Duster goes to Tethyr

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Vespidae

Duster goes to Tethyr

Post by Vespidae » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:23 pm

I have no idea where I'm going, and I'm going home.

I won't recognise these people, and they are my parents, my family. I don't know how to act in the presence of them. I will rely on fast-learning, as I did when I first arrived in Cordor. When I first arrived in Andunor. Or in Skullport, or Ched Nasad, or Graklstugh, or when those scaled bastards first took me from my home. My home in Tethyr. I'm coming home. Will I recognise?

I pray to my god. I fancy an answer in the sea breeze, distant and gentle. "Did you ever feel alone? I am around you. Always. In day and in night."

I loft a hand to the elf stood on the quayside of the Crow's Nest. As the wind picks up, Arelith sinks below the horizon, and I am left alone with the ship's crew and a creaking vessel. How can this old, battered and barnacled tub remain afloat under the weight of my memories? They seem aflame more than ever, from blazing moments of grief and triumph to calm embers of silence and rest.

The crossing to Athkatla is met without incident. No pirates of Sencliff or Brynnlaw, none of the terrors that haunt the ships of the archipelago. Vessels flying Amnish penants become more frequent, and for the first time in my life I'm glad to see them. We're near home. But first, we're spending some nights in Athkatla. A tenday or so. Should be time enough to see some of the famed sights - Waukeen's promenade, the Temple of Talos, the Bridge District. And I should be able to get word ahead to my family to expect an old but hopefully familiar face.

We make landfall at the docks of Athkatla. I throw a purse over the side, a simple tribute to the Bitch Queen but one that attracts a knowing nod from the sailors who brought me here. It's thanks to their skill and her mercy I made it here, and no sense ignoring that fact. Everyone gets a purse.

What to do with a tenday in an unfamiliar city? Cordor is the only surface city I've been to. Athkatla is huge, you can see it from miles off, plumes of smoke from the chimneys, flotillas of fishing ships. As I step onto the docks, I see furtive glances from the crowd. From a beggar, from a bystander, a washer-woman. I draw a circle lazily around one ear. I'm going to be in good company for the tenday, I can tell. After that, onwards to Tethyr.

Vespidae

Re: Duster goes to Tethyr

Post by Vespidae » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:14 pm

The mainland is bustling. Amn is warm. The docks of Athkatla are constantly thronging with life, seahands and stevedores busy through all hours. In Cordor, it rains all the time, and the architecture is austere and grey, columns and crenellations amidst half-timbered, rainswept buildings. In Athkatla it's a riot of colour, and domes and spires kissed by the sun.

It didn't take long for me to make friends in low places. They congregate in secluded guildhouses around the docks, connected by lengths of underground tunnel. I've made myself useful to a couple of them. Gave me a chance to explore some of the nicer parts of town, stick my nose into some posh estates. There's a lot of them in Athkatla and they're not as sturdy of lock as those in Cordor. Surprising considering the sheer numbers of the Shadow Thieves.

The Copper Coronet seems to be the place to drink. There's more upmarket taverns and watering holes, but even the wealthy seem to prefer risking a trip through the slums to drink in a place with real character. It's like the Nomad downstairs, but the Lotus upstairs. And there are backrooms that remind me more of the Spider's Web in Andunor.

I value the time I spend in the city, but I have always loved to explore. And one of my jobs gave me such an opportunity. The entire new city is built on the remains of one much older. There are labyrinths of old tombs and sewers and caves under the surface, crawling with strange and mysterious beings. I got what I came for - an ancient amulet of the dead god Amaunator - and returned to the handler. But not before really taking in the surroundings. Maybe it's from growing up underground, but it was nice not to have the sun in my eyes for a bit.

Tomorrow's the day. I'll set out for Tethyr, for Riatavin, returning to a long lost home. I can hardly contain myself anymore.

Vespidae

Post by Vespidae » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:59 pm

"This part of Amn is called Zehoarastria", says Thyde as he tests the sight of his crossbow. He's a half-orc, wiry and lean, and part of the Guild with whom I've made so many friends. There's also Coot, a woman of mixed elven lineage who carries a brutal looking falx, and Sedo, a human lad of sixteen years or so with a pair of hatchets. They've business in Crimmor, which is the next stop on my way to Riatavin, and we've bonded enough that they're happy for my company and my blades.

"It's fairly quiet, the river road. Unlikely we'll meet bandits or worse. Anyone can see we're not transporting cargo."
"Good to know", I reply. "I've no fear of such things but it's nice to enjoy a sunny afternoon." The cart jolts on the cobbles but we're comfy in the hay.
"So, now we're alone out here, Dust, what's the story? You really just off to meet family?" Asks Coot, from her position at the reins of the sturdy carthorse.
"That's really all there is to it, Coot, but believe me when I say it's been a very long time."
"Mm. Sylis said you'd been... in the Underdark for a long time, aye?"
"Aye." The others glance at each other as if concerned that it was a bad time to mention it. I appreciated it.

"What about you lot?" I ask after a few more hills go by. "Got any dirty work lined up?"
The others glance at each other again. Thyde shrugs.
"Yeah, fairly dirty. Nothing elaborate, just making sure that a shipment arriving from Nashkel this evening goes to Athkatla instead of Imnescar. Don't ask what's in the shipment."
I grunt a laugh. "Need a hand or have you got it covered?"
"We've got it covered."

- - -

Crimmor is called the 'Caravan City' or something. Some kind of big trading centre for the region, keeping Athkatla supplied with luxuries and staple from the hinterlands. The Shadow Thieves have a grey presence in the city, and my companions have gone off to meet with some contacts to secure their dark deal. That leaves me free to enjoy the night life.

I decide to drink with some off-duty guards. They wear the same peaked helmets as the soldiers I've seen in other places, but tonight the helmets are off and they're playing cards. It's easy to get chatting once I bring up my service record from Cordor. There's no captains among this lot, highest ranking one is a serjeant called Lazhia. We trade tales of our time in service, and way late into the night a couple of other guards, in full uniform, come in.

"Serjeant Lazhia. We're going to be needed outside the Seven Suns warehouse..." the guard glances to me then back to her, and says nothing else. I nod as the other guards make their apologies and put uniforms on. I turn back to my drink when the thought hits...

Didn't Sedo mention the Seven Suns to Coot on the way here? Oh hells.

- - -

"Duster - what are you doing here?"
"Sorry Thyde. And keep your voice down. They're outside. There's eight of them. Four outside the main exit, two on the roof, and two keeping eyes on the other exits from across the streets."
"Godspit, thank the laughin' dell you're here. What's the play? Wait, how did -you- get in?"
"Trust me, ain't almost nobody who can see me when I don't wanna be seen. In fact, I only ever met one who could." I'm wearing the Armour of the Hanged Man now. Dusky adamantine scale gleams scant down my right arm. Squint and you could easily miss me.
"Sh!" Sedo interjects. "Alright, since we're blown let's have a look in the crate. Think they'll enter before we come out?"
"They looked like they wanted to catch us as we came out."
"In we go then."
I grin and help the others jemmy open the crate they've been attempting to change the shipping information on. It had been a good plan - enter the warehouse with some paperwork provided by their superiors, edit the manifest, plaster the new address onto the box, head out, let the caravan company do the dirty work for them.

We get the box open and by this point we're expecting it to be empty, but whoever filled it at least had the decency to put something heavy in. Mostly just rusty hunks of iron, enough to make it convincing. Either way we know we've been had. We've got maybe twenty minutes before the guards get bored of waiting and just storm the place (I'm estimating based on experience) and confront us. I doubt the fact that I'm not guilty of any actual crimes right now would do me much favour in the presence of these unfortunate marked rogues. So that's how long we have to get ourselves out.

Coot says something about hiding in another box. Good shout. That gives me an idea. How about we hide in a box of something worth having? Thyde snaps his fingers. How about we put labels from boxes of outbound fruit for Esmelteran onto boxes of something worth having, and THEN hide in them? Great. Settled. All we need is to make the guards think we've left.

Once the crates are decided and prepared, I let of a few smoke bombs at one of the smaller exits. I then slip into my crate and I seal it behind me. There's a bit of shouting and then after five minutes all is still. The guards think we've left. I nestle among the sacks and sleep.

The next morning I feel the unmistakable sway of water. We're on a boat for Esmereltan, with a wealth of spice at our fingertips...

Vespidae

Post by Vespidae » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:20 am

The local thieves guild chapter in Esmelteran raise their brows at the sight of four healthy rogues being pulled out of spice crates marked as fruit crates, but don't seem immensely surprised. Clearly they're impressed with the guile of our ruse though, and after a couple of days in their company, we're awarded a cut of the spice sales. Of greater concern to Sorra, the local boss, is the fact that my friends were set up. The halfling questions me on a few details, but she seems satisfied. I tell her about my playing cards with the guards, I don't tell her I was once a captain myself.

My companions have been going over the details. They're still trying to finger a source for the job, and they're trying to determine why the job was sourced to Athkatlan thieves rather than kept in Crimmor. Sedo thinks someone called Jerrick might have passed the job onto their guildmaster, Devan. But there the trail runs dry.

I don't stay long in the city. It's a nice enough place, a lot of hin here, the most I've ever seen outside of Bendir Dale. But I'm getting closer to home now. I make a series of farewells and I'm out the next morning.

- - -

I'm definitely being followed.

I take a boat south and east, up some of the more remote rivers. I had planned to head to Brost and head out to Riatavin from there, but I notice a rider too often. Hanging back too far to be anything but suspicious, shadowing the boat along the riverbank. After a day of this, I pay the ferry-woman and, as the boat turns a corner, I leap onto the bank. I have just enough time to camouflage myself in such a way as to confound the rider. I rub clay onto my face and onto my hands, and rub grass into the cracks in my armour. This should dampen my scent and hide my silhouette.

I am she of the trackless step, of course, and when the rider gallops closer I get just enough of a glimpse from my hiding place. He's a sturdy fellow dressed as most outriders would be. He hasn't changed his sword though - and because of it I recognise him. He's one of the guards who interrupted the game of cards I was having with Serjeant Lazhia.

Well well, Dusty, the plot has really thickened this time hasn't it?

I track the rider for some miles - this isn't difficult. A better ranger might have tracked him further but I lose him at a river crossing. This wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't lost now. After some walking I guess I'm in the Tejarn Hills but beyond that I haven't a clue where I am. I can fathom my cardinal points - I'm a skilled outdoorswoman of course - but I don't have a map. I didn't think I'd need one.

I find a ruined tower - it reminds me of the ruins I've seen in the Lost Desert of Sibayad. Here I'll bed until I can make my way further on.

Vespidae

Post by Vespidae » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:29 pm

The morning breaks with radiant colour through the cracks in the deserted sentinel tower. I'd wrapped myself in a cloak and avoided lighting a fire - I've no desire to draw attention to myself.
I'm sure I was having a dream... what was I dreaming about?
No time to think about that - I'm far from the road and I'm not certain which way I took to reach this tower. It was dusk when I arrived.

Judging by the sun, I'm going the right way though. In the distance, I can see what seems to be a hillfort - I've heard of these places, and they contain full garrisons of Amnish troops who I've no reason to believe wouldn't hassle me, especially after yesterday.
Still, they're looking for someone matching my description, so anyone else should be fine. Today I'm anyone else. Pretending to be a Tethyrian traveller should be convincing, especially considering it's true. So, I shake my hair loose from the slave-chain link that usually keeps it in check, apply a little khol to my eyes, dress in my protective clothing (packing the Armour of the Hanged Man away) and I already look like another person.

The terrain is fairly tricky but no worse than the lower Skull Crags. For two days I don't meet anyone who isn't a halfling, and then all but a couple mostly give me filthy looks and shuffle away. I'm getting ready to camp one evening, when I notice something - I've mislaid my shortsword. Damn! I know how - I was getting water from a stream, and I'd had it drawn in case of being attacked. I'd put it down - no matter. I'll just go back and get it. Greensteel of that quality, you don't just let lie.

I find my way back fine, and my shortsword is where I left it. I slide it back into the sheath, and - hang on.

A plume of smoke. Someone is camped back here. I'd noticed no camps on the way, so they must have been coming the same way as me. Maybe even trailing me. Could they have been assuming I'd be getting ready to sleep soon? Is it the same rider who'd tried to tail me yesterday?

I crouch on a rocky promontory, and look down into the nook where the man is readying camp. It's him alright. Horse tethered to a stump nearby. He's not looking in my direction (not that he'd see me anyway) but begins to make his rounds of the area. He's dark of hair sturdy, and his attire is standard Amnish outrider. When I first saw him, he'd been in full guard attire. Interesting.

It takes some time for him to turn in, by which time he's damped his fire down and no more smoke rises. Smart guy. It's getting dark now, and if I'm to search him then I'd have to rely on a light source. Even having spent years underground, I still tap myself with a wand of ultravision just to be sure. Everything leaps into vibrant colour, and once I'm certain he's asleep, I slip into the camp.

My hands are pretty deft, and my footfalls light. I pay close attention to him as I go through his stuff. I decide against taking anything - I'd sooner he never knew I was here. Every footprint of mine will be gone by morning.
If I was hoping for a letter from a secret superior explaining his reason for following me, I'd be disappointed. Yeah, actually I was hoping for that. Nevermind, the documents that I do find are just as interesting.

I find the documentation proving his membership of the Amnish army. Soon, I find a guard badge for the Crimmor city guard. Alright. But the real kicker is the documentation proving his membership of the Tethyrian army. In Amn, he seems to be called 'Yastin Enorah', but in Tethyr he's 'Ledrys Tayne'. Who the hell is this guy?

I feel like there's a mystery to solve here, but there's nothing else to give me clues. All his other stuff is traveller's fare - arms and armour, supplies, a bottle of vinegary red wine. Before I leave, I loosen his horse's tether. If anything should come for them in the night, it might make the horse bolt which should get me a few extra hours.

I resolve to keep going through the night, tired though I be. I drink some of the bitter Arabellan coffee from my pack, cold and rank now having been stored since my voyage from Arelith. But it helps me through the night. By morning, I'm on the other side of the hills. I'm able to flag down a cart, explaining that I'm headed to Riatavin - which is where the carter is headed. I sleep through the day in a pile of hay, having paid the woman well.

Vespidae

Post by Vespidae » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:23 pm

When I wake, it's almost the following morning. I can see the sky in the east getting dimly brighter, anticipating the new dawn. The cart is parked at a wayside inn. I'm under a blanket - the old woman's given me a blanket while I slept. Bless her.

I feel restless, so I deftly climb onto the roof of the inn. The first red blade of the sun cuts the horizon, and is heralded by a raspy chanticleer in the surrounding farmland. I swing my legs idly, looking East. The sun climbs higher, and the first rays hit the city ahead of me. Riatavin.

Praise Lathander. It's not the first time I felt compelled to honour the Dawnlord thus. I remember the first sunrise I saw after clawing my way out of Minmir's caves. But this time I've not just escaped, I've come home. Somewhere in the distance, I can't work out where, is the farmstead I grew up on.
An hour later, the old woman hobbles back to the cart. She leaves a bowl of steaming porridge on the hay for me. I drop down to enjoy my breakfast with her, and we're off once more.

- - -

It's been so long since I was last here that I've forgotten a slew of details. But the tiles on the roofs, the timbering and arches and the colour of the brick and the walls... it's all coming back to me now. I breathe in a lungful of city air, hoping that the scent will bring back more memories, but not just yet. I leave the carter, paying her with a handful of coins, gems and bits of jewellery stolen from the Shadow Plane, and I head off into the streets.

Where am I actually going? Hells if I know. Am I going to go home? Does my family even still live in that farmstead? Is it still there? Are they all dead? I should probably find that out. I don't remember the layout of the city much - I never came into town very often. I don't know how long I'm going to be looking, so firstly I should get myself lodgings and a job. The first bit should be easy - I could put a down payment on pretty much any vacant room in the city. As for the second, well. A job working at a tailors or a tanning workshop should tide me over during the day. Or maybe even better, use my guard experience, get a little more inside knowledge of the city?

By the time I've eaten lunch, I've sorted out my room. It's got a sturdy lock and it sits above a tavern. I remember the markings that Thyde taught me, and scrawl a thief-marking on the door frame. It reads, to the educated 'Don't steal from here'. It should deter any Shadow Thieves from attempting to make light of my belongings, but more local ruffians might not notice it.

Signing up with the city militia is a little more hard work. They can't run a background check on me, but I provide some pretty good credentials. I don't want to sign up using my birth name, even though I am from this city, because it might... confuse things. So I call myself Duster. I provide a compelling tale of my time in the Cordor guard that is almost completely true, and even show a few old documents signed with guard officers from there that helps sell my case. Mostly it's all relevant, but I still feel a little bit of blag is needed to get me past some of the bureaucratic hurdles. Two days later, I'm issued my uniform and a starting commission as a sergeant.

I've taken the intervening time to wander around the surrounds of the city, and... it looks -sort of- familiar, but I can't recognise any individual farmsteads. There was a mine nearby, I remember that, but the nearby yokels I question just shrug.

It'll take a few more days to get to the bottom of this.

Vespidae

Post by Vespidae » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:04 pm

Two days into the new job and I've mostly just taken reports and filled in paperwork. I've done a few patrols as well, just to get me used to the layout of the city. I've started wearing my hair differently now, and it's just as well because on this day, I hear a fellow sergeant say "Lieutenant Tayne".

There he is. Seamlessly blending in with every other guard, is the man who's been following me from Esmelteran.

Hells. Now what? Damn it all, it seems like he's actually an established member of the local guard. Seems to know everyone well enough, as he makes his greetings. My new friend, Sergeant Whipwind, is asking him about his recent absence.

"Where've you been, Lieutenant?"
"Border patrol with the army, Rhea. There's a person of interest who was believed to be heading this way from Amn."
"Really? We allowed to know any more than that?"
"Just that she's an incredibly talented spy. Probably working with the Shadow Thieves."

I take a deep breath. Strictly speaking, I had been working with them, but my involvement was hardly enough to merit my being followed here. What does he want from me? I try not to look at him and keep my head down, filling in my paper-

"Oh, this is Sergeant Duster. She started here two days ago."
"Ah? Duster? Strange name..."

Sigh. I stand up, put on my most winning smile, and salute the man.
"Sergeant Aliss Duster at your service, sir," I beam, quickly inventing a first name.
"Well met, Sergeant. I'm Lieutenant Ledrys Tayne." He's got a charming voice. He's young. Maybe only a couple of years older than me. If he recognises me, he doesn't show it, which means either my disguise is good, or his ability to conceal surprise is good. "I trust that Rhea's been showing you round?"
"Yes sir."
"Very good."

And for a few days, that's that. I begin to echo the style of the other guards, becoming more at home, but now deadly curious as to what's going on with this 'Tayne' character. So much so that I have to delay any thoughts of finding my family - this could put them in danger.

One evening I tail him, once I'm used to his movements. His meanderings take him far from his usual routes, and instead to a small temple. Temple of the Divine Right, reads the sign above the arch. He certainly doesn't look out of place among the other humans in the building, sat on benches in quiet contemplation of alleged royal and noble supremacy. He is praying next to another. I stick to the walls, hoping to get close enough to eavesdrop without being seen. This is, of course, my speciality.

"...managed to escape, Jerrick. Didn't even manage to collar one of them. Seems they were aided by another."
"What can you tell me of them?" Ooh, Jerrick. That's a name I remember from the others. He's a wiry, ginger haired fellow who looks like a Dalesman.
"She's a master of her art, whoever she is. I tailed her south and she's likely crossed into Tethyr by now."
"Interesting. Have you met anyone strange in town, anyone new?"

There's a pause. Oh hells.

"Yes. There's a new sergeant in the watch. Aliss Duster."
"Sounds like a fake name, to me. Could it be your quarry in disguise?"
"Huh. Same height and build, now you mention it. And when I first spotted her, she was drinking and playing cards with the Crimmor watch. Seems like she got on well with them."
"But these three rogues from Athkatla... you say they were just... random. She couldn't have been working -with- them, which means if she's foiled your plans..."
"...she could have had eyes on us for a while. It could be she's one of the slavers."

Alright, that last bit took me by surprise. And it seems that if I'm going to unravel this, I'm better of stepping out of the shadows now, sooner rather than later.

"I'm here, Yastin." I take a step forwards. By this point, we're the only three people in the temple. They swivel around, weapons drawn. I keep my arms folded - But my rapier and shortsword are very obvious. So is the adamantine sleeve of the Armour of the Hanged Man.

He looks me up and down. Jerrick has a wicked looking dagger in his hand - a Dead Man's Cross. I'd better watch out for him.

"Sergeant Duster. Well done, well done on infiltrating my own guard unit. Have you come to spill my blood? I warn you, Jerrick here may not look it... but between us, we're more than a match for you." If it wasn't for that dagger, I might have doubted that bravado.

"Sorry chief. My involvement with Thyde's crew was only a matter of courtesy for them helping me get to this side of the border. And it's Captain Duster. Well, ex-captain. Cordor city guard."
"Cordor? What, on that little windswept nowhere in the trackless sea?"
"Same. I'm just coming home, is all. Seems all this happened by accident."
"You realise how profoundly nonsense what you're saying must sound, Duster... if that is your real name."
"It's not, actually, but it's the name I've had for a very long time."
"Why reveal yourself now?"
"You mentioned slavers. I used to be a slave. And for some time now, I've been working tirelessly to defeat slavers." That causes them to look at each other for what feels like a long time.

I explain to them my story since arriving in Amn in a little more detail. They scratch their heads and scowl, and don't seem very convinced. They ask me why I'm in Tethyr at all.

"I'm here to find my family. I was taken by slavers very close to hear, many years ago. I'm just trying to make my way back to the farmstead, but I can't find it."
Tayne's eyes widen slightly. He cautiously asks, "What farmstead."
I suppose I'm going to have to tell him.
"The Gayle steading." His eyes almost pop out of his head.
"B-Bernessa?"
"Wha-" that's my name. He- oh.
"Mathys!?"

It seems, at least, that I have found my brother.

Vespidae

Post by Vespidae » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:16 pm

What follows is a bit of a blur. Questions get barked at each other as we ascertain that we are truly who we claim to be. The dust begins to settle as it becomes ever more apparent that we are indeed. More of a blur is the long moment of tears before we're able to talk about it again. I've only cried a handful of times since I was taken below... once when I saw 'The miracle of ceremorphosis'. Once when I saw a beam of sunlight shine from above into a secluded grotto. Once when I saw the night sky above Minmir. But here I am weeping openly.

"And you haven't used your name since?"
"No. What about you? You're still Mathys to... to the family, yes?"
"Of course. Speaking of which... let's go."

The walk through Riatavin and into the surrounding farmlands is a long one. We cover much ground, both on foot and in our recollections. It turns out he's been trying to unravel a connection between the Shadow Thieves and a slavery network for some years now. 'Some' being the amount since I was taken myself.

"And what did you want with Thyde's crew exactly?"
"I needed to separate some people from Devan's gang, as I believe he's the closest of the shadow thief heads to the slavers. If I could split a few off, I could capture them and get answers."
"Am I the reason you've been hunting slavers, big brother?"
"Yes. And the last person I expected to put a crimp in my plans. But if I'd known you would, I would have welcomed it."
I smile at that.
He continues; "How long have you been free of shackles?"
"About four of five years now. I've been working in Cordor."
"How did you end up there? Can you truly get to the Arelith on the underseas?"
"You surely can."
"We should talk more on this another time. We're almost home." And we are. There's the shape of my old house against the sunrise. The barns, the layout of the walls and buildings... things flood back to me that had been forgotten. The cock crowed twenty minutes ago, so my family should be stirring now.

Mathys knocks thrice on the door.

- - -

It's hard to describe the next tenday. The reunion that had been some eighteen years in the waiting. I don't know if anyone had expected this day to come, and if they had, perhaps this was just how they imagined it. It was more emotional to me than that night when the collar had split from my neck.
Stranger still is being called 'Bernessa'.

One day, I am cleaning out the cowsheds. I don't know much about looking after animals, but I can talk to them well enough. Not that they have much interesting to say. Want grass. Eye hurts. Flies. What that noise. I see the pale human is shovelling my dung again.
"Pains me to see you working so hard after all you've been through." My mother has approached while I was shovelling.
"It's quite different to do this in a loving place, Mama."
She nods. We talk for a while about it.
"What are these 'rothe' like?"
"They're more ill-tempered than cattle. The cows, at least. Bulls are bulls wherever you are."
"Taste the same?"
"The meat has a dank quality to it, probably from all the mushrooms and moss that they eat. The cheese is sharp and tangy. The drow sometimes add strange, brightly coloured moulds to the milk to give it an additional sting."
"It seems strange to think of those monsters as having a dairy process."
"Most of them are just ordinary people, Mama."
"Do they farm any vegetables? Any crops, other than moulds and mushrooms?"
"Not like the wheat in your own fields."
"Come, let me show you how to make bread."

- - -

Another tenday passes. I've been helping my father till the fields. I've been helping my brother decode letters regarding his work. He still hasn't told me who he really works for, and I know better than to ask.
My younger sister, Vespera, I have been teaching in the art of the sword. I remember her being born - three years younger than me. She barely remembers me at all, but remembers when I went missing.
"What's the benefit of wielding one blade over two?"
"You can strike with more accuracy. If you're trained, you can even wield magic with the other hand."
"What's better, a second blade or a buckler?"
"I've always favoured the second blade. Here, let me show you". She's going to be a skilled fighter one day. Mathys has been teaching her mathematics and writing too.
"Who taught you how to fight, Berne?"
"Well, a lot of it is self taught, but..." I remember fighting back to back with a great warrior, watching her swings and her graceful movements, economical and beautiful.
"...but I learned a lot from a good friend."

- - -

Another tenday passes. Father finds me on the ridge overlooking the remains of the old mine, which have long since been collapsed deliberately.
"Papa, how long after I went missing did it take before you knew what had happened?"
"Five days. We had guards from the city search the mines with lanterns. It was then that we found kobold tracks, though they'd taken pains to hide most of their marks. After that, Mat swore he'd find you, one way or another."
"He did."
"Yes, he did. Turns out all he needed to do was wait, but he's done a lot. Slavers between here and Athkatla have been stopped. A kobold tribe that was working with them were routed."
"That's more important." We watch the sun set together and turn our talk to simpler things.

- - -

Another tenday passes. I've spent this one preparing to leave. Much as I love the time I've spent here, I am not at the right time of my life for settling down. Much needs to be done. But, it's far sweeter to be able to say my goodbyes properly this time. I've told them I'll be back again someday, and they hope this is true. I certainly do. But they know that some work can't be left undone too long.

I resign from the Riatavin militia. Mathys and I travel to Athkatla, and I board the next ship bound for Arelith. My instincts tell me, though, that there are threads left. Loose ends that could unravel yet more mysteries. I feel like I'll see Thyde and company again. And what of the mysterious Jerrick? Who is he really?

Parrots circle overhead. In the distance, the jungle cliffs of Arelith loom large. We've avoided Sencliff traffic, but seen a fair bit of flotsam. The Crow's Nest approaches, and I head back below decks to gather my belongings.