Incentive to recycle characters

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Incentive to recycle characters

Post by Liareth » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:49 am

It would be nice if there were some incentive to recycle characters that have undergone significant thematic or mechanical changes to the extent that relevelling (without a full remake) may result in a significantly changed character that players may no longer wish to play. In cases where a relevel might be offered, we could, additionally, offer an incentive to delete the character.

Possible incentives could include:
  • One-off bonuses to a new character. For example, double experience gains until you hit level 21.
  • An increase to reward chance for that character's deletion. For example, a 5% increased chance to get a major reward.
A change like this could take the edge off what might otherwise be a disastrous thematic or mechanical hit. It would encourage players to retire old characters and create new ones, which is, IMO, always a good thing. It could tie into the existing framework for tracking mechanical changes and applying relevels.

DM Axis

Re: Incentive to recycle characters

Post by DM Axis » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:34 pm

So you want to reward people that specifically made characters because they knew they were optimal and got changed, knowing full well that there are lots of classes, lots of niches for those various classes still all going on at the same time as everyone else. And the class isn't gone, the characters don't end, but because of a power shift people aren't interested in playing the character because they can't just slap people around for their narrative with minimal push back due to the power gap?
"It is evil things we shall be fighting against, brute force, bad faith, injustice, oppression and persecution."
- Minister Neville Chamberlain 1939
Discord Contact : DM Axis#2344

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:47 pm

DM Axis wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:34 pm
So you want to reward people that specifically made characters because they knew they were optimal and got changed, knowing full well that there are lots of classes, lots of niches for those various classes still all going on at the same time as everyone else. And the class isn't gone, the characters don't end, but because of a power shift people aren't interested in playing the character because they can't just slap people around for their narrative with minimal push back due to the power gap?
That is the most pessimistic interpretation of my idea that assumes the worst of everyone involved, yes . A more optimistic one might be: I think it would be a compassionate gesture to reward players whose characters, which often reflect a time investment of hundreds or even thousands of hours, have been changed in a way that drastically alters their mechanical strength or identity. It's a way of communicating, "yeah, we know this sucks, it sucks for us, too, but we have to do this. We're not out to get you!" I do acknowledge that some of the people you indicate would benefit from this too. Personally, I'd consider that acceptable.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:09 pm

I think it would be hard to judge just who is affected, and with Spyre offering level 1 rebuilds with this latest update, I really don't think it is needed.

Rejected.