Discipline reconsidered

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Vespidae

Discipline reconsidered

Post by Vespidae » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:55 am

Alright there's probably a load of balance issues I haven't considered while thinking this through, but I think the framework for it has merit even if the numbers don't.

Saves against spells are typically made against one of the three derived attributes: Fortitude, Will, Reflex. Knockdown and other combat skills are resisted entirely by the Discipline skill, which you either put ranks into or you don't. A lot of classes have to cross-class to deal with them, particularly knockdown, while they'll usually be good at resisting at least one type of spell.

I imagined a system where resistance to knockdown scaled with level, didn't require a cross-class (but could still benefit from it), and favoured mundane classes over magical:

Resisting any of Knockdown, Disarm, Called Shot (plus any others I've forgotten would be done by:
Character level / 2 + Fortitude + Disclipline / 5 (ranks, fighter bonus and skills only)

Resisting Knockdown alone can also be done with:
Character level / 2 + Reflex + Tumble / 5 (as above)
so if your reflex is higher you'd use it to resist KD and your Fortitude would resist the rest.

This means that Rogues and Bards can get a reasonable bonus to resisting these abilities, but that anything using Fortitude will have an advantage as they'd be resistant to the other abilities.

This should probably mean that ranks put into Discipline do something else as well as help resist abilities. I think perhaps if you get a bonus save to Mind Affecting for every 7 or 8(?) points in Discipline (including ranks, skills, fighter bonuses, gear and STR bonus). It's thematically appropriate for Discipline, and gives Mundane classes a bonus against Magic classes that they seem to need.

I expect that people would still find powerbuilds for this method (maths may need tweaking for balance) but at least it evens out the playing field a bit?

If it disadvantages Mages too much, maybe they could get a bonus to their 'Resist score' based on buffs, or even a new spell. Make it so that it can be dispelled without too much effort but still some (i.e near the top of the Breach list but not -at- the top).
Playing: Tal

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Discipline reconsidered

Post by Irongron » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:53 am

I don't think we need yet more ways to boost saves, and while this suggestion has clearly been carefully considered I'm not keep to revisit any core systems so soon after previous adjustments.

Rejected