Archamus' Published Works

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

wulfburk

Archamus' Published Works

Post by wulfburk » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:26 pm

Book: THE HISTORY OF THE WAR OF 164 AR
Subtitle: Brogendenstein’s role in the defeat of the Demilich Ophelia

The first page of this thick book is blank, except for the drawing in ink of the Clan Schelen insignia, a hammer and anvil below the outline of a mountain range. Above this symbol, Archamus Schelen is written in Dethek runes.

The second page has the following written on it: First edition, published by the Dominion of Brogendenstein in Nightal of year 165 AR, authored by Archamus of clan Schelen and Hala of clan Runebraid. The following book is the result of a year long research taken by the two aforementioned authors, where over fifteen individuals were interviewed.

TABLE OF CONTENT
CH.I The state of the Dominion of Brogendenstein from the coronation of Thane Falgrim of clan Vintergard to the commencement of the War against Ophelia
CH.II Causes of the War - The Fall of Light Keep - The passing of Mila Brown
CH.III War is begun - First Battle of Benwick - Allies of Convenience - Second Battle of Benwick
CH.IV Camp Young - Raid on the Arcane Tower - Battle of Brogendenstein’s Gates
CH.V Battle on the Weatherstone - Third and Final Battle of Benwick
-------------
The following are three excerpts, one of each of the last three chapters.

CH.III War is begun - First Battle of Benwick - Allies of Convenience - Second Battle of Benwick

(...)
There was a lull in the fighting until the month of Kythorn. Ever vigilant, Thane Falgrim had ordered active patrols in the borders of the Dominion, and indeed elsewhere, such as in Minmir and in the Arelith Forest. It was in one of these patrols that Drillmaster Borik, Overseer Embrek and kin Krovul Boarmaster encountered a mustering of colossal undead in Minmir. Initially, they assumed they were undead from the Endless Battlefield, brought far from their graves by retreating adventurers.

This hypothesis was soon put to rest, however, as it was clear the undead were instead attacking from the south, the tree line of the Arelith Forest slowly darkening itself. As the battle went on, some paladins of the Radiant Heart joined with the dwarves, while shortly after the Minmir Cult of Banites deployed to the field, and indeed they marched in line towards the Arelith Forest. Their leader, one called [CLASSIFIED], addressed his men as follows:
Followers of Bane, our latest wars which may have made some of you afraid of the one now in prospect, really gives no just ground for apprehension. Preparation for the war against the dwarves a decade ago, as you know, there was little enough; and the object of our voyage with Cordor into Minmir was not so much to fight as a bluff of force. Besides this, the chances of war were largely against us; and perhaps also inexperience had something to do with our failure in our battle. It was not, therefore, cowardice that produced our defeat, nor ought the determination which force has not quelled, but which still has a word to say with its adversary, to lose its edge from the result of an accident; but admitting the possibility of a chance miscarriage, we should know that strong hearts must be always strong, and while they remain so can never put forward inexperience as an excuse for misconduct.

Nor are you so behind the dwarves in experience as you are ahead of them in courage; and although the science of your opponents would, if valour accompanied it, have also the presence of mind to carry out at in emergency the lesson it has learnt, yet a faint heart will make all art powerless in the face of danger. For fear takes away presence of mind, and without valour art is useless. Against their superior experience set your superior daring, and against the fear induced by defeat the fact of your having been then unprepared; remember, too, that you have always the advantage of superior numbers, and of engaging off your own lands, supported by your own undead; and as a rule, numbers and equipment give victory.

At no point, therefore, is defeat likely against these undead from the Arelith Forest, and let us show the dwarves the true might of the Banites, as we do what they cannot; and as for our previous mistakes, the very fact of their occurrence will teach us better for the future. Soldiers may, therefore, confidently attend to their several duties, none quitting the station assigned to them: as for ourselves, we promise to prepare for the engagement at least as well as your previous commanders, and to give no excuse for any one misconducting himself. Should any insist on doing so, he shall meet with the punishment he deserves, while the strong shall be honoured with the appropriate rewards of victory.
Such was the exhortation of the Banite commander as he led his forces to the Arelith Forest, in his attempt to single-handedly defeat the Demilich. The three dwarves, as well as a mage Azalea and a knight Darius Tristram, followed the banites, keeping an eye on their foulness. When they were about to enter Benwick, the Banites threatened the others, saying that no one else was allowed to enter, and if they attempted battle would begin, not against the undead, but between them and the Banites. Overseer Embrek thus responded:
I have often before now been convinced that Banites are incapable of honour, and never more so than by your present decision in the matter of Benwick. Your own plots being unknown to you in your daily relations with each other, you feel just the same with regard to all others, and never reflect that the mistakes into which you may be led by listening to Bane, or by giving way to your own misjudged codes, are full of danger to yourselves, and bring you no thanks for your weakness from your peers; entirely forgetting that your army is a rabble and your subjects disaffected conspirators, whose obedience is ensured not by your own leadership, but by fear of the unknown.

The most alarming feature in the case is the constant change of measures with which we, Brogendenstein’s dwarves, appear to be threatened. In order to ensure an informed course of action from yourselves, i proceed to show that no one state has ever injured you as much as Brogendenstein, and that if you wish open battle here and now, you’ll find yourself as unprepared as you were decades ago, and that Brogendenstein’s might has instead increased tenfold. Let you now therefore be punished as your crime requires.

After a moment of hesitation, the Banites lowered their weapons (...)

CH.IV Camp Young - Raid on the Arcane Tower - Battle of Brogendenstein’s Gates

(...)
Though they were arrogant and overconfident, they correctly assumed that Brogendenstein was the greatest threat to their interests, and thus the most numerous undead horde was launched upon the Dominion, them rising from elsewhere and thus escaping the blockade of Benwick from Camp Young, where the majority of the isle’s forces were deployed. This attack surprised the Brogendenstein militia, and the undead conquered the Nexus Falls at first, and the Thousand Stairs shortly after. A few hours into battle, the horde was by the very gates of Brogendenstein, and the Mead Maiden Aila of clan Vintergard, seeing that no Kuldarn official was present or the Thane, took command of the defences in the Gates.

Aila, seeing the militia dejected and greatly altered, passed along the ranks and encouraged and comforted them as far as was possible under the circunstances, raising her voice higher and higher as she went from one company to another in her earnestness, and in her anxiety that the benefit of her words might reach as many as possible:
Samman and allies, even in our present position we must still hope on, since warriors have ere now been saved from worse straits than this; and you must not condemn yourselves too severely either because of your retreat from the Thousand Stairs or because of your present unmerited sufferings. I myself who am not superior to any of you in strength - indeed you see how I am not a warrior of the Kuldarn - and who in the gifts of fortune am, I think, whether in private life or otherwise, the equal of any, am now exposed to the same danger as the meanest among you; and yet my life has been one of much devotion toward the gods, and of much justice and without offence toward others. I have, therefore, still a strong hope for the future, and our misfortunes do not terrify me as much as they might. Indeed we may hope that they will be lightened: our enemies have had good fortune enough; and if any of the Morndinsamman was offended at our retreat, we have been already amply punished.

Others before us have withdrawed upon seeing such an undead horde without suffering more than they could bear; and we may now justly expect to find the Morndinsamman more kind, for we have become fitter objects for their pity than their contempt. And then look at yourselves, mark the numbers and efficiency of the samman marching in your ranks, and do not give way too much to despondency, but reflect that you are yourselves at once a fortress wherever you sit down, and that there is no other in Arelith that could easily breach your walls, or expel you when once established. The safety and security of the shield wall is for yourselves to look to; the one thought of each samman being that the spot on which he may be forced to fight must be conquered and held as his country and stronghold.

Meanwhile we shall defend the Gates night and day alike, as our provisions are scanty; and if we can resist until the Kuldarn arrives, you may forthwith consider yourselves safe. A message has been sent on to them. To sum up, be convinced, militia, that you must be brave, as there is no place near for your cowardice to take refuge in, and that if you now escape from the enemy, you may all see again what your hearts desire, while those of you who are samman will raise up again the great power of the Golden Halls, fallen though it may come to be. Samman make the Golden Halls, and not walls or barricades without dwarves in them.
As she made this address, Aila went along the ranks, and brought back to their place any of the militia that she saw straggling out of the line. Though not a military officer, her words kindled the hearts of the defenders, and she herself was forged anew by the grace of the Morndinsamman, and it was as if the defenders were led by Thane Falgrim himself. (...)

CH.V Battle on the Weatherstone - Third and Final Battle of Benwick

(...)
This state of affairs continued until dawn of day 11 of Eleint, when at last the other divisions had arrived on the other side of the blocked doorway into the room. A coordinated effort started, both the Brogendenstein division and the others attempting to clear the rubble. Though those on the outside used powderkegs, they were not enough, and the dwarven line kept being attacked by the two Demiliches. It was then that Quartermaster Eddie produced an explosive device, and after igniting it, the rubble was cleared. Over fifteen humans, elves, halflings and gnomes arrived and joined forces with Brogendenstein. Below the dwarven line there were over a hundred undead corpses.

Ophelia, watching the tide turn against her, offered her deal once more, as follows. She did not move, but her words were heard by all:
Within this hall, all that you touch and all that you see is all your lives will ever be. No things of steel, mithril, adamantine, fire, or else, can breach my defences, nor can things of magic sway me from my course. I was not unprepared for the resistance of which i have been the object. For those of course who have a free choice in the matter and do not follow blindly their leaders, war is the greatest of follies. And if the only choice was danger in resisting and instead having your entire isle be brought to oblivion; and submission with the hope of preserving your lands, in such a case it is he who will not accept the negligible injury of loss of independence that deserves blame, not he who will. The offer is made, and it shall not be made again. Offer yourselves to me, and the glory and honour of Brogendenstein, Guldorand, Cordor and Bendir Dale shall not be diminished, while your lands shall be kept safe under the rulership of Ophelia and the Twisted Rune.
As before, all were quick to refuse her, except [CLASSIFIED] The astray samman stepped forth from the line, and ignored the calls of his kin. [CLASSIFIED] addressed the gathered: (...)

END OF EXCERPT

Stratonike Silvbriga
Archamus Schelen
Demetrius Herhtov