Rodon Evriner - a new opportunity?

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

norderot

Rodon Evriner - a new opportunity?

Post by norderot » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:04 pm

It was a terrible voyage, but now I can see the first signs of land rising up from below the horizon. I have already spotted the first seagulls - a good sign that land is near.
The captain said there was no reason to complain about the weather, but I felt terribly seasick non the less.
The journey from Athkatla via Baldurs Gate has been long and dangerous. But there was no other way. Things had heated too much up in the city. The thought of going to a small island and stay low seemed like a good idea.
I have lived most of my life in what they call the slums and docks district. I know the streets and sewers better than most. Our neighbourhood was literally packed with dangerous criminals and other vermin, both in and below the streets. But I have learned to live with them and among them. It has been home. I know most of their strengths and their weaknesses.

My elven heritage must have given me better senses and a more quiet step than the rest of the boys. I often walk quietly about, observing and trying to take in what goes on in the neighborhood. Or I can sit quietly and observe life in the streets.
I talk little and don’t make friends easily.
Sometimes in the past people picked on me, saying bad things like that I smell like sewer or that I do dirty things with the rats. Others have threatened me for poking my nose where it doesn’t belong. So I have been forced to learn how to defend myself. I have done so in several ways, but first and foremost I am a hunter: Catch the vermin with traps, or kill them with a missile before they can reach you! When attacked, use any weapon you can find; a stone, a stick, a butter knife - anything available to you. And if they catch you off guard - run! Only to return when the odds are in your favour and you can become the hunter.

Mother died some years ago and I have no siblings. I never met my father. She told me that he is an elf, but other than that, she was very reluctant to tell anything about who he really is, or where he went. So I have been curious about the elves and who they - or we - are, their history and their gods. Mother taught me some elven and I have picked up quite a bit, both from books and from talking to the very few elves I know.

Now that we can spot land, I look forward to finding out what this island is like.
Even if I have been seasick the whole journey, I have spent some time and tamed one of the ship rats. I think I will take him ashore with me. I even named him Gux.

norderot

Re: Rodon Evriner - a new opportunity?

Post by norderot » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:54 am

Cordor harbour is really big. It stretches out along most of the city front. I’ve been told that there are ships going in all directions.
The city itself is quite big, not anything like Athkatla, but still quite all right. We docked in the Government district. I have to admit that I feel more at home downtown, near the harbour of what they call the Cultural district. The same kind of people, the same kind of sewers and the same kind of vermin. They even pay you to help control the vermin and I happily help them, just to keep things in some kind of balance.
To get paid for this is kind of new to me. I am used to live from what I can find, and what I can hunt. Now I can even afford to buy food, clean and fresh.
I am used to check everywhere for useful things I can find. You can say it is an old habit of mine. I am amazed to see all the things people just throw away in bins, barrels, baskets and crates around in the city. So I check every day for hidden treasures. Some I can sell for gold, and some I just keep because it is useful.