high dexterity bard

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Void

high dexterity bard

Post by Void » Sat May 26, 2018 5:42 pm

What would you suggest for a high-dexterity bard?

Thinking to aim for Bard 30 or Bard 26/4 something.

Weapon finesse path + melee weapons (maybe shield and parry) OR shortbow (rapid shot + point blank shot)?

Or perhaps both?

As far as I can tell with exception of certain spells (improved invisibility?) in case of bards I wouldn't be able to do the usual conjuration thing where the character uses summons to steamroll enemies, even with GSF conjuration.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Ironsoul

Re: high dexterity bard

Post by Ironsoul » Sat May 26, 2018 6:16 pm

I played one to 30 a long long long time ago. You're going to want 4 of a full bab class before epics for max attacks per round because your damage is going to be really low.

It was a great companion character and brought so much efficiency to the party and was decently hard to kill with a high AC.

However the low damage meant you 100% needed a good party to get anything done. I didn't mind much at the time because I had a great group of players that all mirrored my play times perfectly and the character never really operated alone.

With my current playtimes I probably would never consider playing a dex anything ever again. So just be prepared for some slow times as you get into the higher teens and epics if you dont have anyone around you can play with.

I had good times with a rapier + shield.

Someone more build savy will probably chime in shortly with the best bang for your buck. I'd avoid range. My character was Ranger/Bard archer and without a party it was rough.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sat May 26, 2018 6:53 pm

Using summon creature scrolls is an option, though expensive and possibly unreliable to always have on hand.

5 levels of shadowdancer would get you what is arguably the best summon in the game, some sneak attack damage and hide in plain sight. You'd be able to level pretty well for a while but probably run out of steam.

Those are probably your best 2 options. Strength based is always better of course but there's something to be said for being able to actually use the spells and the bard's stealth skills since you won't have to wear heavy armor.

Also you get a little xp from pickpocketing monsters though I don't think this is anything you can build a character around.

Not every character has to breeze to level 30 solo, so if this is something you want to try rp-wise I say go for it, a bard can be a fun character to RP at any level.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sat May 26, 2018 7:04 pm

Dex based bard pros/cons

Pros
-Higher AC when in combat
-Access to stronger bard song abilities (epic inspiration or whatever its called makes bardsong last 10 rl minutes or so)
-Buffs are harder to dispel. Slightly more spellcasting slots avaliable

Cons
-Mediocre to poor AB/BAB growth
-TERRIBLE AC without uncanny dodge whenever you're not standing upright in combat with no dehbilitating effects on you (your character sheet? its lying to you)
-Damage is going to be seriously lacking without some help

Some class suggestions for a small multiclass bump?
Paladin: Add your CHA to saves and if you have the STR to spare, get divine might to help you deal some damage
Barbarian: Get uncanny dodge, a movement speed bonus, and a small BAB bump. This is the ONLY full BAB class that gets uncanny dodge.
Shadowdancer: Youll be strictly a support bard for the most part, but you'll be able to escape dangerous situations rather quickly.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sat May 26, 2018 7:20 pm

What msterswrdsmn said.

I wouldn't question anything of the above, what concerns combat.

You might however also consider something "wild", to get the most out of DEX: A stealther. But then you need to think "sneak" instead of "fight". In other words, rogue. There, I said it.

A minor cookie is that a DEX'er in combat, the only equipment that can trigger arcane spell failure 5%, will be a greensteel shield. (But don't forget concentration).

I know that most build experts facepalm reading this, and for many good reasons, the strongest being that you will get a really lousy combat bard. But if you like to get around fast without being seen and killed, it's worth a try!

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sat May 26, 2018 8:28 pm

Rangers get uncanny dodge at lvl 7 on Arelith, but that’s A pretty heavy investment

Void

Post by Void » Sat May 26, 2018 9:02 pm

Cuchilla wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:20 pm
What msterswrdsmn said.

I wouldn't question anything of the above, what concerns combat.

You might however also consider something "wild", to get the most out of DEX: A stealther. But then you need to think "sneak" instead of "fight". In other words, rogue. There, I said it.

A minor cookie is that a DEX'er in combat, the only equipment that can trigger arcane spell failure 5%, will be a greensteel shield. (But don't forget concentration).

I know that most build experts facepalm reading this, and for many good reasons, the strongest being that you will get a really lousy combat bard. But if you like to get around fast without being seen and killed, it's worth a try!
I played a sneaky dex archer ranger recently, so I was considering something different. My ranger had no issue going unseen pretty much anywhere, so with a bard I'd end up with largely identical character... though I haven't played a shadowdancer yet.

Interesting that so far nobody said anything about bows. The problem here is that bard can't access archer path, of course, and crafting arrows normally is seriously annoying.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra » Sat May 26, 2018 9:14 pm

If you want a DEX based bard, I would recommend going 21/6/3 Bard/Fighter/Rogue. You will want fighter for the 4 APR and EWS, for certain. Rogue will help your lacking damage output with some sneak attack and rogue skills.

You could start with rogue and go 4/6/20 Rogue/Fighter/Bard (3/5/12 Pre-epic) if you wanted some more skill points, possibly to handle locks and traps. Even with 3 rogue you should be able to handle a lot of them if you are properly geared and self buff with your bard song. Though this build is very skill tight.