Werewolf Ranger

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Senshi
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Werewolf Ranger

Post by Senshi » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Hello,

This may be a hard one to make work.. I hope you epic build makers out there can help me.

I'd like to play a ranger who becomes a werewolf and has the most ability to control it. I also hear they are tanky and not very good at damage. So if possible. Ability to do damage. Wolf pets will do damage but won't help when they are dead.

Wolf totem in the end.

Focus on great sword and have basic lock pick ability.

Yep... Hard.

Please help 😁
Last edited by Senshi on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Characters: Velem'vor

I do YT stuff.. IndieSenshi

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Werewolf Ranger

Post by Wytchee » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:25 pm

Ideally it would be a mix of rogue/ranger/blackguard. It would be Charisma-based.

Edit: at least 3/4ths of your levels in Ranger for animal companionship.

I'd go Elf or Halfling for the dex boost and see if I can't find a way to eek out Blinding Speed, which is an instant action now so should let you get off your divine might/shield in a single round.

So you should shoot for 25 dex (simply for Blinding Speed) and as much charisma as possible.

EDIT 2: keep in mind you're going to be attacking your own companions frequently.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:28 am

Mind you, a character like the one you propose will never be optimal but it could make for a fun concept.

You could go for mainly ranger levels as fav. enemies will help your damage more than a bit. If you get 21 ranger levels you will have 5 fav. enemies and five studied enemies which your damage will only be gimped against a handful of critters. Against fav./studied enemies it'll be half decent:

Lvl 30:
1d3 + 5 + 2d6 + 14

If you can squeeze in some divine might, weapon spec (+6 dmg) and/or sneak attack it will not be terrible.

For maximum control you could ditch the greatsword and make an archer or sniper with zen archery and go wis-based. That would increase your will save significantly although it'll gimp your AC and it's easer to get +12 dex soft than wis for a ranger. Unless you know a druid who can scribe owl's insight scrolls. Could work well enough pve with animal companion and dominated critters to draw aggro plus you will get HiPS.

Another route is to get som BG lvls and pump charisma.

You probably need to decide if you want to rely on werewolf and make your humanoid shape tolerable or focus on humanoid shape and mainly see the werewolf part as an important part of the character's rp but not the source of mechanical strength. It is easier to make a character that works well in humanoid form and makes for an ok werewolf than to make a more than ok werewolf without having to compromise your humanoid shape.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:33 pm

Having to be a ranger part makes this difficult since they dont have high base will save. Also unless you are going archer path, you are throwing your dual wield benefits out the window.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Senshi

Post by Senshi » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:53 am

I'm starting to think playing the last survivor of an Uthgar totem wolf pack who seeks out the werewolf gift to rebuild his pack is not something that could be done easy..

Any other builds based around seeking werewolf as a pack life choice viable?

Senshi

Post by Senshi » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:57 am

Actually I'll make a separate thread. Please lock post.