Orcs and Orog races

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

strong yeet

Orcs and Orog races

Post by strong yeet » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:36 pm

I like orcs a lot. But my only options to play orcs are half-orcs, and orogs -- both of which offer unique roleplaying opportunities that are distinct from all other races -- including, simply, orcs.

Orog roleplay differs greatly from typical Orc RP; they are not tribal, they have no intelligence penalty, and are in many ways socially quite separate from regular orcs and gray orcs.

So I propose, simply, playable gray orcs (perhaps as a minor, since they are only truly common in far-Eastern Faerun... and Sibayad's Orclands) and mountain orcs, with orogs perhaps being moved to a classification of Normal award.

Orcs should be unlike half-orcs mechanically, less inclined to dual-wielding, obviously not with a divine-build slant as orogs are, and more toward straightforward brute strength. Think something similar to gnolls or duergar. Perhaps a bonus of +4 STR with penalties of -2 INT/CHA, a big maybe on free power attack, at 1ECL.

Gray orc racial bonuses should suit their "spiritual" nature, focusing on WIS-based classes like Shaman and Cleric -- but not too much, as many strong feats are keyed off of bonus WIS. Something like +2 STR, +2 WIS, -2 INT, -2 DEX at +1 ECL would suit them fairly well.

Obviously both races would be UD specific, with a possible caveat of being permitted on Sencliff with a reward ala duergar/gnolls/goblins; though in PNP they have issues with Sunlight Sensitivity, perhaps like kobolds this restriction could be lifted. However they should NOT be allowed entrance into the Halfbreed Camp area, much like orogs.

I should note that I'm not particularly attached to these numbers in specific. I just want to play an orc who isn't an aberrant subterranean supersoldier, or someone straddling the line between man and monster. Let me be a regular orc who loves his Gruumsh and dresses in filthy beast hides and has a chief! Let me be an orc!!!

EDIT: I'm also not particularly attached to making orogs a reward race, but it would definitely make them more distinct and "special," driving home that rare-breed superiority aesthetic that the race cultivates.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Orcs and Orog races

Post by Irongron » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:39 pm

Rejected for playable orcs.

These guys need to stay as monsters.