Sailing: No Piracy

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.
TooManyPotatoes

Sailing: No Piracy

Post by TooManyPotatoes » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:59 pm

I'll be the first to admit I don't know how sailing works, but if you're used to using the penny rose to "scour the seas", you might not be aware that choosing "scour the seas" as a boarding capable vessel (e.g. Ironhelm) will include merchant vessels in your potential boarding options.

This has really soured me on sailing after apparently committing mass genocide of innocent merchants and having IG consequences. I've had to roll with it, but have learned I'm not the only one to have fallen prey to this.

Scour the seas is also super vague and doesn't adequately get across that this includes murder of innocents, so at a minimum it would be nice to have a warning in the text or a rewording of it. Especially as the same option where you don't kill innocents (e.g. the Penny Rose) only changes in nature because the vessel I'm using has a grappling hook. There was nothing to indicate this was any different.

Could boats be given the option to NOT commit acts of piracy while they scour the seas? So the option to board a merchant vessel doesn't even come up? Thanks.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Sailing: No Piracy

Post by Irongron » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:11 pm

You should choose not engage if you do not wish to attack that target.

This is also determined by which ship you are on. Some NPC ships WILL NOT commit acts of piracy, so if you don't like the targets you get, find a more reputable NPC ship.

Rejected.