Good Hope Duration

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Adam Antium

Good Hope Duration

Post by Adam Antium » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:04 pm

Since it's had the AB and damage buff removed, and is now just +2 saves/skills, can we make it turns/level instead of rounds/level?

Currently, a 4th level Bard-exclusive spell, War Cry, gives +2 AB and damage, along with an AoE fear effect (granted, it's not usually used that way, but it has it). It, also, is rounds/level. Good Hope is basically "War Cry but with more stuff and at a lower level and without the pointless Fear effect." As originally made, yes, it was way too potent, it was basically every UMD build's wet dream (you know I'm gonna make wands out of that spell).

However if it's just +2 saves/skills, that's much weaker, much more in line with the animal spells that boost your individual stats for turns/level. Those are split up between 6 different spells, but all can buff your modifier in any stat by up to +3 if you're at an odd number and roll a 5, and all last for hours/level, and all are very low level and easy to come by in potion and wand form.

A spell that adds +2 to saves, and +2 to skills, isn't game breakingly powerful, and rounds/level for something like that is a bit of an unnecessary requirement I think. The only time it would ever be usefully used as-is would be with a very high caster level and Extend Spell (and that would only last 4-6 minutes at most, while using up a 4th level slot which can otherwise be used for War Cry or Improved Invisibility), or, if you were to use it in wand or potion or non-extended form, it would only ever be used at the outset of combat to give +2 saves, which is a nice but not gigantic boost, and honestly in most cases probably not worth taking a round to give yourself in the midst of a difficult fight.

Currently I can only really think of it as being useful if it were lowered in level to make it a cheap potion/wand, or make it turns/level. I'm more a fan of turns/level. I think we have enough potion chugging as-is.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Good Hope Duration

Post by Irongron » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:25 pm

Will need more input, as I'm not so familar with this one.

Irongron

Re: Good Hope Duration

Post by Irongron » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:00 pm

Rejected as did not receive any further input on this suggestion.