Veriel - A Path of Peace

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Veriel - A Path of Peace

Post by Eira » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:53 am

Three Years Before
“How do I know?” the elf tried not to whine, but it was rather inevitable at this point. He waited impatiently on the stool, dangling feet kicking against the legs of the table. “Wh-what if I’m alone surrounded by, uh, witches and they’re gonna kill me and-”

An eyebrow raised, and he gulped, words cut off. The human woman sitting cross-legged on the table waited a moment, brow still arched, her hands busy braiding a lock of her curly silvering hair.

“Why are you alone?” she said then, voice light. “And why are the witches surrounding you?”

“Because they’re all witches! And they killed everyone I was with.”

“Then,” the woman said as she pulled an errant thread from her green robe and used it to tie up the braid. “Do you think the Green Goddess would want you to defend yourself?” Her hands lower. “Peace cannot be taught, Veriel. You have been with us for many years; I am quite sure you can decide for yourself what would honour her purpose. And yours.”

“B-but how do I know?”

“Eldath guides us to find the path of peace, but she would not wish for us to give up on our lives out of fear of violence.”

He ducked his chin, kicking feet stilling. “I don’t want to hurt anyone… ever.”

“I know.” She stretched her palms out to him, waiting until he placed his hands on hers. “I will always be honest with you. There are paths that surely do avoid all violence; you know what they are. But there are also paths which skirt very close to danger and suffering, and travelling the land alone is one of those. As much as you can aid others… so you will witness much pain.”

Veriel’s chin lifted once more, and he squeezed her hands. “Do you really think I’m ready to go?”

“No,” she replied, serene. “But that is what you wish, and we will not halt you.”

“Oh...”

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Veriel - A Path of Peace

Post by Eira » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:08 pm

[Written as a collaboration with Matthew Daressin-Gravelle]

"Across the sea, across the sea; how far you fly, come back to me..."

The ship cut through the storm-ripped sea, hardly hindered by the heavy rain or blustering winds. Avoiding further downpour and the bustle of sailors manning the rigging and, well, all the sailor stuff they did, a young elf peered out the window of his cabin. His nervous gaze flicked about the room for an extended moment before he turned his eyes back through the murky glass to the waves. Once more his voice rose past his usual trembly murmur, a repetitive lilting melody.

“Without my love for a year or three; how far you fly, come back to me…”

A hand lifted to brush wet hair back from his face, the red sodden locks resisting the movement in their mess. A faint frown flickered over his lips as the elf’s thin fingers plucked and pulled at each tangle to put them in some semblance of order. A hesitation, and he focused once more on the water, eyes growing distant and fingers caught up in his hair. He remained very still that way for a long moment, lost in some thought.

Matthew gently opened the cabin door, stepping in with a huff as metal armour is tossed aside. Veriel’s head turned quickly, hand lowering to hang at his side. The initial startle passing, his expression softened at the sight of the priest.

“You appear drowned, Veriel. I do not refer to your currently soaked attire, either. The isle can still be seen from a distance, have you said goodbye in your heart?”

“I’m n-not sure.”

The blonde-haired priest strolled over to Veriel, gently grasping at his shoulder. “On the isle, I used hectic days and busy schedules to distract myself from the problems I faced. Still, I cannot forget the mistakes of my life there, mh? They are ah- burnt into the back of my mind, much akin to a tattoo.” He rocks his jaw, giving the soaked elf a pull into an embrace.

“We can’t return to those dark days, Veriel. I take the blame for all of this, but it really is time to say goodbye.”

“I know,” the young elf murmured through the embrace, voice steady for once. His eyes close briefly, a subtle relaxation of the tension in his shoulders.

The prince let out a soft sigh, “I’m ready to let go.” He then turned, walking off to investigate the other parts of the ship.

Veriel remained there, half-turned towards the door with meshing emotion painted across his face.

Akorae

Reena Welkins - Dead

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Veriel - A Path of Peace

Post by Eira » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:27 am

“So, you agree you weren’t ready,” the silver-haired woman continued as if their conversation had never ended, all those years before. She sat cross-legged in the calm pool, her dark green robes floating around her in the water. Her single eye fixed upon the elf standing before her, barely up to the ankles in the pool.

“No…” Veriel said, his gaze, as always, lingering upon the ragged scarring and burns covering half the priestess’ face before he focused on her words. “I wa-wasn’t.”

“Sit, Veriel.”

He sank to his knees; and then, as Friede continued to watch him silently, likewise shifted to relax with legs crossed. The elf struggled to breath in, his chest attempting to lift past the dent over his lungs.

“Do you regret the hurt you went through?”

Her eyes did not meet his, instead tracing the various scars and markings of his time on the isle. Veriel reddened faintly; not quite embarrassed by the scrutiny, but there was something vulnerable about submitting to her other unspoken questions.

“I a-am not sure.” At the stutter, his eyes closed, the elf silent for a long moment.

Friede waited quietly, her gaze slowly trailing back up to his face.

He attempted another breath in. “I le-learned a lot there… b-but I m-made so many mistakes. A-and I- I was th-the cause of hurt t-to others. Even those I lo-love.”

“And you feel responsible.”

His chin dipped, eyes drifting to the water and voice small. “Yes.”

“A difficult lesson; but often one needed learning.”

“I d-don’t know if I re-really learned.”

“And what could you have learned, Veriel?”

“I sh-shouldn’t trust others s-so easily… that m-many will wish t-to harm others j-just for the sake of it. And unless I ch-change myself, I’ll c-continue… t-to be a danger to who I lo-love.”

Friede’s eyes closed. “I see.” Her voice remained neutral and carefully noncommittal.

“Is th-that right?” The elf’s voice rose some, unsure now as his eyes darted up and ripples of water marked where he shifted nervously.

“You are gentle, yet hold conviction in your path. Any place you would have gone would have tested both.”

He frowned at the not-quite-an answer. “But- is it right? Do I- do you think I sh-should change?”

“What I think, Veriel, should have no bearing upon the decisions you make. Your path is yours, and yours alone.”

“I hoped you wo-would have answers…”

“Do you wish guidance, or do you wish to be told what to do?”

His lips parted, an inhale beginning of an answer- before he hesitated and shut his mouth once more.

“The question now, is whether you are ready once more to learn. To learn, forgive yourself, and heal.”

“I s-see.”

“Do you know the answer to that yet?”

“I’m n-not sure…”

“Speak with me once more when you are.”

Akorae

Reena Welkins - Dead