Spirit Walker

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Fume

Spirit Walker

Post by Fume » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:27 pm

And so it was that I came upon this place young of heart and body. Long ago, so long long ago now. Like another world, I look upon through the mists of my memories.
It happened then, I still dont know why, but I only know it did.
A young man of strong build and skilled at the blade, I joined the ranks of the Black claw mercenary group, hoping to make a name for myself in this world of endless peril and war.

And so it was that we were ordered to march upon a settlement in the dark forest, a band of outcasts and elves mostly. Or so we were told. They had chosen to squat upon the land of one particularly spitefull Baron. Or so we were told. Later I discovered the baron had claimed the lands for himself and sought to cleanse it of any other claiments, regardless of how long theyd been there, but these are the ways of the world.

Despite our 50 strong force, our armour, training and weapons of steel were no match for this elusive enemy, who cut us down from the shadows with arrows and sneak attacks as we struggled to engage them through the twisting thicket.

When all was said and done and my comrades all lay dead, I found it peculiar that this invisible enemy didnt even loot our corpses, just left us to the forest where we fell, to rot, or worse.

Propped up against a tree, I looked upon what remained of my 50 strong patrol as I too slowly bled out from the barbed arrows that had mortally wounded and poisoned me.
Unlike the others, I was unlucky, stricken but not killed, it was my fate to slowly succumb to my wounds, I estimated a few days of fever and wretched pain before my final breath brought me releif.
Oh the pain was unbearable as my wounds festered and blood boiled from the poison. I cried out but none came to aid me.

It was the second day of my ordeal, I roused  groggily to the sound of a twig snapping, and there before stood a wolf of dire dimensions, baring its teeth as it surveyed me.

My sword still in my bloody hand I looked at the beast. Clever it was, it knew of the ways of men, for it seemed to be wary of the weapons potential to do it harm.

No more fight in me, I coughed blood as I raised my weapon. The wolf took a step back as i threw the blade away. This appeared to surprise the beast, it tilted its head curiously a moment as I bared my neck to it and called to it.
End my misery, I beg of you. Take what remains of my life and bring me peace.

The wolf approached, teeth bared. I beckoned it, yearning for the release its jaws offered of the agony i felt. It approached till we were eye to eye. I stared into its cold blue eyes, and it stared back at mine, straight into my soul.

I began to feel a strange bond of knowing forming, no words were spoken but I came to realise that this creature was not what I saw.
It was a...lady of the forest, in wolf form, a shape shifter.
As I lost consciousness I knew that she was going to help me, why, to this day, I have no idea.

I awoke some days later, at the edge of the forest, my wounds dressed, my bloodied armour washed and cleaned. The spirits of the forest had chosen to let me live, even when I yearned for death.
As I glanced back one last time into the forest, I could feel her, nay, them watching.
From that day on, the spirits seemed to follow me. It seems said a wizard I confided in regarding this most unusual event, that the spirits had chosen me. To what end, he remained unsure.