Another torn page

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Normolomue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Another torn page

Post by Normolomue » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:04 pm

*Elaralia leans against the antechamber wall of the temple and slides down to the floor. Producing a familiar journal from her bag, she opens the leather bound tome. The very first page is blank, though this page was obviously not the first. remnants of pages previously torn from the book little the spine of the journal. Gathering her thoughts she writes...*

It has now been some time since I arrived in Andunor. While I am understanding more and more about the inner workings of the city, it is very complex. I have yet to find someone whom I may draw insight from. That has hampered my progress somewhat. I remain in this phase of gathering intelligence for what seems like perpetuity. I have yet to formally enter the Temple's service, nor any formal Ilythiiri House.

Some of my insights thusfar:
There are many, many slaves in Andunor. Powerful slaves at that. Home, we had slaves, though they were never allowed a weapon. Any Ilythiiri Jaluk would have considered the mere possession of a weapon by a slave grounds for immediate execution. I do not trust powerful slaves for an instant. The guardians that the Dark Mother provides me are obedient to the end. These slaves however,..

The general strength and power that the average Ilythiiri here possess is incredible. It makes joining the Temple of a House difficult to say the least. If I plan on surviving any initiations rituals, I will need to grow stronger as well. I am dedicated to this as I continue my reconnaissance.

The Ilythiiri do not control the city. I haven't quite discovered the specifics or which groups actually do hold the majority of the power here. The Ilythiiri that I have spoken with seem to avoid the issue entirely. While the fourth doctrine of Lloth tells us to consort with the lesser races, it seems as though the Ilythiiri here have lost control.

My approach has won over a handful of people here, but no one of consequence. I have always considered myself neutral. Lloth grants me her power for me to use as I see fit with furthering her causes in mind. I must not allow my personal desires influence the application of these gifts. However, I may need a more visible demonstrate my abilities. I prefer to be underestimated, I am starting to draw the negative attention of some of the more powerful females. I must show that I need to be respected, but not necessarily feared enough to warrant action. In my old settlement I was powerful enough to ward away competitors. Here,.. another story entirely.

I've managed to secure myself financially for the most part. Even renting a box in the bank for my odds and ends. Now I can focus on the next task.

I already have identified several threats. I need to find some protection. Possibly a slave in the meantime, a male for the mid term, and a house for the long term. Lloth has blessed me with her power, though that is power that other wish to have for themselves. I need to work harder.

I definitely need to work harder.

*She reflects for a few minutes on her written word. Collecting her thoughts and solidifying them in her mind before tearing the page from the journal, rising to her feet, approaching the altar to Lloth, and burning the page. As the light smoke fills the room, her eyes narrow with a newfound focus*

Normolomue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Another torn page

Post by Normolomue » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:10 pm

*Scratching out her thoughts in her journal, Elaralia sits on the cliffs overlooking the temple gardens*

What did I just witness? Not a couple cycles since the temple was ransacked, with houses positioning for power paying for its reconstruction, the Arch-priestess yields the entire ceremony to a psychopathic Yath'abban without saying one word on the matter.

And Csslynn,.. said psychopath,.. when Lloth bids us to be fearsome, she does not imply for us to be unhinged. While I disagree with Csslynn's style and probably her entire interpretation, the Arch-priestess was so weak that I question her position.

Allowing a Yath'abban to conduct the entire cerimony, ordering other priestesses like she did. It was pure theater.
Her sacrifice,.. for the second time in a row, deceiving some halfwit and expecting praise for it. I tried to help her even. She was talking of being fearsome,.. so I demonstrated with my sacrifice the power of fear and letting the rebellious elf run terrified back to the sewers where his fear would multiply among the others. I demonstrated Lloth's most important doctrine. "Abide" We abide while the fear eats away at each an every one of those vermin. Sacrificing some halfwit who has no idea what just happened, drunk on wine what fear did she demonstrate?!

In a city were your allegiances have consequences, I am not sure if aligning myself with the temple or with House Maivert is the wise choice.

Lloth grants me her power. That is undeniable. I do not need the title of Yathrin from the Arch-priestess to continue my work supporting my Dark Mother. I will think long and hard on this. If the Arch-priestess is weak, it is only a matter of time before a rival house steps in. Which side is best?

I have met worthy Drow from various houses, though I have met equally reprehensible Drow from those same houses...

What to do?
What to do?

*feeling a bit more focused after sufficiently venting, she calmly tears the page from the book and rolls it into a tight scroll, placing it in the nearby brazier pot*