Pickpocket Rule and Functionality Suggestion

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

McPunchins

Pickpocket Rule and Functionality Suggestion

Post by McPunchins » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:24 pm

Currently Pickpocket is a very 1 way hostile action against players and one of the biggest issues that it has is the fact that with little investment a rogue can be insanely hard to catch and just go person to person stealing from everyone without ever interacting with them. So as the product of a discussion in the development channel of the discord I'm writing this down as it seemed the most logical and well rounded way to solve this problem. Here is the suggested changes:

Proposed functional changes to Pickpocket:
  • Remove the ability to pickpocket players from stealth, player characters should require the rogue is not currently stealthed, leave NPC theft the same as it is not a hostile action against a player.
  • Remove the pickpocket animation from both failed and successful attempts because it will cause metagaming
Proposed rule changes for Pickpocket
  • Pickpockets must interact with marks in some way to demonstrate misdirection used in the theft, this will make it not a 1 way hostile action but a 2 way interaction between characters of some kind.
  • Pickpockets are not required to emote physical contact, the contact involved in the attempt should be assumed to exist and does not need to be described as it might lead to metagaming.

Active

Grofbog -- Duergar Smith

Retired

Evelyn Windlily -- Hin Tinker
Lyri Rofik -- Paladin of Arvoreen
Sledge -- Thane of the Anvilsworn
Vespertine -- Mute Hin
Reivja -- Uthgardt Shaman

Discord: @McPunchins

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Pickpocket Rule and Functionality Suggestion

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:13 pm

After some discussion we decided to reject this at this time, though it is thought out and relitivly well balenced, PPing will always be problematic, swinging this way or that, for now we think it's relitivly well balenced.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)