Stepping Down

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Stepping Down

Post by MalKalz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:01 am

Arelith has been a part of my life since the age of twelve. It had its moments of unimaginable fun and its rocky moments as well - this can be translated both into playing Arelith and then later being a part of the team for the past two and a half years. Arelith had always been that place for me to escape the real world and enjoy myself. Eventually that enjoyment turned to helping the community. However, for the past while, that has not been the case and my own mental health has turned as a result of it. And, in light of that, I will be stepping back from all responsibilities and duties on the administrative team. The difficult part is trying to put it all into words as to why I've decided to do this of my own choosing; however, I'll do my best for those who care to read.

When I had first joined the team, and up to this date, I kept to the same mandate which was that the efforts that I have put in, alongside the efforts of the team, were in the best interest of Arelith to preserve an environment of fun and safety. This meant correcting and addressing any spots that did not meet this. I would like to think that I have done that, even though some may believe we stepped on toes in the process of this. Or have not maintained what we have set out to do. And, I apologize if people felt that this was the case.

Sadly sometimes changes will result in the loss of fun. Not everything changed in the world will reflect what we ideally want, and that is part of the learning curve. The development team is trying to improve things, twist things and make things more fun. They are receptive of fair and constructive criticism. The hostility and the threats and the poor choices of behaviour is very unbecoming of anyone. And, I sincerely wish the team well with addressing the changes that need fixing (in my opinion, there are some areas of improvement) and handling the feedback. I also sincerely wish the players to evaluate their conduct and way they approach people. It is honestly a thankless job being in a position where you volunteer your time and are just faced with some strong negativity from groups of players. Thankfully majority of the community is positively approaching things and handling changes with the right mentality and approach.

Stepping back was not an easy choice. I had no desire to ever be in this position; however, my mental health is important. I had noticed that over the last few months that I have had less motivation, I've smiled less and been less energetic to do something in my day. And, I do not want this to continue to impact not only myself but my family, friends and significant other. Which is why it is best to remove the negativity and refocus myself to continue enjoying what I do for work and the time I spend with the people closest in my life.

It is, however, unfortunate that it got to this point. I had always put up and tolerated commentary. I had always tried my best to shrug off negative comments thrown at me. However, eventually, things progressed worse and worse and those comments kept echoing back to chip away at what armor I had tried to build myself. What time and effort I put in on my spare time, while working 12 hour shifts, lead to comments that I was useless. Lead to comments that I should just give up. And, worst of all, there have been comments suggesting myself and other members of this team just go and die or kill ourselves. And, I hope that the people that are spreading these commentary learn to either keep comments to themselves or to treat people better. No one deserves to be spoken to like that, or spoken behind their back like that. Because I can promise you that stuff you say in Discord does get circulated and passed back to us.

But, there is a point where you just can't find the motivation or enjoyment to keep going. Which is where I am at at this point.

So I wish everyone well. I wish the DM team and development team well in continuing to keep Arelith going and the community to remain positive and collectively work together to keep Arelith together. Without you, Arelith is not possible.

Best of luck.

Sean

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.