Caged Bird: Robin Pryce

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Robin Pryce

Caged Bird: Robin Pryce

Post by Robin Pryce » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:45 pm

((Click image for portrait files.))

Even the places where light shone were dark.

The half-elf stared at the wall as she lay on her front, head turned to one side. She winced as the felt the fresh wounds scarring across her back.

She closed her eyes.

"I have been such a fool."

She remembered the air as it was above, fresh and light, full of promise. She had only arrived on the island of Arelith a tenday hence. How much had changed in that time?

She had been single-minded in her purpose. They had all known that something was wrong; she, and all her fellows and friends who had known Darvin Evenwood so well. He had left for the island without telling them why, but he had promised he would write.

Darvin was a man who kept his promises, yet no letters ever came.

They told her it was foolish to pursue him, so Robin went alone. Was it because she felt better than them? Kinder or wiser than them? No... it was her heart that led her.

The half-elf recalled when Darvin first entered her heart. How she had concealed her blushes in her magical tomes and dared not to speak of her feelings. When he had said his goodbyes, her heart urged the words she wished to speak towards her mouth, but she pressed her lips shut, refusing to share them. What would telling him have accomplished, save to embarrass her? He would not have changed his mind.

In the weeks and months since his departure, her spirit sank in regret. She wished to return to those moments where the truth had not been spoken, so that she might be bolder, more daring. She stole away, paying most of what she had to secure passage to Arelith.

She had no leads, but she knew Darvin. She knew how he would respond to all that she faced. If she could act as he did, surely it would lead her to him.

She remembered walking the cobbled roads, searching, searching.
The voice.
The plea for help.

Darvin always helped. He was always kind and giving. And so the half-elf agreed, following the helmet-wearing woman through the caves.

She remembered the kobolds falling before her mysterious companion.
She remembered the scorpions scuttling close to her feet.
She remembered the people who appeared behind them, keeping their distance. Yet the half-elf did not know why.

One of the scorpions lunged forward, dragging the half-elf to the ground, where all sight stopped.

She remembered waking. The darkness. The faces. The bars...

Her companion did not wear a helmet now.
The half-elf eyes widened.

Two of the faces that watched her now belonged to Drow.
Fear gripped the half-elf's heart.

She took in the figures of her captors as her prior companion, Vierna, told the half-elf that she would serve. That if she did not serve, she would be offered up by others in sacrifice.

Then she saw it.
A yarting hung at Vierna's side, smeared with blood.
As the half-elf fixed her green gaze upon it with increasing intensity, she saw in her mind's eye as she had seen it before, in the hands of dear Darvin.

"Where... did you get that?" She spoke slowly, as though fearing the answer.

Vierna's lips curled into a smug smile. "A minstrel sought to try and kill me. A minstrel by the name of Darvin Evenwood. I killed him, instead.. and took his instrument as a trophy and a symbol of my triumph."

The half-elf's heart screamed.

"No! No... you didn't kill him! Tell me you are lying, that you didn't.... didn't..." The half-elf sank to her knees as she sobbed.

"How do I know his name then, my sweet Robin?" Vierna clicked her tongue. "I did wonder who those unfinished letters in his pack were directed towards. I suppose now I have my answer." The half-elf saw the bloodied pages, glimpsed at Darvin's handwriting upon them, but then they were snatched away. "Indeed.. but I don't think I'm interested in sharing them with someone who seeks only death. Now, if you served me.. and willingly, I could at least permit you the chance to honor his memory and share with you what he composed."

What choice do I have?

The half-elf remembered the ritual conducted to secure her. The spider at her neck. The blood. The doll in her likeness. She remembered the many faces she saw as Vierna displayed her, proud of her prey. She remembered the other slave she saw, the brief hope in her heart for someone she might be able to call a friend. She remembered his unmoving stares, as though he were a statue, and they haunted her.

She had struggled in her service. What else could she expect? She served the one who had taken Darvin's life.
But Vierna was right. She wished to honour him. But would he even recognise the Robin who lay here now?

She felt again the sting of the whip on her back, her eyes misting with tears.

"Darvin," she whispered in the dark, "forgive me."
Last edited by Robin Pryce on Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently playing: Robin Pryce, half-elf wizard.

Robin Pryce

Re: Caged Bird: Robin Pryce

Post by Robin Pryce » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:00 pm

Beyond the gentle light of the sun, almost a year's worth of cycles had rolled on in the Underdark.

Robin keenly felt that distance from sunlight now. She lay upon her bed, staring up at the ceiling. Her hair, once a bright, maintained mop of red, had turned lank and limp. When she bowed or stood beside her mistress, gaze pointed at the floor, she bent like a wilted rose. Her skin was paling, flaking like old paint in a neglected room.

These things no longer troubled Robin as deeply as they once did. No, what troubled her was the heavy chill that pressed against her chest. She closed her eyes, the events of cycles both recent and distant past flooding her mind.

She saw the cruelty in her mistress's eyes as she lifted the flame close to Darvin's letters, threatening to burn them for the half-elf's errors. She saw the satisfied sneers and smiles of the audience of her mistress's play as the dying slaves bled out before them; her heart screamed. She felt again the far-less permanent punishment her role had seen her endure, as she was pelted with rotten fungi, staining the costume she had laboured to create. The insignificant insults levelled against her each cycle coalesced into a mantle of self-loathing, covering her entire body.

She reached deep to find an anchor, forcing aside the painful memories in search of pleasant ones. The night that Vierna had first agreed to share one of Darvin's lost songs came to mind first. Though the memory was altered by the recollection of its singer, she had dwelt so often upon the words he left behind that she had written the entire piece upon her heart.

Hair like fire, it burns like my desire.. for you.. for you..
Without you, I tire.. I feel trapped within a mire.. it's true, it's true!
My passion for you, it shall never die! It shall never sink, it shall soar, it shall fly.. !
No matter the distance, no matter the length.. we shall be reunited one day, this I do not think..
I know.. I know..!
Hair like fire.. it burns like my desire, for you..

As she thought upon each word, she saw Darvin's face, imagining how the words would sound from his mouth. But as she thought, and saw, and imagined, the face changed. This one had eyes of azure blue, flecked with gold. As she tried to force the memory from her mind, it grew. She remembered the sound of his voice as he had offered kind words, words she had drunk in like a heady wine to escape the dark. His warmth as she woke from a needed slumber while he kept watch. She remembered how she looked at his mouth as the shadows loomed over them. But it was not for her to kiss, and he was not for her to embrace.

It was Robin's lot, it seemed, to care most deeply for those who could not do the same for her. And so she held to the dreams of that shared love never given voice, and to the imaginings she dwelt upon of the one who remained her friend, consuming them like that same heady wine - knowing that the reprieve they granted now would come at the price of the aches and spiritual thirst that followed.

Robin Pryce

Re: Caged Bird: Robin Pryce

Post by Robin Pryce » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:11 am

As her first year of servitude passed, Robin prayed for an ending. An end to her mistress’s grasp upon her beloved Darvin’s heart. An end to the dreams that distorted his features, so that he resembled two loves denied her. An end to the loneliness that plagued her most cycles, with only those creatures bound to her by spell-craft for company. Most of the eyes upon her were baleful, for her mother’s blood coursed through her veins.

There had been brief reprieve. Shortly before her first year in Vierna Melezzir’s service had passed, she was permitted a single day in the sun; a reward for her loyalty. She drank in the sunlight as the desert wanderer slakes his thirst at the oasis. She gazed heavens-ward, straining her neck to admire the sea of clouds and the azure of the firmament. For a time, she comforted herself with the knowledge that her kin and her friends looked upon the same sun, and that in one sense, they were reunited. She prayed that her ageing father’s sight had not yet faded, and that his mind remained his. She prayed that her mother had not been driven mad with grief for her disappearance. Had Robin known where to go, she would have sent a letter to be borne home across the sea.

The day had passed quickly, and before long she was in the dark below once more. The cycles blurred together. One such cycle, she went to find her mistress, and upon finding her, Robin froze. Beside her mistress, she saw a face she knew. The clamp at his neck. The wicked smile in her mistress’s eyes.

“No...”

She had feared that her friends across the sea had forgotten her and Darvin. That forever their fates would remain unknown. Here, she was assured of their remembrance, and with this realisation came yet more guilt.

Chalcan had been away when Robin departed for Arelith on her doomed quest. But now, not as a hazy spectre from another life, but in flesh and chains, he now appeared. Below the earth. Beyond the sun. Stripped of his freedom.

He embraced her, and holding him fast, she wept. Vierna’s smile grew.

Below, the world was twisted, and so came a twisted answer to her prayer. As with all the joys Robin was granted, its aftertaste was bitter, and left her heart sore.