Nix

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

maxpolishguy

Nix

Post by maxpolishguy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:11 am

“I am coming, Father” was the phrase that kept Nix from falling into delirium. It has been 23 days since she has eaten; 23 days since she had anything to drink besides occasional rain water. A stowaway in a cargo hold of a merchant ship heading for Arelith from Amn of the Sword Coast, Nix was determined to find her father - or die trying. She didn’t have much in material sense where she was from, not much to lose.

Today was a stormy night at sea. Nix heard the bustle of sailors up on the deck running around to keep the ship steady on course. Amidst the commotion, she heard the cheers of men as the distant lights of Cordor were in sight.

“Finally, I will get to see my father” Nix thought with glee “and when I do, I will kill him.”

maxpolishguy

Re: Nix

Post by maxpolishguy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:23 pm

"Move along, citizen!" was her catch phrase as the newest addition to the city guard. Since Nix has arrive to Cordor she has settled in pretty well. Her initial thoughts on the city were that of amazement. The people, for the most part, were good and helpful. She did not struggle, she already had two jobs, one at the city's gossip hub - the Nomad - and one as a city guard, and enough money to live comfortably.

Nix was a good observer and she saw what lied beneath the pretty skin. She picked the brain of her employer at the Nomad. He has told her tales of past corrupt leaders and politicians, crooked law enforcement and power-hungry mages - of war and political turmoil. Such environment spells out one word for a person like Nix: opportunity. She did not care much for who won, as long as she could profit somehow. She did not mid working for the guard - as long as it benefited her somehow - and it did! The coin was good and connections were even better. The guard archives are a complete Cluster-Berk, but at least she has access to them. She figured that Fenix must have a criminal record, given that he was a no good slaad-licking scoundrel, but going through all those records will take months. Not to mention she had no idea where, or even what year to start at.

Surprisingly, Nix has made a friend in the force. "What's up, Chicka!" she greeted her casually while patrolling the streets. Duster has been something of a mentor to the young elf, and a major reason why she even got the job. The other guards and the commander have been very generous to her, not something she's accustomed to. Their actions have made her question the reason why she came to the isles... She has not see much good in people, but right when she thought that maybe she had it all wrong, her resolve was solidified. Duster showed Nix a facade that she had erected to shield herself from the world.

"Nix, the trick is to make /them/ think that you're pretty" said Duster with energy to her words "do you think I'm pretty?"

"Well yea! I mean you don't got much goin' on in da chest department but ya's good lookin' lass" Nix explained and as she did Duster's demeanor changed. Her posture slightly hunched over, her voice monotone, the ever-persistent smile faded. "Wha'?! So ya's jus' pretendin'? Don't ya get tired of doin' dat ALL DA TIME?"

"When I was a slave in the underdark, pretending was what kept me alive. I don't even notice it anymore" Duster proclaimed while erecting her facade once more.

Nix's brain kept wondering why the facade? Why is she hiding he true self behind a con? What else what she hiding? Suddenly Cordor no longer seemed like a paradise city, but a facade that's covering something else... or /someone/.

"Maybe I will get lucky this time, I am coming - Father" she said as she punted a leftover half-eaten apple into the harbor while headed back into the archives.