Printing books

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Plonkers

Printing books

Post by Plonkers » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:56 pm

I'll get right to it, I have as of late been tinkering with the printing of books (not anything official just toying with it) and I came to the thought that since the printing machine only prints one kind of book cover (or so it has been for me at least)

If possible, comebine a otherwise unused trinket namely the color dyes with the printing process in a way that if you put in a red dye you would print a red book like the one used for jagal.

I think it would add a little bit flavor to it and it may get people more interested in making books.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Printing books

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:30 pm

I think I can help here.

The printing press doesn’t just copy the interior of the book you want, it also copies the exterior of the book, the ‘appearance’ as it were. And whilst you can make and describe your own books via the crafting method, you can also just redescribe existing books.

Step 1) Find a book you like the look of in one of the bookshelves – the one with the cover you desire for your own. (Say the red book used for jergal)
Step 2) Weight Reduce the book
Step 3) Using the ‘Change Description’ option on the Enchantment Basin, put whatever content you want in the book. (e.g. 1001 Ways to Cook A Dragon)
Step 4) Put that book, a blank book, ink, and a woodcut in the press and activate it

You should end up with a copy of the original, a red book, like the jergalite one, with 1001 Ways to Cook a Dragon.

Sadly – this method only works for books. It cannot be reproduced for notebooks, so your suggestions stands up for anyone wanting more verity of those.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)