covers and wraps around the Shadow Toad and he disappears inside of it.
Not a Harper

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:43 am

"My dear Toad, you should be proud of yourself. I never doubted you. It is why you were chosen. For your drive, your wit, your ability to use the best of every situation. Your power and influence grows as each night extinguishes the day."

"I have heard power once gained is not what you think it would be. Well, whoever 'they' are are wrong. Power is what I always thought it would be. Here I am, a little beggar who picked himself up off the streets of the Hive. Who escaped the The Cage. Who grabbed opportunity by the throat and choked out everything he could get. A king of shadow! I am proud. Gods what a ride!"

"Congratulate yourself My Toad. Be proud of all you have accomplished."

"I am! I got an army. I got a city. I got a beautiful woman who loves me! I have power. I am special."

"Look at you Toad. Look how special you truly are."

"That is right! Look at me! I am special! You have to look at me! You have to say I am special."

Toad's body a wispy form of itself, more shadow then anything physical, sits upon a throne of onyx floating in a sea of blackened fog. The tiny "hin" lost in swirling vortex of impenetrable shadows.

"Tell me I am special!"

"You are special. You are a king in your own right. A master of your domain. A con man of all con men. No mortal can see you unless you wish it."

"I know all the secrets! And I am wanted!"

"You know all the secrets, My Toad, and you are desperately needed."

"I crave the attention and I will get it. No more ignoring the little beggar. No more giving me no mind. Just a fool. A filthy street rat to be ignored by the passing Nob! I have a seat at the table of the most powerful. I pull the strings from darkness and all now know it."

"Oh My Toad, how you have darkened the isle. How even those in the light do not realize how dark they have become."

"Then why do I still feel so...empty?"

The Mask in the shadow, for once, does not or perhaps cannot reply.
Not a Harper

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:55 pm

A conversation had over a mortal hin floating lifeless in the Void of the Shadowfell. Two immortal beings, one who calls the plane of shadows its home the other calls it its prison, they argue upon the fate of Toad.

"Abyssal filth, you have taken what was rightly mine. The mortal follows my calling. It is one of my herd, and he has done well. Why should I allow for him to be used by the likes of you?"

"The flesh box freely gave himself to the Shadowfell. I found him adrift there then it is rightly mine. You lost your claim upon its soul once it left the material plane."

"You know nothing of my claims prisoner. Nor my plans, nor the extent of my power here. I shall toss you back into the pit you came from. Curse you to live out your time as a simple Mane for eternity."

"Then I humbly ask a parlay. Let me present a deal, a contract that would fit your needs quite well."

"You speak as the Devils would Demon. Continue, my patience grows short."

"The memories inside his are now mine. I know what he knows. Such a pitiful being, wallowing inside its own sorrow-"

"Get too it maggot."

"You need him back to his former strength. He is useless like this. Broken former shell of himself. His sorrow is perfect for me to feast upon, yet does nothing for you. Give me just a moment to use his form for my purposes, and in return I pledge to return him to his former glory."

"Demon, I dare say not the Nightsinger herself has that kind of power. Mortals minds are easily toyed with, easily molded, but once they are broken only they can pull themselves out of wallowing like a preteen. Why would I believe for an instant you would be able?"

"Preteen?...Does not matter. His alleys will come. I have read his memories. He is beloved by many. The hin used by so many. Ironic a being of shadow beloved by many a mortal if they receive something from it. Mortals so easily fear those touched by the Shadowfell do they not yet if they can get something from it, it does not seem to matter. I digress...No wonder he is so special to you, either way, I will pull him back to the material plane. The Mortals will learn he has returned, and will try to save what they perceived was lost. He was used by so many! Soon, I will allow them to learn of my presence. I shall feast upon the sorrow, the anger, and pain of those I come into contact with. Those who have betrayed him, who have used him, will realize the mistake they made, and I will feast upon their sorrow as well."

"This does nothing for my Toad, or for me. I have had enough."

"No! Wait wait...let me get to the completion of my plan. You will see the brilliance of it in but a moment. The mortal Toad will know of what I do, see the sorrow and hurt I am causing to those he once felt for. I know his mind, he will not be able to sit back. He will fight. He will try to stop what I do. This is what will bring him out of his wallowing."

"Those he cared for turned on him. Why would he care to do such a thing?"

"Because, my new Lord, the one central core of his being will be put into question. Loyalty to Family."

"HIs loyalty to his crew. Against my better judgement, I have to admit you may be correct. It is that quality even I had to respect."

"He will not be able to wallow knowing his loyalty is questioned. Knowing he may be a 'Rat' as he would call it."

"I will allow it, but know I am watching. Your leash is short, and you shall be yanked back at any moment. Is that understood? You have a new master...for now."

"Thank you My Lord."
Not a Harper

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:28 am

"I beg and whimper like a starving dog as his cruel master beats him to death. A cowered to the very end. The stench of years of mildew assaults my nose. Hands bound head down, looking upon armored feet. Those feet, and the feet behind belong to faces that smile in glee for revenge will soon be satisfied. My voice was too loud now will be forever squashed. The blade is coming as all sound is sucked out of the dungeon cell. Feeling of warm urine running down my leg, snot joining spittle and tears dropping from my chin wet the musty cobblestone floor. The one with the sword's ego truly engorged, truly stuffed like a gluttonous fat man whose life only has meaning through that next bite, because it has complete utter control over another living being. I have never felt such complete violation then at this very moment."

"And you are surprised my Toad? You put your faith in those you detest, and you are surprised at the outcome?"

"My soul casted out into this place. This Void of darkness, it is so...empty. Nothing like the shadow that envelopes me in life."

"You have not spoken to me in some time My Toad. You ignored who you are, ignored what you are. Now, in death, you return. Perhaps now you have truly learned what it means to be one with the Shadow? Or is it something else? Why now have you returned to speak to me?"

"I am embarrassed. Ashamed, for my stupidity. For putting faith in those who said they stood for something. I was labeled evil by those who were too stupid to understand. Too ignorant to the things that unfolded around them. I was told to put faith in meaningless laws. Laws that meant nothing, for it was purely revenge that ended my life. The lawman hides their anger, their wounded pride, behind laws that they break whenever they wish. And I...I deserve my fate, to have my soul wander endlessly for thinking logic an reason would win over, revenge, and pride. I have lost."

"You come to me now? To whine about things you have known since you could walk? This is not My Toad. Not the Toad I watched take over the fools. Con their cities from beneath their feet. Pull the strings from shadows. They called you the most dangerous hin on the isle. How dangerous you now are loathing in self pity. You disgust me."

"I have lost. I was a coward. Too scared to draw blood. To take control. To fight on my terms. I feared what would become of my soul. I feared what others thought of me. That fear made me fight on their terms. With their laws."

"You miserable wretch. You return to me on your knees, like a slave begging for less of the whip. You turned your back upon the very thing you are! You let yourself be used by the simpleminded for their own personal satisfaction. You let the light blind all."

"I have failed. I have forgotten who and what I am. I had the secrets in the darkness, yet I let some...moral idea of what is right and wrong skew my judgement. I could have let real evil engulf the city and used that to take control. To let Shadow roam freely, yet I worried if I was evil, warned them instead-"

"Good...Evil? How can you even speak to me about such useless words. Words with no meaning. An imagined useless construct fed to mortals so they can live their lives in peaceful ignorance. You are truly lost to even utter those words in my presence. I will not have you in my realm. In fact...perhaps a punishment is in order. Yes...a lesson that will remind you what it means to be one with the Shadow. You are being called to return Toad, and I shall allow it. But, remember this you are not nor ever will be a being of light. You are shadow. I care not for what my Shadow's do, as long as they keep to what they are. Perhaps this will become more clear as you serve your penance. You think you are evil? I shall show you true evil."
Not a Harper

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:39 pm

"This isn't a punishment. You are prying my eyes open to a path that I had swayed from. Reminding me of my true self."

"My Toad, I provide for you what is needed. Guide you when you have lost your way."

"Well...I have witnessed evil, true evil, in the past. I had forgotten until spending time in this place. Is it much different then what happens in Cordor under the guide of light? No. Then what is evil? Does it even exist?"

"We see all that happens, you too will see all. The shadow is forever dancing with the light in a beautiful waltz that will never stop till the end of existence. My Toad understands this. Evil, Good, means nothing to the shadow. "

"Then all I have done has led me to this one moment. To understand that Good Evil mean nothing, there is only the dance of light and dark. I am a creature of shadow, I do not oppose the light, I dance with it."

"It pleases me to no end my Toad. You have become aware of what you are, and now it is time to caste away your mortal shell. Something you have realized for quite awhile yet clung to it like the slave collar embedded into your flesh. That is the final lesson, that is why The Shadow allowed for you to become enslaved. You needed to understand how your mortal flesh clung to you. How it was like a collar keeping you to its master."

"Master being life, where as I am a shadow."

"That is correct My Toad."

"I am afraid."

"The last remains of your mortal being. Fear is merely an emotion. One to be fed upon if so choose. Nothing more, nothing less."

"But what I have done, what I will do, I leave it all behind."

"Does that truly mean anything to you? The mortal pleasures of the flesh? One's legacy left upon a tiny fraction of the multiverse?"

"It was only a story, a preparation for what is to become."

"That is correct My Toad. You join my hand leaving behind very little to gain infinitely more."

"I leave you Toad."

A small naked hin, body pale as snow, walking hand in hand with a Shadow Lord. They walk together the hin's body slowly blowing away in small flakes, exposing that of a small shadow beneath. The two beings enter into a fog of darkness to finally join with the infinite Shadowfell forever.

The hin known as Toad is forever gone upon the face of Arelith. His deeds shaped a small portion of it's history only to be forgotten. He now is a being truly of shadow, and his essence, his spirit forever watching from the shadows.

The End.
Not a Harper

PEST CONTROL

Post by PEST CONTROL » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Or Is it?

"Dad?"

"Yes son?"

"Why is it so dark?"

"Because you are dreaming."

"But, it feels real."

"Because it is. We are in The Shadow."

"Am I dead?"

"No son, you are closer to me now than ever in your life."

"But, you're dead."

"No son, I am with the Shadow."

"Oh...then why am I here?"

"So, I can finally speak to you. For the very first time!"

"Great! Wait, I don't even know you. How do I know you are even real? Or that you're even my dad?"

"Because I brought you here?"

"Oh, alright that makes sense."

"...*sighs* My son is an idiot."

"What?"

"Nothing! Now wake up!"

We see a dirty little hin, face upon cold cobblestone, suddenly awaken. Dressed in rags, and covered in filth, Tick rubs his eyes to clear his head. Slicked black hair and beautiful pair of dark brown eyes beneath a dirt smudged face. A young man short for his species, and a spitting image of his father. A father who he never knew because his mother left Cordor with a swollen belly. The story of his father Toad ended many years ago, but Tick's is just beginning.

PEST CONTROL

Post by PEST CONTROL » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:35 pm

"I'm back here again? Dad? You there?"

"Yes son. I will always be here, forever."

"Why am I here?"

"I am not sure. There is only the time I speak with you. Other than this there is nothing."

"This is nuts."

"I would have to agree."

"Dad, Mom said so little about you. To never ask about you. She only said you were taken by The Shadow. That she had to flee from you."

"And she was correct? The memory of what I was before here is far away. What I do know is you are my son, and or connection allows me to speak to you. Perhaps that is all that matters? I would love the chance to get to know you, son. I am not sure how long this will last."

"Well, I feel we are connected, too. Mom, doesn't know I am here. I said I left to find myself. Really, I wanted to learn more about you. I felt drawn to the island."

"I remember very little of your mother, but I bet she had her reasons to keep you from here. This place, this island is dangerous in ways that cannot be understood until you get here. Until you live it, understand it. How this island is..."

"What do you mean? Is it these armies of nutter adventurers, who seem to care little to nothing about their own and other's lives? Or how money has no value? I have been here for a week, and the people around her are completely insane."

"It is not them, son. It's the Island. The Island amplifies your inner desires. Gives you will power to do things you would never do anywhere else."

"Why?"

"I guess that is the question isn't it? A place where death is almost meaningless, yet so many just give up. Is this a lesson from the gods? Is it creatures beyond us recruiting for purposes beyond our understanding? I don't know son. All I do know is I have been given a chance to speak to you, and I am very thankful for that."

"I am too Dad. Not sure of my purpose is yet, but hopefully I can figure it out and not lose myself."

PEST CONTROL

Post by PEST CONTROL » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:01 pm

"So, I have questions, well some are mine and some are from a friend of mine."

"I bet you do."

"Right...so first of all, I told my friend all about you. She thinks I should get some proof that you are my father, and you aren't some kind of demon that has possessed me. You know answer something only you should know."

"Right, well we don't know each other so that is going to be difficult. I only speak when you are here. There is no time in between. I shall try my best."

"Yeah, I guess you're right. That makes sense. Well, you just said there is no time in between. What happen before? Before you came to whatever place you are now?"

"I gave myself up to The Shadow. I was tired. Tired of fighting."

"Tired of fighting The Shadow?"

"Tired of fighting everything. The Shadow was an escape. The pain of living I had enough of, and gave up. Allowing The Shadow to finally consume what I was."

"Why? Mom said you were turning evil."

"It is hard to see what is good and evil when everything is dark. Hmm...funny how these memories seem to return as you ask the question. Good, Bad, it didn't matter, what mattered was the Game. The Information Game. I was the best. I knew every angle, every one's secret was mine. I used those to manipulate and get what I wanted. I hurt a lot of people. Then I met a woman, a human woman. She tried to pull me out of the Shadows, give me a path to redemption. And, a Monk too. The Monk who could never stay out of things. They tried to help, but my guilt was too strong. I wallowed in self-pity, ended up a slave in the Underdark, then I finally just let it all go. "

"That is actually kind of sad. So, you were powerful?"

"Yes, information is a powerful currency of this island. It is wanted by all. How I manipulated that information is what made me powerful. A kingdom in the shadows, and still it was not enough."

"Are you sad?"

"The Shadow is a reflection. There is no me to reflect anymore. I understand what sad is, but the feeling is gone."

"I don't think you are a demon. A demon would be angry, although I have never met one. Speaking to you is what speaking into a mirror would feel like if it spoke back. I am not totally sure you aren't just in my head."

"Perhaps, yes. This I cannot answer."

"That isn't very helpful. My friend wants to know why the island is so dangerous. I had a hard time explaining. She also wanted me to ask why Paladins are so dangerous."

"Your friend seems wise. I would keep her close. Paladins', Banites', Underdarkers' everyone, they do not matter what matters is how you react to them. The danger is how you are changed, by the trials and events of the Island, or if you let them change you at all."

"That doesn't make any sense. Mum always talked about how the Nobles will always step on you to get ahead. How humans will destroy you with their causes if you let them."

"That may be true elsewhere, but here you only die when you are ready. You could kill the same Banite, or Paladin every day for years, and you would still see them the very next day until they decide to give up. This toys with your mind. Alters how you see things in ways I cannot explain until you experience it yourself. How you deal with this is what is important. Forget about Nobles or humans. The words are meaningless, because death is meaningless."

"Why? I don't understand."

"Go, experience more of the Island, and perhaps you will begin to see."

PEST CONTROL

Post by PEST CONTROL » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:35 am

"Hey, Dad. It's been a while."

"Has it? I would not know. You have been busy?"

"Oh yeah, The Begging Game dried up quickly. Everyone thought I was striking it rich and stopped giving. So, I had to find a job."

"So, what did you do with the coin?"

"I gave it away. Mostly to those who needed it much more than I. I have no regrets for tricking Nobs out of their coin. None at all. Makes me feel good knowing rich people's coin is going to some poor sod at the docks, or some food pantry. Heck, I even donated a bunch to Burrowhome."

"Burrowhome, that name brings back found memories. One of the only places where I was treated with respect."

"Yeah, that is where I got my job. I joined the Hawk'n. Not sure what made me do it. Free food, free bed, and all this just to travel the roads, and watch people come and go in town."

"It's a little more than that my son. In fact a lot more."

"Maybe, maybe I am just not very good at it then. I like it though. I like it a lot. Burrowhome reminds me of where I grew up, except I have friends here, and mom isn't around nagging me all the time."

"Friends? You didn't grow up with friends?"

"Not really. I was picked on a lot for being smaller, for being scared all the time, for wetting myself. I was...well am pretty goofy looking. Mom said I look a lot like you."

"Well that was nice of her. But, you look nothing like me, because you see, The Bone Witch took my face. For many years I was monster to look at."

"Oh, that sounds horrible. I'm sorry."

"Son, when you play with darkness these things happen. Learn from it. I should also let you know, I found love twice, and you can and will too. Tell me more of your friends?"

"Well, there is Nix, she is an elf guard I met who shook me down for coin as a beggar, but we are friends now. Then Punto, a Kin whose past is really sad. He is really great, but really weird. There is also Maraphina, she is probably my best friend. She is really nice and is always asking about you. She is a priestess!"

"Friends are important. Keep them close. The one's who don't try and use you."

"What do you mean use me?"

"Tick, as you grow and learn not all people mean you well. Even the ones who call you friends or lover."

"Oh, but how do you know? I have never had a lover or friends till I got here."

"Well, it depends on how they treat you. I think. I actually wasn't very good at that either."

"I would do anything for my friends. I don't want to lose them. Being alone here would just be too horrible. Sure, my friends are a little mean, and make me feel bad...a lot. Make fun of me because I wet myself when I get scared. Mock me about girls. Maybe that is why I like Maraphina the best. She doesn't do that. But, I know Punto, and Nix would have my back if something bad happen."

"I wish I had better words to help. The people I would consider friends were quite evil, and those who tried to help I pushed away. But, I will say this, be careful of those who toy in darkness Tick. The Shadow clings to it, attracted to it, the stronger the emotions the stronger the pull. Being around others who are filled with hate, rage, anger, can spread to you."

"I guess."

PEST CONTROL

Post by PEST CONTROL » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:55 pm

"So Dad? I have a little problem."

"I'll help how I can."

"So, a lot of ladies have been giving me attention lately, and I am not sure why or what to do about it."

"Attention how?"

"You know, attention? Uh...like they want to be with me? More than friends type way?"

"Oh, that can be quite serious of a problem."

"You're telling me! I have no idea what I am doing! There is this girl named Frem, and she is really aggressive. I mean maybe that is normal for her culture, but I am terrified of it."

"What do you mean you are terrified of it?"

"She is very touchy, and feely, and take baths togethery. I really enjoy spending time with her, but it's really hard not to get nervous. She is very pretty and just so full of energy! I am not sure what to do, because every time I see her I want to flee in terror and shower her in kisses at the same time!"

"Sounds like young love son. Just enjoy it."

"Well there is more."

"What do you mean more?"

"Well, more...girls."

"MORE girls!?"

"Yes, I told you this is a problem. My friend Mara who I told you about before? I thought she was a nun, but she isn't. Now that I know this? I think I like her even more. She is more like me. I love how we talk about things, and she isn't nearly as aggressive. I feel more at ease with her, but now that I know she isn't a nun that has changed. I think about her a lot too. Like all the time. I think I like her a lot more than just a friend."

"So, you have Mara on one side, and Frem on the other?"

"Well, no"

"No?"

"There is another one, or maybe two?"

"What?! Alright let me stop you son. This could get dangerous very quickly. It is alright to like a few, and I mean just a few, women. You never know what is going to happen in love, but what is dangerous is having them both fall in love with you. That spells disaster. You can date more than one lady, as long as they understand that is what you are doing."

"Wait, I can date more than one girl?"

"Woman, or lady, these aren't 'girls', be respectful."

"Sorry."

"Yes, it's called playing the field. I think? Maybe that's too old for you. Either way, it sounds like this is the first time women seem to be paying attention to you, enjoy it. Just be careful! Once things get serious stop fooling around."

"Dad?"

"Yes son?"

"This island /is/ really dangerous."

PEST CONTROL

Post by PEST CONTROL » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:18 am

"DAD! DAD where are you!? Please...where are you!? It's so dark. It's so dark in here. I am crying and can't stop."

"Tick, son! What is it? What has happened?"

"DAD...it's...so dark. So, small...so cramped. I can't breath! I can't BREATH!!"

"Son...please...listen to me. Son...deep breaths, in...out...in...out..."

"I can't...dad...I can't...I don't know what happen. It's so tight...so small..."

"Son, I am here with you. calm...calm..."

"My heart, it beats in my chest. So hard I cannot stop it. So hard it will burst! I must get out!! I MUST!!!"

"Calm...son...please...listen to me...calm...breaths."

"...."

"Calm...deep...breathing...listen to my words. Slow...calm breathing."

"So small. I cannot get smaller. Coffin. I am in a coffin!! NO smaller than a coffin! I am dead. I am dying!"

"Son, turn inward. Think of a good time. Think...of...your friends! Yes...your friends!...That girl Mara? Or Frem? Dammit! either one!!!"

"I am crying Dad. Can you hear me? Can you feel me? I...I..."

"Yes, I can. I can feel your emotions so strong it...hurts..."

"...I...need...I...need...help..."

"I know, but I don't know how to help you. I am not here, yet I am. Tick, I don't know if I am real, but I swear to you. I will help you with whatever is happening."

"Lost...I got...lost...no...I got taken. I don't know. The Shadow."

"Tick...focus. Try please...The Shadow, what happen with The Shadow?"

"I touched it. Punto...and me...we touched it."

"Oh no, Tick, please focus on my voice. Did you enter the plane of shadows?"

"So dark-"

"ANSWER ME! Did you go into a Shadow!!?"

"Punto went in, so...was worried about him. I followed."

"Oh, no."

"It felt, right...so...nice...I could hear you dad. I could hear you!!!"

"That wasn't me. Tick, I don't know what has happened, but I am here for you. I am so sorry. I was weak and threw my life away, but now...with you...I promise with whatever is happening here...I will be here for you."

"I am...not alone...in the dark"

PEST CONTROL

Post by PEST CONTROL » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:50 am

"DAD!?"

"DAD!!!?"

"Where are you?"

"Calm yourself son I am here."

"PAIN! Rats all over me, biting, tearing, forcing their way into my mouth! Tearing at my eye lids! Please Dad! Make it stop!"

"I am sorry son. Just listen to me. Listen to my voice. You can make it through this."

"Now it's spiders! In out, and about! In my nose, crawling into every hole. Biting, stinging! I can't scream. I can't see! I can't hear!"

"Son! You need to listen to nothing but my voice. We will make it through this. Tell me what happened."

"Pain Bucket, I'm in the Pain Bucket. I found the shadow, and wanted to get back, but I got caught. I sneezed and got caught!"

"Son, you aren't making sense. What do you mean found The Shadow?"

"I found the Shadow with Punto, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. So, I tried to find it on my own."

"Son, did you go into the Shadow? Son, please tell me? Did you go into the Shadow!?"

"I did Dad, I am so stupid. So, Sorry Dad. Then they got me. The Drow collared me!"

"Oh no."

"Oh yes."

"What!?"

"Twos Days, through Days! Four Days, My days! Six days, No days!"

"Dad? What are you talking about?"

"What Son? I didn't say anything."

"Yes you did. Nonsense."

"I am sure it was nothing."

"Is it?"

"Is it what?"

"Is what, what?"

"Dad stop it! I can't think. I can't feel anything, but pain. I really need your help!"

"Yet you speak here! Speaky, speaky, kiss on the cheeky."

"What!?"

"It's nothing son. We will get you through this. I promise. There is nothing we cannot do if you just listen to my voice."

"I...I...I can't think."

"Son, I am here."

"Is he?"

"I don't know."

"What don't you know?"

"If you are here?"

"Stop it, stop it, stop it!"

"Stop it, stop it, stop it!"

"Stop what son?"

"Just stop talking! Both of you."

PEST CONTROL

Post by PEST CONTROL » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:27 am

"Tipsy, Turvy, Roundy, Rispy, Crispy."

"Dad are you even real?"

"Dad are you even real?"

"Yes, of course I am. I am here to help you son."

"Is he?"

"I don't know what's real anymore. Where I am. What I am. I am here then I am there."

"Here there, here there, between what?"

"Quiet you. Son, listen to me. You are turning inward. It is quite possible the amount of beatings and torture you have received has caused serious damage. Damage that can be reversed."

"Can it?"

"CanitCanitCanitCanitCanit?!!!"

"Yes it can. I cannot understand what you are going through, but we can beat this."

"Why?"

"Yes, Why?"

"Because..."

"He doesn't know!!"

"The life I had above is gone. My friends hate me. I am- ."

"Out of Place, place, place place!"

"Would you be quiet!?"

"I am watching my body from inside a tunnel leading out of the back of my head. Watching myself wander around, run into things, follow commands, and hearing things as if hearing them under water. I don't understand. This place of darkness seems more real than anything else. The other world I can barely control myself."

"What is real? What is real? What is real?"

"I don't know what is real!? How am I even alive? Am I alive? Is my spirit watching my real body?"

"I don't know son. I just- We have to survive."

"We have to survive? Why!? It's just one painful horror after another. If it isn't the Pain Bucket, it's repeated beatings, if it isn't that? It's hearing those who I thought loved me, say they want to hurt me."

"Whine, whine, whine, whine."

"Shut up!"

"No, he's right. I think? I don't know."

"Right?"

"No."

"yes?"

"I don't know!! What am I anymore?!"

"Survive"

"Survive?"

"Yes son, survive."

"Survive]."