Spellsword Abdicate school of choice

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Drovak

Spellsword Abdicate school of choice

Post by Drovak » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:52 pm

What is the best school to abdicate? Also, spells like "Flame weapon" stack with the normal Imbue from the class?

BoltNRun

Re: Spellsword Abdicate school of choice

Post by BoltNRun » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:58 pm

Hullo!

I've always been told that enchantment is the best school to drop. You lose some party spells like mass haste but I think it's better then losing premonition from divination.

As for what spells stack with your imbue you can check this -> http://wiki.arelith.com/Spell_changes

In Arelith the weapon buffs are either restricted or not. That link will tell you which ones are able to be stacked or applied to your weapon.

This link -> http://wiki.arelith.com/Spellsword

The link above will tell you about your imbuing and which spells counts as an imbue as well what damage die you will get.

I am new to Arelith myself but I hope I have helped somewhat!

Drovak

Post by Drovak » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:00 pm

Thanks! This clarified everything!

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:44 pm

Enchantment also means letting go if protection from spells which is a bit of a loss.

Straxus
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Straxus » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:14 am

I myself chose not to use Necromancyn as it may be looked down on by characters who are more good aligned, even though I am true neutral. It made sense to me anyway.
Arod (semi-retired)
Jacho Blake

Rigela

Post by Rigela » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:06 am

Mass haste and protection from spells have been moved out of enchantment, making it effectively the default choice to drop now.
Isabella Isherwood - Priestess of Selune
Piper Barley - Joybringer of Lliira

The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:52 pm

Enchantment is the best to drop. Unless you were planning on using it offensively, it doesn't have anything that really helps the buff and strike gameplay the spellsword oft has. The focus no longer contributes to crafting either, so there's really no reason to keep it.

I rather regret dropping necro on my spellsword, the necro imbue is great for a lot of PvM content.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:09 am

Enchantment.

Period.

End of discussion.

There is no future or playstyle as a Spellsword that benefits from dropping anything *other* than enchantment.

Others have mentioned Mass Haste and Protection from Spells, but as Rigela said: Those have been moved (to Transmutation and Abjuration respectively). This means there is NO downside to dropping Enchantment except losing Dominate spells/Confusion/a handful of others that you won't use as a Spellsword anyway.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:46 am

Why am I not playing a spellsword right now is the only question I have to ask myself.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:52 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:46 am
Why am I not playing a spellsword right now is the only question I have to ask myself.
Its a very good question. I recommend the quarterstaff build with the late monk dip. I think it's Jack's.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Apokriphos

Post by Apokriphos » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:13 pm

Jack Oat wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:09 am
Enchantment.

Period.

End of discussion.

There is no future or playstyle as a Spellsword that benefits from dropping anything *other* than enchantment.

Others have mentioned Mass Haste and Protection from Spells, but as Rigela said: Those have been moved (to Transmutation and Abjuration respectively). This means there is NO downside to dropping Enchantment except losing Dominate spells/Confusion/a handful of others that you won't use as a Spellsword anyway.

This is of course, absolutely terrible. There should be no single school that removing it so clearly benefits the player.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=26168

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:34 pm

It could use a boost but I think it being the mandatory disposable school is only true for spellswords. A regular wizard can also opt for illusion specialization and block it if they're going for maximum power but on the other hand the dominate spells are incredibly powerful and fun for wrecking PVE content.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:41 am

Has it crossed anyone's mind ( in the dev team ) that spellswords might need to be looked over?

It's kind of a big deal when I, a guy who would never touch a mage, is considering playing one.

Straxus

Post by Straxus » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:08 pm

So I would never suggest or as a DM force a player to not use Necromancy because he or she is not evil, but my reasoning for picking necromancy and not another was simply put, My spellsword is not evil, and in my honest opinion it doesn't make sense for him (IC) to have Necromancy.

Necromancy draws it very power from evil and negative sources. The very things I end up fighting on a daily basis.

I think, if you look into how your planning on playing your character, you could essentially pick any school. But my guess is almost any spellsword picked basically the same thing as the next... just not me. He he he .
Arod (semi-retired)
Jacho Blake

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:00 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:41 am
Has it crossed anyone's mind ( in the dev team ) that spellswords might need to be looked over?

It's kind of a big deal when I, a guy who would never touch a mage, is considering playing one.
To be fair, they are really strong right now but I wouldnt go as far as saying they need to be looked at. In terms of numbers, they dont reach anything really crazy good. From my experience playing one to early epics, they are simply very fun and have a lot of answers to different dungeons, bosses, situations, etc. They didnt feel imbalanced from the player experience end for me. I think that, if you lvl a spellsword to 30 and dip, then, perhaps you unlock some options who might be a bit too much (true strike round with 10 imbue procs comes to mind) but they do have their fair share of counterplay and weaknesses none the less. I definitely recommend the class because it's fun and far from weak.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:25 pm

Well, the thing is I was going to open up my case by going "Breach on hit is on kind of nuts", but then I looked at what other imbues do and...

They're all nuts.

Silence on hit, breach on hit for the mages.

Cold, fire for everyone else. ( Not a spellsword player so feel free to correct me )

PvE they have heal on hit, but that's alright. I like doing PvE without needing to heal kit every two seconds.

Anyway, thing about the way saves work is that a mage can dish out a good amount of DC spells your way, but he's gonna run out of them eventually. Not the case with any 'on hit' property, and the DCs being up to 41, that's no joke.

I'd say everything is fine about the class but it's imbue property, while at the same time the imbue is the bread and butter of the class. Still, it should be looked into. I'd get rid of the breach entirely, cold imbue shouldn't drop your APR, all DCs should be lowered ( especially if spellcrafting doesn't help you with passing the save ), and the AC/AB reduction numbers should be dropped by 1 ( so its +1/+2/+3 and -1/-2/-3. )

The silence on hit is insane. That shouldn't exist to begin with. And it's me talking, the guy who hates/doesn't plays mages. It's just an opinion, anyway. A class that can do anything on it's own and fight any builds on it's own is a little bit too much.

Straxus

Post by Straxus » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:14 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:25 pm
Well, the thing is I was going to open up my case by going "Breach on hit is on kind of nuts", but then I looked at what other imbues do and...

They're all nuts.

Silence on hit, breach on hit for the mages.

Cold, fire for everyone else. ( Not a spellsword player so feel free to correct me )

PvE they have heal on hit, but that's alright. I like doing PvE without needing to heal kit every two seconds.

Anyway, thing about the way saves work is that a mage can dish out a good amount of DC spells your way, but he's gonna run out of them eventually. Not the case with any 'on hit' property, and the DCs being up to 41, that's no joke.

I'd say everything is fine about the class but it's imbue property, while at the same time the imbue is the bread and butter of the class. Still, it should be looked into. I'd get rid of the breach entirely, cold imbue shouldn't drop your APR, all DCs should be lowered ( especially if spellcrafting doesn't help you with passing the save ), and the AC/AB reduction numbers should be dropped by 1 ( so its +1/+2/+3 and -1/-2/-3. )

The silence on hit is insane. That shouldn't exist to begin with. And it's me talking, the guy who hates/doesn't plays mages. It's just an opinion, anyway. A class that can do anything on it's own and fight any builds on it's own is a little bit too much.
I do feel that this is getting off topic, but, I (being that this is all about the character I am playing) am very interested in continuing this conversation. Maybe we should start a new thread about it.
Arod (semi-retired)
Jacho Blake

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:58 am

It's getting out of topic, I agree. Can continue it elsewhere.

Might-N-Magic

Post by Might-N-Magic » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:06 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:46 am
Yes, they're quite ridiculous at the moment.
When you take an entire party to kill Abazuur and find a lone elf spellsword has solo'd it (or can solo any other shrine guardian boss easily), they're more than a bit overmuch. :P

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:44 pm

Jack Oat wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:09 am
Enchantment.

Period.

End of discussion.

Oat speaks truth.

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry