Journal of a Paladin [Kata Millendt]

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Vylarah

Post by Vylarah » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:15 am

Upon the inner cover there is a note, perhaps to whomever now reads the journal.

How long has it been since that fateful day? I can scarcely remember, with each day feeling as though it conspires to confuse me... but I suppose I am getting ahead of myself... I should probably preface this journal more... traditionally...

Dear diary? This part appears to be stricken with a small note next to it. 'Too cheesy... I'm no pre-pubescent airhead, maybe just the date, and a foreword?' Shortly after there is a foreword taking up the remainder of the page.

Greetings to whomever finds this journal,

You have, in your possession a partially complete, and very personal record of one Kata Millendt, Knight of the Radiant Heart and Paladin-Aspirant of Amaunator and Lathander both. Within these pages you shall find the inner thoughts of the aforementioned knight, alongside observations and recountings of events which occurred after this diary's procurement. It should also be noted that many of the events described within its pages are completely genuine, and without falsehood, no matter how fantastical they may seem.
Last edited by Vylarah on Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Character: Artemis Baatori
Current Alt: ???

Vylarah

Post by Vylarah » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:55 am

Month 6, Day 19, Year 159 AR:

It is with a heavy heart, and moistened eyes that I write this entry today... I was summoned away to my home in Cormyr less than a month ago now, to learn of a family emergency... That emergency was dire indeed... they had caught wind of what had become of my father, in his quest to bring the light of the Sun to an accursed place. I was told he had perished, or so they believed, having come across faint echoes of pained screams outside of a tomb... and scraps of my father's cloak, and armour not far from the entrance.

Journal... were it so simple, that he were dead and buried, that I would have a clear mind about all of this, but I regret that is not so. For shortly after these items were recovered, the screaming stopped... only to be replaced with laughter, or so the report tells me... I refuse to believe its contents... that the screams and laughter were that of my father... it just... I can't believe what I have been told... that an undead simile of my father burst forth, and killed two of his best friends remorselessly... I... just thinking about it, makes my blood boil... surely it was just a simile, and not my father.

I am getting sidetracked... I need to write with a clear mind... but it is hard. I need to keep to my father's teachings... 'a smile better suits a hero' he said... even if it hurts me to do so, I need to keep smiling, for mother's sake... for my sister's sake... I cannot stop smiling, even as my pillars collapse inwards...

The report then states that the simile withdrew as the remaining man ran away, watching as my father's friends were... they had their souls torn from their bodies, and perverted... before being shoved back in... returning them to unlife... They also reported hearing that they plan to march for Arelith, a land ripe for the taking...

Journal... I need to return and complete my training, to warn everybody of what is to come, they cannot be allowed to continue perverting the course of life as they have... it... it is my duty, as my father's heir... to do what must be done. I cannot allow myself to falter as I do so... for that would invite indecision, and doubt. I must protect that which I hold dear, be that my family... my friends... Darrowdeep... Mona... I will NOT let them fall. I need to get stronger.
Last edited by Vylarah on Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vylarah

Post by Vylarah » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:44 am

Month 10, Day 26, Year 159:

I... honestly don't even know where to begin, since my last entry... I am sorry, but this is still all new to me, so I am just... writing whenever I can remember you exist, journal.

But, right now? That... is besides the point... as I said, I scarcely know where to begin... so much has happened, I do not know if I can accurately remember it all, but I will try my best.

<There appears to be several falsely started sentences, before the actual beginning of the entry.>

So... to put it all quite simply... my Fiancee has disappeared for the last month, I have become a senior knight in the Radiant Heart Auxiliary... uh... I insulted the Coronal of the Elven City of Myon by calling her a Petulant Child, for behaving as such... I have thankfully heard nothing of my undead father's... advance on these isles... and Darrowdeep... darrowdeep is tearing itself apart...

An elaboration on that last point... as I personally know very little of what happened... but within the last tenday, there has apparently been an incident in the Forest of Despair, where an Ogre, and a Drow were spotted... and had surrendered when they were approached by Lord Dwinndarre, and a group of others... and were being allowed to leave... when Anavia, the Captain of the Cordor Guard, broke the sacred rule for such an agreement, and shot at them...

This elicited a hostile response from Ysolda, a friend of mine, and fine dwarven warrior... which in turn drew the ire of Anavia's adoptive parents who were there at the time at the time... I don't know what happened beyond that... other than Ysolda quit Darrowdeep... and half of the keep is up in arms at each other's throats... it made me feel terrible... I ran away from the keep for the last couple of days, trying to sort my emotions out... but it's been hard.

Other than all of this... and arguably the... most 'shocking' of all... I have resolved myself to end my service with the Morninglord, and Keeper of the Eternal Sun... this decision did not come lightly... and took many months of deliberation with myself. Though I will keep their tenants close to my heart... I cannot continue to follow them without tearing myself apart, spiritually and emotionally.

I have instead resolved to serve the Goddess Sune, as I believe her portfolio is far more... in line with who I am at my core. I can't really say much more... as I had to renounce my oaths... and, without a cleric of Lady Firehair around... I am afraid I can't take any more.