Sorcerer Balances

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Anomandaris

Sorcerer Balances

Post by Anomandaris » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:43 pm

The recent thread about wizard/sorc got me thinking (disclaimer, I don't currently play a sorc but two Wizards rather). The mechanics here heavily favor Wiz against Sorc, and it affects the class distribution. A few suggestions that could help balance things out.

-Change skill pts/lvl from 2+int modifier to 4+int modifier. This would make them able to actually do more of the fun things skill provide and give them a mechanical boost, not quite to Wizard level due to lack of Int, but enough to make them not skill pt starved.

-Provide a couple feats at certain level progressions that can only be used to take metamagic feats. Seems pretty in line w/ the class and while it wouldn't make up entirely for the feat disparity, it would balance. Keeping this to say 1-3 bonus feats (say 1/10CL) would probably be wise to not make them OP.

-Offer SS path for Sorc as well.

-+ X Bluff/Perform per every Y Class levels.

-If they are feat starved and you won't give them more bonus feats as above, then maybe give them a special feat option for spell foci that improves the DC beyond the comparable. If they're all about raw power shouldn't a sorc be able to push higher DCs? Might see more DC based casters than cloud & IGMS spam builds that way too.

Sorc will still be limited on spell selection which will counter their versatility on slot use. Either way being penalized feats (which are everything on arelith for casters), known spells, AND Skill points is pretty brutal. I hope someone takes a look at this class even if it's to add some small bonuses.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Sorcerer Balances

Post by Irongron » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:14 am

I believe I approved giving them more skill options in another suggestion the other day.

For the rest I don't want to rework Sorc right now, nor change skill points until the secondary skill system has been decided upon.

Rejected.