Rename Drow to Dark Elf

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Rename Drow to Dark Elf

Post by Aniel » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:57 am

Drow is a racial slur to describe the descendants of dark elves, the word itself originating from dhaerow which in Elven means traitor. A drow thinking of themselves as a drow seems a bit silly as a general concept in that they probably wouldn't call themselves by an insult thrust upon them by surface elves.

They'd be more likely to call themselves ilythiiri, meaning of Ilythiir, the country that dark elves originate from and lost in the Crown Wars. It seems it'd be more appropriate to rename the race to dark elf to better reflect how they'd generally view themselves.

The reason why I feel this is for the best is due to a lot of players not understanding the more obscure/intricate parts of the setting's lore. From my experience it's very common for the players of this race to not know anything related to dark elf or Ilythiir which leads to some very frequent immersion breaking RP when everyone solely refers to them as drow, including themselves.

Thanks for reading.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Rename Drow to Dark Elf

Post by Irongron » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:20 am

Drow really is the common term among not only ourselves, but the wider D&D community, I really see no need to change it.

Rejected.