Champions of Torm should be Divine Champs of all Gods

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

versus

Champions of Torm should be Divine Champs of all Gods

Post by versus » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:46 pm

Hello, I wanted to ask that the Champion of Torm class be permissible for characters of all deities.

As I understand it, NWN's Champion of Torm is just the pen & paper game's Divine Champion class, a class intended for champions of all gods good and evil, that has been restricted to a single deity by the game developers. For them it kinda makes some sense, since the campaign was clearly intended for good-leaning characters, but Arelith has more story-telling options than the OC. I think we can all agree that opening the class up to other goodly deities was a step in the right direction, but one that was still a step short of whom the class was intended for - all alignments - and without knowing the history behind the decision to open it up to some but not all deities, the partial restriction just seems kinda arbitrary.

Rather than write an essay, I thought I'd save us all some time and abbreviate some key arguments below:
  • It would better reflect pen & paper: Champion of Torm is supposed to be Divine Champion, which exists for all deity alignments in actual D&D
  • Haven't really seen any reasona articulated for why it shouldn't be like that
  • The "balance" in class options between good and evil in the divine/melee space is off and could be said to favor good: paladins and blackguards kinda cancel (but one could argue not really), and there are both good and evil fighters/clerics/knights etc, but Divine Champs are kind of a (the) stand-out class and only available on the one side
  • Big payoff for low cost: I think it would make a number of players happy with little work on your part, and without introducing any new balance issues since it isn't new content
  • I'd personally be okay with having Smite Evil replaced with something else or removed entirely (the class is strong without it) if Smite Infidel can't be scripted
  • It would be really cool of you

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Champions of Torm should be Divine Champs of all Gods

Post by Irongron » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:15 am

This has been raised before, but while we may consider it in future for now I do not to rework this class for evil alignments.

Rejected.