The Rookie

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter

The Rookie

Post by Emotionaloverload » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:01 am

[The Selfish Ghoul]

I spent a lot of my first month fighting undead. I thought it might be a fine vindication from all the necromancers that I have had to flee. I haven't been able to get this one Ghoul out of my mind

The Ghouls in the Burrows seem to have an agreement of some sort because they all cast haste on each other. Ghoul A to B, B to C and C to A. I imagine this is to ensure engagement when in combat against a single foe. Ghoul A starts the fight, is hasted. Ghoul B enters the fray, is hasted. Ghoul A breaks away to haste Ghoul C as he initiates. This guarantees that pressure will be maintained on the enemy throughout the fight instead of everyone casting haste on themselves leaving them open to attack.

However there was one Ghoul that broke this contract. He cast on himself and then Ghoul B also cast on him which left Ghoul C in the lurk. This incident has been plaguing me for days.

It is the Problem of Selfishness.

This is such a monumental problem that just thinking about it sours my mood. In order to build a good and orderly society there MUST be social contracts. There are only so many things that can be outlawed through government. While some aspects of selfishness do lend themselves to the criminal, most do not.

How do you deal with the Problem of Selfishness?

It would be naive to expect everyone to be good and altruistic. To put others before themselves. To struggle for the greater good without compensation or incentive. I'm not even talking about evil here. I do mean solely the neutral, mundane selfishness of regular people.

I'm sure that the day we met was not the Ghoul's first showing of selfishness but it was certainly his last. Maybe it could have been avoided. Could his brethren have been more vigilant against his smaller acts of selfishness? Shouldn't we all be?

I don't mean to sound strict but how do you trust someone who is selfish? Even I can understand lawlessness if it is to aid the helpless like stealing to feed the hungry but I cannot understand stealing for yourself.

Most selfishness is personal. How do you convince someone that is talented to be more altruistic? They have no incentive to. We've build our world to value getting ahead at the expensive of others. Its rewarded. So how could you possible combat something that is as fundamental and encouraged as selfishness?

I still haven't found an answer for this. I'll pray on it some more.
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Emotionaloverload

Re: The Rookie

Post by Emotionaloverload » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:57 pm

[A Progressive Mire]

I'm disappointed.

I have been interviewing with the major Orders on the island in an effort to find a place for myself. I very much wanted something traditional. It is not fair of me to be so demanding. I know what Cilian would say; “Find out why a thing is the way it is before you judge it.”

Based on my observation, the culprit is the prevalent adventurer culture. Everyone is so accustomed to broadness. To a lack of restrictions. The institutions must accommodate them or risk having to severely narrow their recruitment pool.

Still, I am disappointed.

I had hoped to find some Namers to counsel with on this decision but none have surfaced. Now I must pick from the selection given.

It is no easy task.
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:01 pm

[New Home]

“Cordor. Go to Cordor.” The Scribe said.

A feeling of relief washed over me. I knew it was the right choice from the start. The Gauntlet was the superior option. They are far more defined, far more organized. Although it meant so much more coming from him. I know that is foolish and dependant but it was such a comfort.

To Cordor then.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:38 am

[Listen to Your Elders]

I finally got a chance to sit with my Priest without incident or the world falling apart. Third time is the charm they say. I laid out the options. I was about to make my case and the Scribe's case but he just answered “Neither.”

Neither wasn't on the list. How can it be neither? It must be somewhere. Youths shouldn't take up the life of hermits. They need mentoring and camaraderie. In spite of this, I still intend to settle in within Cordor's library if possible, even if I do not settle with the Gauntlets.

Worse yet, I sat with the Knight-Commander to discuss the oaths. I was doing my utmost not to be quarrelsome but his answers did not help. Have you ever run into someone that says something wrong with the air of someone that doesn't believe they have said anything wrong? Its tiresome.

It was all cut short as I had to return to a kidnapping matter from earlier so I did not have a chance to argue on the topics but I will write them out. If not for them, then for me. I don't like to leave an argument unexpressed.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:16 pm

[Best Laid Plans]

My efforts for life in Cordor have been entirely upended through the clergy's counsel. So much so that my Helmite theological dissection has been submitted for review with my priest before release. I've settled in at the Arcane Tower for now.

Without the dissection to work on, I find a different argument settled on my attention. There was a heated debate held outside the Radiant Heart about what is considered appropriate action in victory. It is important to note that both sides of the debate took a firm cultural perspective to their answers however I would like to find a moral one instead.

The two sides were broken down into Elven and Northerner. The Elves considered Freedom to be paramount. While they did conceded that the defeated party was at the mercy of the victor, they believe that freedom and dignity needed to be maintained. The Elves took qualm with the Northerner for removing the defeated party from their native land and selling them to a labour prison in Cordor. They would have sooner sided with execution as a viable option.

The Northerners were strict in their belief that the defeated party's life was in the hands of the victor; it was the victor's choice as to what would happen to that life. They used the criminal acts of the defeated party to justify their actions suggesting that the foul nature of the individual lessened the responsibility to offer them dignity. The Northerners considered death to be a graver punishment than imprisonment. In prion the defeated would have the option to work off their crimes, change and return home one day.

This is a spectacular dilemma. If your enemy is vile or monstrous, are you suddenly exempt from your virtues? If it is true that to the victor goes the spoils then how can we find fault in actions taken after brute force succeeds?

The Northerners may have sold that man into what is essentially slavery since he may never change. Especially if his actions are considered appropriate in his region. It is no secret that conquering or raiding is considered a viable and encouraged option in some other cultures. That does not make it right but it certainly makes it less likely that such individuals will be swayed into believing their behaviour is wrong.

There was no clarity offered when the sale of the individual was made. The Northerners cannot be sure of the sentence, of the conditions at the prison or the options for release. It may very well be forever in spite of any changes of heart.

Even if there is no change of heart should one pay for their crimes forever? If you have done vile things, does this mean you must be removed from civil life forever? Where do we draw the line for appropriate punishment? It is something I must pray on.

I truly believe that enemies or victory should not dissolve our virtues. Our virtues are not situational. We may fail in our attempts to be virtuous but we should not actively cast them aside. Some might say that it is needed to deter evil but in doing so we only risk ourselves.

Your actions speak for you, even in victory.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:55 pm

[Up for Debate]

I delivered my oath dissection to the Helmites. I have a distinct feeling that they will take it the wrong way. Perhaps I should have left a note offering consultation at the Church of Oghma. Its too late now. Sadly.

I have been requested by the Tower to develop arguments against dangerous magic. I am currently focused on animation and already I have found contention with one of their sanctioned text. I intend to speak with the clergy before going to fight the text. I am curious what they will say but I suspect that I will not be surprised by the response.

You would think that out of everyone, mages would know how to make an argument.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:13 pm

[Use Your Words]

Cilian would always say that “if someone is so very sure in their words then you must find out why. To dismiss them as stupid or lesser does them and yourself a disservice.”

I spoke with the Priest today. I don't know what I expected. Perhaps some truly illuminating statement that would make the problems dug up at the Knights of the Road clear to me in a way that I had not considered them.

I really do not mean to be quarrelsome. I did my utmost to be pleasant and quiet while I was in the meeting with them. It serves little purpose to argue off the cuff of emotion unless there is present and immediate harm to others that warrants your reaction.

I must admit that the flippant disregard for words put me on my heels. It was like some dark theatre that I had fallen into with performances and clapping yet no one seemed as moved as I. It did make me feel that I was rather terribly in the wrong company.

The Priest is so sure in his position and so I must be in mine.