Allow Pre-Existing Monsters (Drow) to Use Reward For Good Alignment

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Za-Lord~s Guard

Allow Pre-Existing Monsters (Drow) to Use Reward For Good Alignment

Post by Za-Lord~s Guard » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:12 pm

While this suggestion is mainly aimed toward drow, the argument could be made for other monsters.

A personal taste of mine is that the Eilistraeean faith is more appealing for the "journey" of becoming good, rather than the destination of being good. The exploration of moral considerations that likely had not occurred to the character before, the failings, the relapses, and the growth toward genuinely being better which is realized upon being "good enough" to get good alignment.

Characters who start with their alignment as good are denied experiencing this, arguably the largest part of an Eilistraeean's story, except for through writing it in to their backstory which they don't get to experience interactively on Arelith.

As there is a precedent with palemasters being able to post-creation use a normal reward to play as a non-evil, could such an extension be made to drow and other monsters? Possibly increasing the required reward level for an active drow's alignment shift over to greater from normal.

This would allow roleplay to govern the rise/fall of goodly drow, rather than it being a set-in-stone from creation matter. Eilistraeeans would be more able to convert other drow, and it would open up new avenues of roleplay and conflict in the Underdark.
"I don't believe in fairies!" - Harry Dresden, the Dresden Files

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Allow Pre-Existing Monsters (Drow) to Use Reward For Good Alignment

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:06 pm

Moving this to rejected for three reasons

1) Giving practicaly any monster the ability to turn 'good' I think would be very popular, too popular in fact. I'd worry that it'd turn the ethos of monster races into - 'Oh, all monsters are really sweet goody twoshoes inside.' Which is implicitly what we DO NOT want.

2) The example given above - (PM using an award to turn neutral) is a real outlayer. This is not something I want to encourage really.

3) Technically this can occur already - by a different method. Simply spend the award at character creation, then ask a DM to shift your alignment to evil or neutral, but make a note of your situaiton. Then - should your pc later be redeemed, you can contact a DM and ask them to give you a shift towards good (Note though that there would need to be a note of your prior shift.) Please note however that all other class restrictions remain - so if you did this on a Drow Blackguard, they'd loose their Blackguard levels.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)