The Hunt

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Aelipse1

The Hunt

Post by Aelipse1 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:29 pm

Part 1

The woods were engulfed in a thick blanket of darkness and every now and then there was an owl’s hoot or a wolf’s howl. The old wooden cart moved slowly with a creaking noise along a forlorn road, apparently not used in years, and every time it hit a rock, a root or a pothole, it seemed as if it was about to fall apart.

“Damned woods! One can barely see shite around’ere and the ride’s only gonna make me beard all tangled up!” muttered the dwarf sitting at the head of the wagon and hit the donkey in front angrily with a whip. There was a muffled female chuckle coming from the rear of the wagon. The dwarf’s bearded, hooded head slowly turned behind and then back to watch the road ahead.

“I wish I were sitting in a tavern right now, drinkin’ ale. Damn, that’d be grand!”

“Halt!” bellowed a commanding voice from somewhere behind a tree. The dwarf grunted and brought the cart to a stop.

“Well, well, well...” said a sneering voice coming from the opposite side and the dwarf could now see a pair of white eyes – two dots shining into the dark and slowly approaching him. He recognised a silhouette of a black, skinny figure, who was pointing an arrow at him. Laughter echoed from the opposite side and the dwarf was able to make out at least another two black silhouettes.

“Master dwarf is either very brave or very stupid to have stumbled into our part of the forest.”

“I am in a forest? Oi, that would explain why there’s so many trees around!” joked the dwarf, maintaining a serious face and staring back into the malevolent eyes in front of him. There was laughter coming from behind the wagon, but the dark elf staring at the dwarf only smirked.

“I am not going to ask you what your last wish is, dwarf, for you won’t get any ale here anyway,” he spat and drew his bow. At that moment there was a whoosh and from under the blanket covering the wagon’s cargo came another arrow, it soared past the dwarf’s face and pierced the dark elf’s head. The blanket flew into the air and a man in shining armour leapt forth from under it, unsheathing his dimly glowing sword and with a single fluent move thrust it at another black silhouette nearby. The drow was apparently surprised, but his reflexes we lightning fast. He stepped back to avoid the blow and drew his two curved daggers from his belt. Before he could use them though, the dwarf’s axe bit deep into his chest, cracking his ribs and sending him flailing to the ground.

Suddenly, a huge female figure materialised above them, opened her mouth and let out a terrifying screech. The ground shook, the fallen leaves soared three feet above the forest floor like a wave and birds and squirrels fell from the tree crowns, dead. The dwarf and the armoured man however, now surrounded by a purple aura, remained unharmed. The mage spread his arms and attempted to cast another deadly spell, when another arrow coming from the cart whizzed between the paladin and the dwarf and hit the mage into his chest. The wizard stumbled, spun, spat out the last word of the incantation and brought down a hailstorm of giant razor sharp icicles onto a nearby area, crushing and pulverising trees, rocks and his fellow drow alike. Before he could utter another word, the dwarf leapt to him and severed his white-haired head with a single blow of his axe. The remaining black silhouettes disappeared into the darkness and there was silence again.

“Not just ale but also your ugly head would be me last wish, ye stupid filthy drow,” spat the dwarf.

“Do what you have to do, Dergo, but do it quickly. I don’t have a stomach for this,” said the paladin.

“Don’t ye worry, lad. They were just filthy drow. Not even your gods could be angry with you for cutting their heads off.”

“Well done, Kart!” a young woman jumped off the wagon and caught the paladin in a hug. “Still, I was afraid for you.”

“Don’t be afraid, Kir. You know I would never die without your permission!” he smiled and brought his lips close to hers. Then he turned away and looked at the elf, who was now kneeling next to a drow corpse, one hand clutching his bow, the other examining the footprints.

“Found anything of interest, Vael?”

“I am not sure,” replied the elf, “but from what I can gather, there might be some giant spiders lurking around. Knowing what kind of company the drow like to keep, it would not surprise me in the slightest.”

“We should be going,” said Kiraia to Kart, still holding him in her arms.

“Agreed. I nay like the smell of elves around’ere,” stated the dwarf and hopped back onto the cart. Vaelren frowned and stood up.