Fiendish Warlock (Adjustment - get rid of 'paths')

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Red Ropes

Fiendish Warlock (Adjustment - get rid of 'paths')

Post by Red Ropes » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:30 pm

I am not sure how much infrastructure there is around the fiendlock and its divergent paths - but I have always found it a little silly that you're either DEMON MAN or DEVIL MAN. There's a lot of weird implications that come form it that set things up rigidly to your exact arrangements RPwise as well.

Right now you're either a "INFERNAL WARLOCK" or an "ABYSSAL WARLOCK". If you choose one you get infernal or abyssal for free.

Infernal is restricted to LE, NE, LN, TN.

Abyssal is restricted to CE, NE, CN, TN.

What I suggest about this - is to get rid of the "paths" and let people develop the depths of their fiendish warlock RP. There are several different kinds of fiends in DnD and many of them allow mortals to barter with them and debase themselves. It wouldn't be that much of a radical change.

Upon taking the path you are eligible for the following:

You may choose between infernal, abyssal, and draconic for free. All of these languages are languages of power. Several kinds of fiends speak all of these languages regardless of their moral alignment. Draconic is not strange either, especially for FR, due to the influence of Tiamat's abishai. (TL;DR pacted can CHOOSE between infernal, abyssal, and draconic at creation / path taken)

Allow the pacted to choose their default stream and include the Yugoloth stream. We currently have Abyssal, Infernal, and Yugoloth streams but you are basically forced to choose one or the other. Like languages; let the summoner choose their default stream and allow them to learn all three (and any future evil outsider or fiendish streams added)!

This gives them a bit more flexibility. Warlocks have everything they need to overcome the "oops I summoned something outside my alignment extremes" with protection from alignment. They shouldn't be restricted - fiendish bargains in FR are not restricted on ideological grounds. Once you get your power you're allowed to do whatever you like with it. Save babies, rescue orphans, or even fight against your patron's masters. They won't care - you're a mortal who will die and they will get what they want from you in the end.

If there is insistence that they must have some weird alignment rubric; just set it up along the lines of:

YUGO DEFAULT: NE, TN
INFERNAL DEFAULT: LE, LN
ABYSSAL DEFAULT: CE, CN

YUGO ADJACENT: LE, TN, LN, CN, CE
INFERNAL ADJACENT: NE
ABYSSAL ADJACENT: NE

summary:

please open up the fiendish warlock so mot accurately represents "fiendish" and doesn't have a typed setup. Let the player choose:

Starting Language. (Abyssal, Infernal, Draconic)
Starting Stream. (Abyssal, Infernal, Yugoloth)

(let warlocks learn all three and any future fiend streams/evil outsiders)

& add the Yugoloth stream to the choices. The yugoloth stream is fully finished and actually follows the warlock 6 slot pattern.

Code: Select all

Infernal/Abyssal Warlock Summons
Level	Spell	               Infernal	                Abyssal            Yugoloth
2	Summon Creature I	Lemure	                 Mane              Battleloth	
8	Summon Creature II	Imp	                         Quasit       Crossbow Battleloth
12	Summon Creature III	Erinyes	                 Succubus      Marraenoloth
17	Summon Creature IV	Osyluth	                 Vrock               Yagnoloth
20	Summon Creature V	Gelugon	                 Glabrezu          Nycaloth
25	Summon Creature VI	Pit Fiend General	 Balor Lord     Ultroloth Commander

As you can see its already pretty much there to be updated and added in.

All in all make warlock a but more interesting - opening it up to be a bit more encompassing of other stuff, and allow it to breath.
🤡

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Fiendish Warlock (Adjustment - get rid of 'paths')

Post by Irongron » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:07 pm

This is impressively detailed, and may be used as a point of reference should the class get reworked, nevertheless rejected, because...
Irongron wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:05 pm
For now I'm going to reject, as I want to steer clear of warlock for the time being. I'm still hoping NWN EE will update to allow new spellbooks, at which point the class would be rebuilt.

Rejected