Due to the lack of ranged discussion, this thread will focus on the discussion of ranged character builds for all races. Emphasis should be on ranged weaponry (Bows, Crossbows, Slings, and Throwing Weapons) rather than using those to augment melee or spellcasting. (exceptions being the Zen Archery where wisdom will come nicely with Clerics, Druids, Shamans, and/or Monks)
Keep in mind that while comparison of builds with each other from time to time is welcomed, encouraged even, please don't disrespect or dissuade other players by telling others that their build is trash and why they should play ____ instead. Giving a better build path or class composition is a better and friendlier choice in this matter.
The list may be extended with more once others come up with and discuss more comprehensive builds.
Note: The ones with a red asterisk (*) mean it is either a meme-build or an old build that has likely turned obsolete by an update.
Note 2: A few of the builds below may still require updating due to haks changes.
Generic Ranged: (Non-AAs for all races, accessible with normal RPR)
- Ranger 21 / Fighter 6 / Specialist 3 | 23/4/3 Variant | 27/3 Variant - Basic Archer build for all races [Post-Haks]
- Ranger 24 / Paladin or BG 3 / Monk 3 (Lawful Good/Evil only) - High AC, good saves, but relatively low AB and more effort to gear. [Post-Haks] Nerfed!
- Ranger 21 / Monk 3 / Fighter 6 - Halfling Hermit (Shuriken - Lawful Only): High AB, decent AC, decent saves, but low str. [Post-Haks]
- Rogue 25 / Ranger 5 - Lots of skill points, sneak attack dice, and utility grenades. [Post-Haks]
- Rogue 24 / Fighter 6 - Jack edited, less skill points and sneak attack die than the ranger split but more sustained damage. No Ammo Creation [Post-Haks]
- Ranger 5 / Monk 4 / Rogue 21 - Halfling Ninja (Shuriken/Lawful only): Immunity to IGMS, Rogue's Smoke Screen, and Shuriken. [Post-Haks]
- *Bard 4 / Ranger 10 / BG 16 - (Evil Only, Slings Suggested): Hard early levels, the main focus is on utilizing summon and support it with ranged attacks.
- *Barbarian (Tribal) 22 / Ranger (Archer) 5 / Rogue 3 - Tankier build with high base hp and tribesmen. Decent solo option for pre-epic contents.
- *Ranger 23 / Paladin 4 / Bard 3 - (Lawful Good only): Jack's Special, higher AC, more offensive burst, but lower AB and harder to gear.
Note: the Harper variant is a direct improvement of this build.
- Bard 5 / Paladin 6 / AA 19, Defensive Variant - (Lawful Good only): Jack Edited, high dmg, high AB, high AC, good saves, but high wind-up time. [Post-Haks]
- Ranger 9 / Paladin or BG 3 / AA 18 | 7/4/19 AB Variant | 9/3/18 Abj Variant - (LG only): Jack's Edited, good all-rounder AA build. [Post-Haks]
- Ranger 7 / AA 13 / SD 10 - Dr. B's Special: Epic Dodge, HiPS everywhere, DR piercing, same AB as the basic Ranger Archer build but with a lot less damage. A very slippery build. [Post-Haks]
- Fighter 8/ Bard 4 / AA 18 - More sustained damage and feats, less stat-intensive gearing-wise. [Post-Haks]
- Ranger 21 / AA 9 - Most skill points and natural HiPS with DR piercing shots. [Post-Haks]
- Ranger 5 / AA 19 / Fighter 6 - More consistent firepower and feats at the cost of defense. [Post-Haks]
- *Ranger 7 / SD 5 / AA 18 - HiPS, Woodland Stride, Evasion, a very slippery AA at the cost of firepower and AB. Comparable to Ranger 21 / AA 9 with more AB but less Damage and skill points.
- Cleric Healer 27 / Monk 3 - (Drow or Kobold/Crossbow): No access to Repeater Crossbow due to low dex and unable to meet the prerequisite for Rapid Shot. No Ammo Creation [Post-Haks] Nerfed!
- Shaman 23 / Ranger 4 / Barb 3 - Powerful summons with Elemental Swarm and Aura of Vitality, that and high damage per shot with throwing axe to support the summons. [Post-Haks]
- Paladin 23 / Ranger 4 / Monk 3 - (Shuriken/Lawful Good Only): Joe's Special, can trade Ranger levels with more Paladin levels for higher CL and dispel resistance. [Post-Haks]
- *Cleric 23 / Ranger 4 / Rogue 3 - Available for any race, slings suggested in order to utilize shield slot. Can also go for Cleric 26 / Ranger 4 spread at the cost of UMD and Tumble dump. 27/3 for even higher CL and dispel resist at the cost of 2 damage. Can move rogue levels further higher to get higher Bluff base ranks
- *Cleric 23 / Ranger 4 / Monk 3 - (Shuriken/Lawful Only): Jack's Special, Edited, see original
Note: This build requires a lot of juggling around all different sorts of stats. Not recommended to players in general.
- Ranger 22 / Harper Paragon 5 / Monk 3 - (Lawful, non-Evil only): Highest AC archer with just as deadly AB [Post-Haks] Nerfed!
- Ranger 21 / Harper Paragon 5 / Fighter 4 - (Non-Evil Only): Jack's Special [Post-Haks] Nerfed!
- Ranger 22 / Harper Paragon 5 / Rogue 3 - Harper Paragon (Non-Evil Only): Jack's Special Nerfed!
- Ranger 7 / Assassin 18 / Shadowdancer 5 - Shadowdancer (Evil only): Jack's Special
- *Bard 5 / Pale Master 15 / Arcane Archer 10 - Palemaster (Elf only): Jack's Special
Note: The Assassin's assassinate ability doesn't seem to work with ranged weaponry
- *Ranger 21 / Monk 3 / Assassin 6 - Ranger Assassin (Shuriken/Lawful Evil only): Jack's Special
- *Fighter 8 / Monk 3 / Assassin 19, Midget Shinobi (Shuriken/Lawful Evil only): Low Str, not recommended for new players!
- *Ranger 7 / Assassin 9 / AA 14 - Arcane Assassin (Bow/Evil Elf only): Jack Edited
- *Ranger 21 / Blackguard 4 / Assassin 5 - Blackguard (Evil only): Jack's Special
Ashwood Launchers Materials List
Ranger's Favored/Studied Enemies List and Guide (compiled by Garrbear)
Ranged Average Damage in different Scenarios
Ranger Animal Companion Snapshot (level 24)
Links, images, and comprehensive level lists will be much appreciated!