Habitual Planeswalkers Become Native Outsiders

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

perseid

Habitual Planeswalkers Become Native Outsiders

Post by perseid » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:34 am

This idea struck me while one of my characters was talking about how long they've been living off the Prime Material by virtue of their lease. I think it would be interesting if there was a hidden system in place through which characters who spend a /lot/ of time in the planar zones (Abyss, Astrolabe+Connections, Dismal Caverns, Hells, Shadowplane, etc.) could be tagged as "Native Outsiders" or something akin to that and by extension they'd become vulnerable to Dismissal and Banishment in the same way a tiefling is or perhaps in the way that a Rakshasa is vulnerable to Planar Binding.

I don't know exactly how this would be balanced or if it would need to be. Like if there should be a counter-mechanic these characters could use to stay anchored to the Prime Material. But I think it'd add some interesting flavor to the server. While I think things like accelerators to becoming a Native Outsider for characters who own leases in the planes could be a good way to add nuance to the mechanic, at its core this suggestion is meant to also target characters who might just spend more time than most in the planes by virtue of doings like running dungeons/boss-hunting and gathering resources as well and so ideally if it wasn't too tedious I envision this as having a strong time factor as well. If it were to be implemented exactly how I think it might make sense I'd suggest two timers. One that tracks time spent in these types of zones and one that tracks the same but simply continues ticking for as long as you own a shop/quarter lease in a relevant zone with both feeding into the same variable for tracking "planar affinity". This way characters who are "Living amongst the planes" but doing most of their rp on the Prime Material aren't somehow less likely to become Native Outsiders even though their background rp would suggest they should actually be the most likely to convert to Native Outsiders.

If this is too imbalanced against these characters I'd also suggest maybe a boon site or simply a ritual that could be discovered/sought that would help re-anchor the character to the Prime Material.

Alongside this there could be combat log updates akin to those from the current boons where a character who lives in the Shadow Plane for example might get a message along the lines of "As you look around your mind feels foggy with Shadowstuff for a moment." or a Dis resident might get a message like "For a moment you could swear you catch the scent of brimstone in your nostrils but the source is unclear."

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Habitual Planeswalkers Become Native Outsiders

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:14 am

Rejected.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)