Mounted Fighting

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Twohand
Community Manager
Community Manager

Mounted Fighting

Post by Twohand » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:53 pm

Not sure how balanced this is, but to make riding less of a novelty skill, an idea occurred me. What if having a weapon focus on melee weaponry or weapon focus on ranged weaponry gave you for free Mounted Combat and Mounted Archery respectively for investing a certain amount of points into the Ride skill?

Two examples: When Bob the Arcane Archer reaches 20 (could be a different number, of course) hard points on Ride, he gets for free Mounted Archery because, as an Arcane Archer, he has the Weapon Focus (Missile) feat. Joe, on the other hand, is a Fighter with Weapon Focus (one-handed edged), so as soon as he invests that same 20 points on Ride, he gets Mounted Combat for free.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Mounted Fighting

Post by Irongron » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:24 pm

That At first glance this seem like a really nice idea, given it reward a high ride investment.

The problem, as I see it, is that many players won't know this, and hence often find they wasted a feat by selecting these options early.

With that mind, I'm going to reject, but wouldn't mind similar small bonuses to mounted weapon use at high ride levels.

Rejected.