Paladin/Cleric or variations

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Mortael

Paladin/Cleric or variations

Post by Mortael » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:11 pm

How feasible would a Paladin/Cleric be? I've never seen anybody attempt one, so does anybody have any suggestions? I think it'd be an interesting class from an RP perspective.

gilescorey

Re: Paladin/Cleric or variations

Post by gilescorey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:38 pm

You can do a CHA-based battlecleric with a dip into paladin for big saves but it's really MAD, even moreso than the usual paladin (think I mentioned something similar in that undead hunter thread) and the two classes can fill a pretty similar role in RP in that they're both religious zealots devoted to certain ideals of certain deities.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:23 pm

I played the evil version of this build around two years ago. The problem is it that, like Giles said, it's very very attribute dependent; Both in terms of starting attribute spreads, and in terms of gearing. Additionally, you end up being very reliant on the cleric-buff-dance; Pretty much every vaguely difficult fight is gonna need a summon/friend to do all the work for you, or is going to need you to drop divine power, divine favor and divine might. The latter especially gets tiring after a while (I personally hated it with a white-hot passion).

Now you can do it, and if you're set on it somebody can help make it serviceable. I personally really enjoyed actually being a religious leader with some actual charisma, so it's very fun role-play wise. But it's real hard to not shoot yourself in the foot as far as either your attribute spread (Taking so little str you can't get a decent AB unbuffed, taking so little con that you die to a stiff breeze, taking so little INT you can't get expertise, or taking so little cha your paladin levels are just worse fighter levels) and gearing.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:05 pm

Another issue with CHA clerics is that the setup is even longer than your standard cleric, as you'll typically be casting both divine might and divine shield in addition to standard cleric buffs. It's a viable and potentially strong build, but if you're not buffed when the **** hits the fan, you'll get chomped. Always pack an extended Gsanc and make sure you have combat casting mode in one of your quickslots.
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:05 pm

I have often considered this mix. Since paladins/clerics both use wis/cha, and str. I would suggest a race that will let you get a couple of gifts to help with the ability pain. The right balance of how many lvl to take of each is probably the big issue.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:37 pm

Sab1 wrote:I have often considered this mix. Since paladins/clerics both use wis/cha, and str. I would suggest a race that will let you get a couple of gifts to help with the ability pain. The right balance of how many lvl to take of each is probably the big issue.
I imagine you likely want to go 23 cleric/4 paladin / something 3.

But yes, unfortunately, you want all your attributes high, except for Dexterity. And if you want to cast 9th level cleric spells, you want 19 wisdom. I can see it being a total nightmare unless you forego the idea of being a melee'er, and go a caster route, and pick up Zen Archery, or just spam Hammer of the Gods and take esf: evo. But then, I guess paladin is just for Divine Shield and high saves? :S
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

BlossomSeason

Post by BlossomSeason » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:16 am

You want to make STR your main stat. You need a minimum of 19 WIS, and 14 CHA.

Cleric/Paladin builds have never been amazing compared to the alternatives, but now they are even harder to work out in a satisfactory fashion, due to attribute gifts being limited to a maximum of 2.
You'll be forced to sacrifice your CON, which is a pretty big deal.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:07 am

Back when bene8ck was standing, I played a Paladin 6 / CCOT 10, Cleric 14. Between the saves, Devine shield and heal/greater restoration spells, he was a great team player.

Could easily be the last one standing... and then get everyone up and going again to. Hot points were pretty low however